AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 13554 Posts

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Jesus, guys, it warms my heart to hear from all of you within hours of my post, which was in the weeee hours of the mornin', just hours ago! Look how many replies already!

It's now midmorning of the same day, just hours later!

Mr Bob

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxilikedirtxx /forum/post/0

Could not agree more, I am tempted just to buy another one even before my set dies, just because they may not be available by then. By the way I have an RCA 52W20 that is still going strong after a year and a half of near constant use.

Get it calibrated!

Mr Bob

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason /forum/post/0

Curious if you feel inverse telecine, reversing 2:3 pulldown for 1080i, with 1080p display at even frame multiples of movie 24 fps, has a significant advantage over CRT RPTVs if it eliminates judder normally visible with 1080/60i CRT display? -- John

I'd have to see such a thing in action, to comment on it.

What do you think?

Mr Bob

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhidayat /forum/post/0

Very wise advice indeed. One small issue, with component only input, most of the newer DVD players out there use HDMI. That might be the only reason to upgrade/replace my PE down the road.

There are still DVDPs out there which put out HD on component, tho I hope that is not a dying breed as well.

My cals have shown so far that any CRT based HDready will look better using component IPs than connecting up via DVI/HDMI.

If you can score a used LiteOn LVD 2001, it's fantastic, and has only component OP for HD. They were disco'd a few years ago, but I snagged 3 of them and sold 2, keeping one for myself. They were extremetly cheap, put out by LiteOn, which produces excellent computer drives, and had various firmware upgrades.

The Momitsu 880 did it all, I believe including DVI. The Samsung 841 had a hack which I can no longer find, that would allow it to also put out HD in component.

I believe the initial offering Toshiba HD DVD player can be config'd to OP HD on component, but have heard opposing sides to that statement, can't say for sure. But HD on DVD will probably leave component behind due to HDCP copyguard issues, which HDMI takes in stride.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamC /forum/post/0

I agree 100%. Life is so much easier with CRT IMHO. Sadly, I have to get a new display and its going to have to be fixed pixel display. Oh, how i wish pioneer still made their elite line of CRT TV's. While some of us may not want to upgrade (IMO its a downgrade), we are forced. If we don't then we don't have HD anymore.

Several brands still make CRT HDreadys. Why does your new one have to be a fixed pixel display?

Mr Bob

PS - with all the CRT RPTVs that are currently being dumped, find a used Elite 730. Or 630 or 530.

They are magnificent, and have a superb 480->1080i upconversion circuit, that upconverts ALL 480 content to 1080i, even OTA SD 480i.

Which formerly required a Faroudja-grade scaler to do.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brg606 /forum/post/0

i saw a samsung crt rear projection at samsclub and it looked like chit compared to the dlps sets. just mho. glare screen sucks too.

Pretty much any CRT RPTV in a showroom will suck. None of them are calibrated, and most are under glaring bright lights, requiring that their contrast to be turned up way too high for linear b/w/color depiction.

Torch Mode is not necessary when viewing under typical home conditions.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I have a 56" 720P DLP and a Hitachi 65F710 CRT RPTV . The Hitachi looks better with both SD & HD once I used DVE on her. Happy CRT RPTV owner

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged /forum/post/0

I think this is the "problem" for manufacturers ... zero or negative profit margin. CRTs are dead from the business standpoint.

Right. Get 'em while you still can.

Quote:
With some 720p FP DLP projector prices falling below the original cost of my CRT RPTV the temptation is strong ...

At the viewing distance I want to enjoy every night - which delivers the BIG, truly cinematic picture - I would see every pixel, at 720p.

You can find excellent condition triple gun ceiling pjs for a fraction of their original cost on ebay these days. I have one right now - a Barco 800, computer grade conference room ceiling pj - that I could not get more than $600 for, so I have kept it.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot /forum/post/0

I understand your points, and agree with them.

But CRT RPTVs have a lot of the "hassle factor" that most average joes don't want to fool with, or have to pay money to deal with. By that, I mean the issues of convergence, geometry, overscan.

I have a 55" Mits, and it has way too much overscan on any HD content, there is now some bending of text at times, and straight vertical lines are squiggly now.

I don't really have $500 to get a professional calibrator out here to work on it. And most of the general public won't do that at all.

Couldn't agree more. That's why I used the term videophile, rather than Joe Sixpack.

Can't say I could get your set looking better than new for under $500 - I could on one scanrate at least, but not both 480 and 1080 - but I COULD get her looking better than new, as long as there is no screenburn and you have not excessively subjected her to torch mode. Which Joe Sixpack MIGHT do, but a videophile would NEVER do.

Everything you talked about re. your pic is easily and quickly remedied in my basic cal package. Afterwards you would have no further problems for the next few years, at which time it would be ready for a cal redo anyway.

Which is much less expensive than a first cal.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamC /forum/post/0

I agree 100%. Life is so much easier with CRT IMHO. Sadly, I have to get a new display and its going to have to be fixed pixel display. Oh, how i wish pioneer still made their elite line of CRT TV's. While some of us may not want to upgrade (IMO its a downgrade), we are forced. If we don't then we don't have HD anymore.

Keep an eye out on local papers and E-bay for some pretty good crt buys. I'll be selling my Pioneer Elite 630HD (58") once my move happens as I won't have room for it in the new place. There are bargins out there to be had and some (like mine) are still under extended warranties. Add in a calibration and cleaning and you would still have a pretty good deal if you want crt.

Just a thought....

Jim

·
Registered
860 Posts
Hello Mr Bob,

To show how much I totally agree with you I purchased a brand new leftover Pioneer 730hdi CRT RPTV last year while building out my space and any day now I will be setting it up for the very first time!

The unit has a 2004 build date and has been sitting in it's crate in storage since last June 2005... do you think the mirror and optics will be dirty?

Remember, I could have purchased anything I wanted at the time (as in digital) but I have always lusted after the Pioneer Elites... I am so pumped! Now I just need to build up enough cohones to purchase that Toshiba HD-DVD player and put some hours on this set so I can get and ISF calibration!

...Glenn

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/0

on the contrary, I hope somebody abandons a 9" gunned Mits in my general vicinity

Yeah, hope you're aware of it when they do.

Big chains like CC and BB and GG are carting away old CRT based sets right and left every day - they tell their customer buyers of the newer, higher priced sets that they will be glad to cart away their "old one" when they deliver the new one. I hear about this all the time in my repair service tech capacity.

Where they put the old ones and what happens to them is anybody's guess, but my guess would be that contacting them might turn up a gold mine of perfectly good CRT based HDready sets, if you play your cards right.

Unless they are crushed...

Mr Bob

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M /forum/post/0

I still love my 51" Sony WS500. It probably needs some work (Convergence, cleaning, focus) but the picture looks great to me. I'm definitely in the "hold onto it until it dies camp".

Get it calibrated!

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir /forum/post/0

The biggest advantage these digital displays have in terms of performance seems to be sheer line resolution and full 1920 lines.....as I'm told most CRT RPTV display around 1200-1300 lines.

A display can only resolve what it's sent. There are limitations on what comes in OTA, by satellite, etc.

A fully calibrated set will display all it can, but until uncompressed HD is a reality, there will always be levels of compression to have to deal with. A true 1920x1080 display will still have to synthesize whatever is NOT there in the incoming signal, to fill in the blanks.

According to Joe Kane OTA HD, which is the least compressed signal out there, still only achieves a 1400 line horizontal res.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo /forum/post/0

OK, I'll bite. Why don't they do 1080p ?

$$$.

Same reason Panny stopped producing CRT RPTVs that would do 720p native along with 1080i native. I got the last series, the year 2000 series. I asked them at CES why they hadn't done it again, and that was the answer. Too expensive, with the prices of CRT technology having nose dived.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k /forum/post/0

on the contrary, I hope somebody abandons a 9" gunned Mits in my general vicinity

Which of the Mits 65" sets have the 9" guns? I know a lot of the 73" did, but I know some of the very highest 65"s had them as well.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie137 /forum/post/0

I know I am a newbie, but isn't part of the attraction (at least it was for me) of newer non CRT sets size? I understand the PQ argument, but I think alot of consumers are also buying so they can fit a larger TV in a smaller space....

The difference is only in the depth, which is not all that great a difference to me, compared to the difference in quality between the 2.

But Joe Sixpack outnumbers the videophile probably 20 to 1, minimum.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
267 Posts
A friend of mine wants to get rid of his year 2000 Sony 52" CRT RPTV. I have always thought that CRT RP had problems but wasn't aware of the exact specifics. I didn't want to touch his set even though he is looking for a throwaway price. I have seen his set (4:3 aspect ratio) and I am not impressed at all (even when playing HD content).

This thread makes me think I can take that set and tweak it to look better. For one thing it looks very dim even in his dark family room. And glare from his screen makes the lack of brightness worse. Can that be fixed?

Also, do the CRT RPTV's do not have any bulb that needs replacing?

Finally, are there any problems that newer sets solve? Lack of HDMI/DVI is one. But what others?

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baumann /forum/post/0

Hello Mr Bob,

To show how much I totally agree with you I purchased a brand new leftover Pioneer 730hdi CRT RPTV last year while building out my space and any day now I will be setting it up for the very first time!

Yeaaaeee! A man after my own heart. See what I wrote earlier about the x30 line and its 480->1080 upconversion.

Quote:
The unit has a 2004 build date and has been sitting in it's crate in storage since last June 2005... do you think the mirror and optics will be dirty?

No. Optics only get dirty from the HV inherent in CRT use. If it's not been turned on and run for awhile yet your optics are still crystal clear.

See my website for more details.

Quote:
Remember, I could have purchased anything I wanted at the time (as in digital) but I have always lusted after the Pioneer Elites... I am so pumped! Now I just need to build up enough cohones to purchase that Toshiba HD-DVD player and put some hours on this set so I can get an ISF calibration!

...Glenn

Fly me in! I love what can be done with 730's.

With its excellent upconversion, only 1080i needs to be calibrated. That saves major calibration money.

Mr Bob

21 - 40 of 13554 Posts