AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, have been trying to figure out the best way to get Hi-Res audio into my Denon S750H that doesn’t include using the horrible HEOS app. Started looking into network streamers and such, then heard about Roon and thought maybe I could get a small NUC setup for my purposes. Then I realized if I’m going to connect a computer to my receiver, maybe I should at least start off with a good platform in case I eventually want to use it for HT purposes. Can anyone point me to a beginner’s guide so I can get started? The sticky threads here seem to be at least 10 years old.

·
Registered
883 Posts
GPU's are obscenely expensive right now so unless you have one lying around I'd say build the rest of the PC and wait to buy the GPU until you want to use that rig for HT

I don't have a guide but crypto has pushed the prices of GPUs to the moon. I can sell ones I bought 3 years ago for the MSRP i bought them for....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I even need a GPU? I thought onboard video was sufficient for everything but gaming...

·
Registered
883 Posts
Do I even need a GPU? I thought onboard video was sufficient for everything but gaming...
Depends on how you want to watch and what the bitrates/resolutions are, for 4k blurays it's probably best to just get a bluray player. There isn't much use in processing the image with current hardware and panels. You can get around that copy protection with drives with the proper DRM scheme (intel's cpus also can deal with the DRM now). But it's easier and about the same price just to use the player.

But for let's say a 1080p bluray on a 4k screen, then you will need a GPU for processing to get best results or it's not that different from a shield or whatever. And that is even more true for DVD's

So long story short you only "need" the GPU if you want to upscale SD content, which is where tehse things really shine. At 4k the gains are minimal for 4k uhd bluray relative to watching a DVD on a 4k screen. And it can't give you dolby vision (although there is dynamic tone mapping you can use)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the reply. I have a Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player. Was mainly thinking about KODI, I guess. My AppleTV 4k can probably do almost everything else I need. As I'm typing this, I think I'm realizing I probably don't need anything special, or at least anything more than I would already be building for audio streaming.

Reactions: Goyle99

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I have a Panasonic UB820 Blu-ray player. Was mainly thinking about KODI, I guess. My AppleTV 4k can probably do almost everything else I need. As I'm typing this, I think I'm realizing I probably don't need anything special, or at least anything more than I would already be building for audio streaming.
Exactly with CPU only you're not really going to be making a rational purchasing choice when you have other streaming devices

GPU upscaling is really the only place the cost is worth it.

THere are some uses for projectors too if you have one because of the dynamic tone mapping abilities. Doesn't look like you do but just in case

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Hey all, have been trying to figure out the best way to get Hi-Res audio into my Denon S750H that doesn’t include using the horrible HEOS app.
Disclaimer: I'm not sure this would apply to you since I have an X4500h., and I'm not sure of your source for the HiRes audio files
However for my local HiRes files I use JRiver on my laptop.
1. Turn on receiver
2. Select HEOS Music input
3. Start JRiver
4. Select the Denon as a remote renderer
5. Highlight the library and then the selection(s) that I want to play (double left click to start immediately)
In my case the HiRes files live on a separate JRiver server in PCM, FLAC, or APE files,
Volume, pause fast forward, rewind, next selection etc. are all done through the JRiver app on the laptop.
6. (optional) If I need to change to a different DSP I use the Denon app on my Android phone.

Denon is on Gigabit Ethernet, laptop is on WiFi on the same subnet as the receiver.

·
Registered
883 Posts
oh yea for audio I would just use optical if you really hate the app

I use HDMI because i also use it for HTPC and need the bandwidth for multi channel support. IDK about using the igpu hdmi windows/mobo might mess with the sound. That's another option as well if you can get it to bitsream to the AVR.

Make sure you're letting the software get exclusive output whatever you do and it should be all basically teh same if it's digital.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disclaimer: I'm not sure this would apply to you since I have an X4500h., and I'm not sure of your source for the HiRes audio files
However for my local HiRes files I use JRiver on my laptop.
1. Turn on receiver
2. Select HEOS Music input
3. Start JRiver
4. Select the Denon as a remote renderer
5. Highlight the library and then the selection(s) that I want to play (double left click to start immediately)
In my case the HiRes files live on a separate JRiver server in PCM, FLAC, or APE files,
Volume, pause fast forward, rewind, next selection etc. are all done through the JRiver app on the laptop.
6. (optional) If I need to change to a different DSP I use the Denon app on my Android phone.

Denon is on Gigabit Ethernet, laptop is on WiFi on the same subnet as the receiver.
No local files at all. Want to stream Hi-Res from Tidal.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts