AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem... I was all set to purchase a Panasonic TH-42PWD4U... I had my wife convinced... she was ready to do it. All that she wanted was to see one before we made the purchase online.

We went to Sound Advice, where they had the Pan. TH-42, some Sony model, and and 2 others. The Panasonic was by far, the clear plasma winner.

But... mounted on the wall with the 4 plasma, smack dab in the center was the Sharp LC-30HV2U 30" LCD. She thought in looked clearer, with colors more vivid that any of the plasma's. There was clearly more "white" on the Sharp where there was "yellow" on the plasmas.

I understand that it is 2 technologies, but I can't see going with the Sharp.... Not for almost 2K more, and 12" less viewing area.

Does anyone out there agree with this observation? Any idea's on how I could convince her to go with the plasma?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ouch. That hurts man. Fortunately, my wife wants a large viewing area as much as she wants a flat panel TV. In fact, she would never go with anything as small as the Sharp, even if I wanted it. What kind of source material were you viewing them on in the store? Maybe you can play that angle. It wasn't a fair comparison, or another source would put the plasma in a better light. Also, I don't know about white v. yellow, but that *could* be a calibration issue. Store viewings can be extremely unreliable for a wide variety of reasons.

If you can't convince her with one of the above arguments, you may have to just put your foot down. I can't imagine paying $2K more for 50% less screen real estate. (If you calculate area based on 30" diag v. 42" diag, I think you'll find the 42" has almost twice the viewing area).

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone out there agree with this observation? Any idea's on how I could convince her to go with the plasma?
Tough situation. Any possibility for a side-by-side demo -- say with Moulin Rouge, lots of color? Also, how does the LCD compare to the plasma at an angle? Seems to me the LCD edge is only straight on. That 12" makes a world of difference...

Good luck, Michael

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've had this a week. The viewing angle is pretty narrow, maybe 4 people in a row, theater style. It washes out if you wander a bit. Straight on the PQ is primo & adjustable on several parameters. I am watching it much darker than a CRT & it's better.

I hate the remote. Big, slick surface--not the least bit intuitive. The speakers are surprisingly good for 2-channel & they detach. If you detach them, you have silence. They only work when hanging on the screen. If you take them off you have to connect to another audio system.

I'm no techie, and I am just learning of the features on it. The manual is large and understandable. In spite of the criticisms, I would do it again with no quarrel. Look around on the net. Prices are running from $5000-8000. If you search on the model # (LC-30HV2U) you should get a good listing.

The A/V controller box makes it pretty easy to hook up. It doesn't require calibration or all the other delicate handling of a plasma, even as time goes on. There is no burn in. I see no blurring with fast action like hockey, soccer or special effects.

I'll be glad to share my ignorance with you, if you have more questions.

Iaen

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Had a similar problem where the plasma was right next to a 57" Sony. Trick was the plasma was showing Dinosaur (earthtones!!!!) in a band and the Sony was showing the Dish demo (ocean views) in HD. She doesn't want a huge RPTV however but she was having second thoughts about the plasma.

You need to find a place where the Panny is showing HD. I will be taking my wife back to the place where the Panny 42 is showing HD and only looks bad because it is next to a Panny 50 and an Elite 50.

The other thing is be sure to get her far enough away that the LCD just looks small.

·
Registered
977 Posts
dbuchler,

I think your best friend here is good old Mr. Aspect Ratio. Assuming that you will be enjoing your new display for dvd viewing, then take her back to watch any number of 2.35:1 or even 2.40:1 movies. That smaller screen gets even smaller with those big black bars!

You might also consider giving her 8 or 9 shots of tequila before hand to help soften up that picture.;)

H

·
Registered
860 Posts
Auto8med:

My wife just verified that your idea of buying the TV he wants then spending the other $2K on jewelry will work on over 99% of the female population. Looks like we have a winner!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Wow that is pretty wierd having you wife argue for you to spend MORE on AV equipment.

I vote for the aspect ratio arguement. That was actually one of my main drivers for gettting a plasma, becuase I am a huge movie watcher.

Use 1/2 the $2000 for Jewlery and half for adding to you DVD collection...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies...

1. They were showing a HDTV feed on all the displays when we were there. Next time we go back, I will get them to play a DVD. I'd also link to see an analog feed too if they can...

2. Thanks for the tip on the viewing angle. I did not try looking at the Sharp sceen off center...

3. THANK YOU for the tip on the jewlery!

Also, one other thing. I tried to getting the saleman to play with the contrast / color adjustment on the plasmas to see if we could get it close to the color on the Sharp LCD. He tried, but couldn't. He said that when a HDTV signal is playing on the TV, that the video adjustments are locked.. Is this true, or was the salesman a dumass (that's DO - MAAS ;>)?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Iaen,

Thank you for the info. I have a question about cable in... The Sharp is supposed to have a built in cable tuner, correct?

If you are on a cable system where the provider gives you a tuner box (I am on Cablevision in New York), do you need to use the box, or can you just hook up a coax cable to the Sharp?

The reason I ask is that I would undermount one of these (not the 30") under a cabinet in the kitchen. I would love to just put the coax into the TV without having to worry about finding a place for an ugly black box.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
dbuchler:

I've never heard of not being able to adjust an HD picture, unless the Panny is unusual. Certainly, I can do it on my Pioneer and doubt the Panny would be any different. I think the sales guy was a "dumass", as you so eloquently put it;).

·
Super Moderator
21,495 Posts
I have the Sharp 30 - I love it

HD-Net looks incredible on it

but be sure you look at it displaying DVD's and regular feeds- stuff you normally watch- before you decide- I would not choose it as my primary monitor

viewing distance is an important factor too- for longer distances I prefer a plasma

btw- all connections go through the AVC (media/tuner)box

Mark:)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mayhem
Iaen,

Thank you for the info. I have a question about cable in... The Sharp is supposed to have a built in cable tuner, correct?

If you are on a cable system where the provider gives you a tuner box (I am on Cablevision in New York), do you need to use the box, or can you just hook up a coax cable to the Sharp?

The reason I ask is that I would undermount one of these (not the 30") under a cabinet in the kitchen. I would love to just put the coax into the TV without having to worry about finding a place for an ugly black box.

Thank you.
You have to have the A/V controller box to change channels etc., even though it can be hooked up to the coax without the cable box--at least on my AT&T digital cable. The A/V controller is the usual 17"w x 14"d x 3"h. There are a few controls on the top of the screen for power, channel up or down & volume but they are not independent of the controller box. The smaller Sharps may be different. So, I think you can get by without the ugly black box; but you may have a slinky, silver one instead.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For removing yellow whites adjust white balance to normal or cold instead of warm.

On remote: Picture->4 times down (depends on input)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mayhem
Iaen,

Thank you.
Check Panasonic for smaller, under cabinet screens. Just got a catalog with 11" & 15" with DVD/CD slot in the side for $1600 & $2000. Look like they are on a stand. See: www.gentlemansdomain.com

They plug direct to cable & can be mounted hanging from a cabinet. Sounds close to what you want. Tilt, swivel, slide under, etc. 4:3 & 400:1 contrast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Iaen Sullivan

Check Panasonic for smaller, under cabinet screens. Just got a catalog with 11" & 15" with DVD/CD slot in the side for $1600 & $2000. Look like they are on a stand. See: www.gentlemansdomain.com

They plug direct to cable & can be mounted hanging from a cabinet. Sounds close to what you want. Tilt, swivel, slide under, etc. 4:3 & 400:1 contrast.

Thanks for the info Iaen,

I did some research at crutchfield.com, and it appears the 30" Sharp Aquos comes with a "AVC Controller (TV tuner)" while the 20", 15", and 13" do not come with such a unit. So, I suppose I will not have to have a box with the smaller Aquos units.

But, that does make me wonder... why the smaller units don't need the box. I suppose the box allows you to have a lot more input options.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Man there's got to be something wrong with somebody's vision. LCD of anykind can't hold a candle to plasma. What a joke. That's like watching a big laptop screen. The only good things about LCD is that it's flat and there's no burn in. I know what good LCD is I have a G4 dual 1 Gig with the 23" Cinema display 1920X1600. I'd still much rather look at either of my Fujitsu's anyday of the week. Back lighting sucks! Cannot stand the shadowing and fading of narrow viewing angles. The 30" Sharp is the cream of the crop. Not too bad next to the 42's but next to the 50's with true native high def resolution, no contest. Go buy a Pio or Panny 50 at discount and forget the jewelery. You'll both be happier.

Edward

·
Super Moderator
21,495 Posts
Edward

I have both the Sharp 30 and Pioneer Pro1000 plasma

generally I prefer a plasma myself

however you truly must see HDTV (such as HD-NET) on the Sharp 30- I think you will be amazed at how good it looks- when both the Sharp 30 and the Pro1000 are displaying HD-Net in my HT, the one that gets the most comments is the Sharp LCD

and there is nothing wrong with my vision:)

Mark

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mark,

You do have trusty eyes, but in this case. I'd have to disagree. I have seen the HDnet side by side and yeah it's okay. But I much prefer the vibrance of the gas in glass, and not the back lighting. Again I will repeat and say that this is especially true anywhere off center. I'll take the window effect of the big Fuji plasmas anyday. Way more vibrant and lifelike. No hard feelings, but I find the Pio's unwatchable by comparison Those big square pixels just don't do it for me, watching it next to the LCD might be an improvement. But the Panny/Fuji glass rules. To each their own. You are definitely a bigger authority than I, but I as well as many others would clearly disagree.

Correction, my 23" Cinema is a 1920X1200. Sorry for the inaccuracy.....It's a gorgeous computer monitor-nothing better in Liquid Crystal, but plasma rules!-well 9"CRT does but on a bright day-give me gas.

Edward

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.