AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm being guided toward a Sim2 Domino 30H for my dedicated, light controlled theater (110" 16:9 screen, seating at 12 feet and 18 feet). I've read lots of reviews of, for example, Optoma 78 and 79 (which have the dark chip 3), but not the Domino30H which uses the prior generation chip.

Anyone have a chance to look at this projector, do comparisons, post reviews? I haven't found much on this. How does the Domino 30H compare to Optoma H7x or other comparably priced machines?

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I have had the Domino 30H. Good unit. There are pros and cons to the ones you are considering. The Sim2 build quality is better for sure, warranty is handled quicker, it has more tweaking features, etc... The Optomas advantages are latest chip, quieter, a good amount brighter, and less money. I would encourage you to take a look at both if possible.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason. What do you think the price difference would be? Not looking for you to identify street prices on both machines, but rather just the approximate dollar difference between the two pjs. $500? $1,000?

Which would you personally rather put in your dedicated HT if it was as I identified, above?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've got a 30H in my dedicated HT and am very pleased with it. I've had it for about a year, so I can't tell you exactly what other PJ's I compared it to (I know Domino 20, and I think they were Sonys and Sharps).

Fan noise isn't too bad, and unless you're watching a quiet movie (chick flick?) I don't notice it at all. Noise is louder in the back row, but I don't sit there. :D

I've had a room full of users say they were jealous of the image I get with all of my room lights on. (except for the front stage - and even WITH the front stage lights on it's not too bad)

I also like the fact that the bulb life is ridiculously long on the 30H - something that can't be said for most PJ's.

You don't find many Domino users in here - espcially 30's. The HTLink's seem to get most of the Sim2 attention, but those were outside of my $$$ range.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Correct the Domino 30H retails at $6495. You'd have to check with your dealer to see what they'd sell it for though. Note that Sim2 did also drop pricing on the HT300E series so they are more competitive now as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the opportunity once to do a side by side at my dealer's shop in central FL between Domino 30, Infocus 7205 and Runco 710.

Due to contrast ratio and color accuracy I went with sim2, plus, the unit also looked very nice.

I did not hear a difference in noise level and felt that the light output on the domino was sufficient for my home theater application.

That was my second sim2 unit, now I want to see their latest cx3.

Cheers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've had a Domino 30 for several months now and am very pleased. I'm using it with a Studiotek 130 screen and have a light controlled room resulting in plenty of brightness and contrast. I upgraded from a SIM2 HT200 and the biggest difference was resolution and contrast. I always thought I had a good picture with the HT200 and a Grayhawk screen but this is a significant improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.