1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering one of the two following options, focus on audio playback:

1) Denon DVD-2930ci to handle video/DVD-A/SACD/redbook

2) Oppo 970 to handle video/DVD-A/SACD, Onix CD-5 to handle redbook

I've heard pretty good things about the 2930 and thinking it would be the better choice compared with #2. Any opinions on the choice? Video output is strictly 480p component and I'm not terribly picky about that anyway. I will be using the player DAC.

I'm a little torn because I've read a couple reviews of the 970 that say it beats much more expensive players for multichannel, which is what it would be handling.

Eventually all video will be handled by a HD-DVD player but I haven't gone there yet.

Thanks,

·
23,007 Posts
The 970 is nice because it can output multichannel PCM for SACD. I have one and listened to the analog output and I was not really impressed. However, for $150 you can't be expecting a lot and it performs well for the price. At that price how good of an analog section can it have?

larry

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgillow /forum/post/0

Considering one of the two following options, focus on audio playback:

1) Denon DVD-2930ci to handle video/DVD-A/SACD/redbook

2) Oppo 970 to handle video/DVD-A/SACD, Onix CD-5 to handle redbook

I've heard pretty good things about the 2930 and thinking it would be the better choice compared with #2. Any opinions on the choice? Video output is strictly 480p component and I'm not terribly picky about that anyway. I will be using the player DAC.

I'm a little torn because I've read a couple reviews of the 970 that say it beats much more expensive players for multichannel, which is what it would be handling.

Eventually all video will be handled by a HD-DVD player but I haven't gone there yet.

Thanks,

Denon units are excellent with their analog outputs, so the question is whether you would be connecting via analog or digital. if digital then (2) is the more reasonable choice, and if analog then (1) will probably have better sound.

Mind you I only have expeience with the denon 2910 with is a very old version of the 2930.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts