AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm pumped. I ordered the Greyhawk screen in a 72x40.5 size. That's the max I could do, the whole system should arrive in a couple of weeks. The question I have is should I build a pc for my home theater. It sounds like the resolution is much better than what I can achieve with a progressive dvd player. However, do you lose the remote control capabilities of your dvd and can a novice get this thing to work.

Thanks for the help.

Steve:confused:

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Steve,

You don't have to worry about the DVD player if you use an HTPC - the HTPC *IS* the DVD player.

The HTPC can read a DVD in its own DVD drive. You can control the HTPC remotely if you have a remote

keyboard that works via IR remote. A programmable remote, like the Pronto, and others; can then be

setup to mimic the keystrokes that control the DVD player functions.

By having the HTPC read the DVD in its own drive, you have the advantage of keeping the signal in the

digital domain as much as possible. A DVD player will convert the digital data to an analog format

to send over the interconnect cables to the HTPC or scaler, which has to convert it from analog

back to digital for processing. Keeping it all in one box - the HTPC - saves a redundant D/A to A/D

step, and any consequent degradation of signal.

The HTPC has a lot of flexibility - which may require some expertise on the part of the operator.

You can alway get "turn-key" HTPC systems that are setup for computer novices. The gracious host of

this forum, Alan Gouger and Co., also sell these "turn-key" HTPC systems - perhaps you should check

them out.

Greg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Morbius,

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to hear that a remote can be used. I will check into the home theater PC that's already set up for rookies like me. Do you happen to know if one has many problems with the reliability of these computers not so much from hardware but software etc.

One more question, I'm looking at purchasing the new prontopro, it sounds like it's a pretty good unit. I think I can purchase it through a dealer friend of mine for cost, however he though the new marantz piece was going to be different than the Pro?

Steve

·
Registered
568 Posts
My personal experience with HTPC is mixed. I use mine and I'm happy with it. My wife and kids hate it, and they'd much rather use the (non-progressive) DVD player for a lot less hassle.

I haven't spent the time to integrate the remote control with the HTPC, which a lot of the problem. But that's not a particularly easy thing to do, at least it wasn't about a year ago when I worked on it.

We have an older Pronto (vintage June 2000) and it works very, very well. We've had no call to even consider upgrading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.