AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Dear Set,

In order to make the proper screen selection for a particular projector and room, please

indicate the following.

1. Desired screen size and aspect ratio.

2. If projector is going to be ceiling mounted or floor mounted.

3. Ambient light conditions. (I know...You have already stated a dark environment but other people will be reading this also)

4. Room finish. Wall, ceiling and floor covering colors. ( This is more important than most people realize. It helps approximate the room's light cross reflection characteristics. This can reduce image contrast considerably).

5. Approximate Throw distance. Throw distance is very important when using a screen with gain. The longer the throw distance, the more uniform the image will be in the extreme corners and sides of the screen. This is simply because the incident light will be striking the screen corners more in parallel with the center of the screen.

Please note that I have not had the pleasure to view and, more importantly, measure light output/ contrast, on the new Sharp 9000 projector. I can say that the reviews on this forum have been very good. I look forward to getting one in my hands.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
479 Posts
Don,

Here are my answers. I'm also pursuing screen options for the 9000.

Quote:
Screen size: 52"x92" (106" diagonal)

Aspect ratio: 16:9

Quote:
Ceiling mounted

Quote:
3. Ambient light conditions. (I know...You have already stated a dark environment but other people will be reading this also)
Completely light controlled 90% of the time. Want to be able to turn up lights enough to see guests' faces and the popcorn bowl 10% of the time.

Quote:
4. Room finish. Wall, ceiling and floor covering colors. ( This is more important than most people realize. It helps approximate the room's light cross reflection characteristics. This can reduce image contrast considerably).
Ceiling: 12" white acoustical tiles

Walls: Light "tannish yellow" drywall

Floor: Beige wall-to-wall carpeting

Quote:
5. Approximate Throw distance. Throw distance is very important when using a screen with gain. The longer the throw distance, the more uniform the image will be in the extreme corners and sides of the screen. This is simply because the incident light will be striking the screen corners more in parallel with the center of the screen.
18 feet

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, Don.

The specifics are:

1. 72" wide 16x9

2. Ceiling mount

3. Mostly night time viewing. Heavy curtains over the windows. Very little ambient light.

4. The floor is medium brown, wall to wall carpeting. The ceiling is white and the walls are a med. tan, straw-like wallpaper.

5. Throw distance will be around 14-15'.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Hi Don. I like the others mentioned above will be pursuing the Sharp XV-=Z9000. Hopefully you will have one soon to do your mesurements.

Quote:
Size- 92"

Aspect ratio: 16:9

Quote:
Ceiling

Quote:
No light in the room at all. Totally blacked out using Black out curtains.

Quote:
4. Room finish. Wall, ceiling and floor covering colors. ( This is more important than most people realize. It helps approximate the room's light cross reflection characteristics. This can reduce image contrast considerably)
Ceiling- White/Cream Concrete

Floor- Carpet Dark Blue Wall to Wall

Walls- White/Cream plastered wall from the ceiling to half way, and then timber brown from the half way point to the floor.

Quote:
Throw distance 4.5 Meters (14-15 Feet)

Thanks,

Spero D.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hi Don!

Thanks much for taking the time to answer this question. I have a rather non-ideal environment, so your advice is much appreciated.

Quote:
106" - 120" diagonal 16x9

Quote:
Ceiling. I will be using the Sharp's "image shift" feature, as the projector will not be able to be significantly lower than the top edge of the screen.

Quote:
For movies, we should be able to make it quite dark. However, we also intend to watch television on this system, so it needs to be usable in brighter conditions. "Dimly lit" is the only way I can think to describe it.

Quote:
Off-white walls. Beige carpet. We're renting, so we don't have a lot of flexibility on this point. Drilling the holes for the ceiling mount is right at the limits of acceptability.

Quote:
5. Approximate Throw distance.
Approximately 15-16 feet.

I've "inherited" a Videomatte 200 screen which I will use for starters, but I may be able to replace the screen material down the line if there's a better fit.

Best,

--Mike

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Gentlemen,

I am sorry that I have not been able to respond quickly. I have be having a little bout with kidney stones and ended up in surgery this last Thursday evening.

Mr Set.... with the screen size that you stated, I would use a .95 gain GrayHawk. If the specs that Sharp has published are fairly close to being real, then you will have over 37 Foot Lamberts in the 800 lumen setting and about 28 Foot Lamberts in the 600 Lumen theater mode. You will also be able to have some "down lighting" over the seating area with minimum impact on the screen image. Even if the Sharp 9000 does not have the horse power as advertised your set up

has a lot of head room for a lower output projector.

As for the others (with much larger screen sizes) who have asked for my opinion on screen selection, I would prefer to get a Sharp 9000 into our facility and do some actual testing. When I get back to the office this Monday we will put the call out to try to secure a 9000 for study. In the meantime, keep reading forum member reviews and note what type and size of screen that they have seen the the Sharp 9000 displayed on.

Regards,

Don

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Thanks, and speedy recovery!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Well...its Tuesday, Nov 6th, almost 6:00 PST and the Sharp was suppose to be here today.

I checked the dock at 5:00 and it did not arrive.

We will call Sharp in the morning to ask were the unit is.

Regards,

Don

PS: I was just informed by one of our staff that Sharp did call and advised us that the unit did ship Monday, via 2 day air.

It sounds like we may have it sometime in the morning.

Don

·
Registered
581 Posts
FYI.

I have a dealer here in Switzerland that has a Stewart Screen that is half Grayhawk and half Studiotek 130!

I might be going over some times this week...

Incase Don hasn't posted his "verdict" I'll try and give a few impressions.

Cheers

Anthony

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Gentlemen,

I spent about 3 hours with the Sharp today. We took light output, on/off contrast ratios, and color temp measurements.

Please give me 24 hours to summarize the data and I will report back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Don

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.