AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A thread was built for this title, but it was lumped together with Raging Bull. Donnie Darko is a classic in its own right and deserves its own release thread!

This is one of my top 10 favorite titles of all time and I have high hopes for the BD release!

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Yes, and we don't need another original vs. Extended/Director's cut debate. Both versions are included. Everyone's happy so no need to bring that old debate up again. Let's try to keep this re: the quality of the transfer, disc...

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I agree, both versions are present so everyone who is a fan of this film should be satisfied. I am more concerned with PQ at this point, and the quality of features as I really enjoyed this title.

Also hoping this is a BD50 release, although knowing the bastards at Fox it's probably BD25.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Good movie and as someone who likes both cuts I'm excited to get the 2 in 1 deal.

The NTSC DVD is horrendous, which makes me a little concerned as it seems that studios don't always remaster for Blu-Ray.

I still have high hopes.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/15564829

Also hoping this is a BD50 release, although knowing the bastards at Fox it's probably BD25.

I'm more worried about the transfer itself than the size of the disc at this point.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got mine pre-ordered and I'm very excited about this one. Never seen the directors cut so I'd like to form my own opinion on that one. Hopefully there are plenty of quality, HD supplements.

Has this aired at all on any of the HD movie channels? If so, that might give us an idea of the transfer. Here's hoping for a great release!

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
IIRC, Donnie Darko was shot on a VERY low light, fast speed film, meant for night shooting. The DP liked the look and it makes the daylight stuff look a bit surreal. I'm not defending the DVD at all but this is gonna look a bit different than most films.

Josh also mentioned this in his review here...

http://www.dvdfile.com/review/donnie...ctors-cut-7159

The Video: How Does The Disc Look?

The first time Donnie Darko was released on DVD, I made a few complaints about the visual appearance and consequently took some heat from those knowledgeable about the production that the soft, hazy, and downright dull look was an intentional stylistic choice. That may be true, but I still doubt the merits of this decision, because it really doesn't work for the film and stands at odds with the creative use of colors in the production design. I also still feel that the old DVD was further harmed by too much digital compression and filtering necessitated by the large number of bonus features crammed onto the same disc as the movie.

So now Donnie Darko is being re-released in what must be a new video transfer (given that the movie itself is different), as part of a 2-disc set with most of the supplements separated from the movie. And the result is... OK, it looks almost exactly the same. Maybe I'm just wrong, or maybe whoever keeps supervising the transfers of this movie is consistent in their bad choices.

As I mentioned in my previous review, the 2.35:1 anamorphically enhanced picture has extremely poor resolution of fine details in the image. Black level is at best a foggy gray and colors are very muted and washed out. I may concede that this is what the director and cinematographer wanted (whether it looks any good or not), but there are other aspects of the video transfer that are problematic for reasons other than the film stock used.

I saw it on Fearnet HD in October and while it looked WAY better than the DVD, it's not gonna have the "PoP!" that some crave....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Amazing film, but it always had that nasty 70's Halloween like drab look to it.

I have low expectations with the blu-ray transfer. I'm sure it will be free from dirt, but detail will be less than stellar.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
So long as there is a noticable improvement over the dvd, I will definitely buy the BD. This a great film.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I can't wait for this blu-ray nor can I wait for the sequel coming out this year, S.Darko...if you've seen Donnie Darko then u know that S.Darko is Samantha Darko, his little sister/ Hope its good!

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largo /forum/post/15568505

I can't wait for this blu-ray nor can I wait for the sequel coming out this year, S.Darko...if you've seen Donnie Darko then u know that S.Darko is Samantha Darko, his little sister/ Hope its good!

Umm... the sequel is going to be a farce and is going to smear the name of the 1st film which was excellent.

You do realize that only 1 original cast member is in the sequel and that the original production crew is in no way involved, right?

I think it's a travesty that a sequel was even made. The film stands very well on its own.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
"Amazing film, but it always had that nasty 70's Halloween like drab look to it."

Um it took place in the 80's and the movie revolved around halloween, dont know what else you expect.

I love this film, it maybe my all time favorite since I first seen it was released. Best sound track ever on the theatrical cut, including my favorite band joy division.

I dont think there was ever a debate about the original vs the director cut, everyone agrees the original theatrical cut is the best.

I just want a good transfer and great sound to accompany a great soundtrack.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Great soundtrack on the DC. love, love with tear us apart...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
any word on price yet?

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's up for pre-order at Amazon for $22.99, list price is $34.99 like other (overpriced) Fox releases.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Are they going to do seamless branching for the different cuts? Or is it actually going to be two discs? I liked both, but I do find myself drawn to the director's cut a little more.

·
Registered
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk11 /forum/post/15571159

Are they going to do seamless branching for the different cuts? Or is it actually going to be two discs? I liked both, but I do find myself drawn to the director's cut a little more.

Should be plenty of room on a BD50 to fit both cuts without seamless branching or the need to split them across 2 separate discs. I'm sure all of the bonus features will be in SD, so they won't take up a lot of space.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts