AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I've read a ton on the internet and these forums, I'm still not quite sure what is the best choice for me and was hoping for some empirical input.

Here is the deal:

-I can spend up to $1,500 (either at a retail store or authorized online seller. I don't NEED to spend that much if I don't have to)

-40-50 inches

-Plasma or LCD

-Will be in a darker room for now

-Mostly used for watching movies and OTA HD sports, with video games mixed in

-Not worried about burn-in

-Like my blacks black and no motion blur/jitter

-Have read about buzzing with some Samsung plasma tv's.

I've been leaning toward plasma so I'm posting in the plasma sub-forum. Input on specific models you would recommend would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just read the various threads. Try and hunt down a pioneer, grab a panasonic or risk the CHANCE of buzzing in a Samsung. Just read up on the various models with specs you need, and check them out in store. You really can't go wrong with Samsung or Panasonic at this point. Even on the low end, you're getting a fantastic picture.

At some point, you're paying for feature, so you really need to check out the manufacturers sites to see what it is you need/want and compare.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd go for the Panasonic TC-P50G10 or Samsung PN50B650. I have the Samsung and its great. Would meet all your requirements.

Differences in picture quality are minor so go with whatever you can get cheaper or whichever bezel you think looks nicer. Buzzing is an issue with the Samsungs (I just noticed that mine does but it's only audible when the TV is on mute) so it would probably be better to buy locally if you went that route. And IMO it's an overrated problem. I still watch CRT's every once and awhile and it makes me wonder how some people on here ever put up with the constant high frequency noise those things put out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I currently own a 58B650, but if I were looking for a 50", there would be no confusion...I would get the KRP 500M Pioneer (monitor only). Can probably find one for around $17-1800 now. But you will need a stand as they don't ship with one. I went with Samsung to get the 8" extra, for not much more money. 60" Kuro was too spendy still.

Barring that, I would probably get a 50B560 unless you need/want the media stuff, and in that case I would get the 650.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the difference between the pn50b550 and pn50b650?

Like I said, I'm leaning toward the Samsung. I'll probably try and wait for Sears or BBY to put it on sale so if I get a buzzer I can either swap it out or return it. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
With 1500 bucks you can get a Vizio 55" LCD at Costco or Sam's.

With it you get 2 year warranty and the best return policy you can find.

The 55" Vizio competes with any TV out there.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

What is the difference between the pn50b550 and pn50b650?

QUOTE]

Yes I'm quoting myself.

These are the differences per "mr. samsung" on the best buy site... Are there any other notable differences? Based on the PiP/Contrast/Panel alone, I think it might be worth the difference in price for me.

There are a number of differences between the B550 and the B650 Plasmas. Mainly, the PN50B650 has these features over the B550: ToC Red, a higher contrast ratio, Ultra Filter Bright Panel, Samsung Crystal FHD Engine for enhanced picture quality, Cinema Smooth for more cinema like movies, [email protected], Content Library, Wireless DLNA, USB 2.0 with movie playback, BD Wise, and PiP.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The b550 and the b650 are very similar. The b650 has a number of internet options added that the b550 does not. There may be other differences, there used to be a difference in screen coating in the A series, not sure if it's true this year, but they are small. Both are fine sets and you'll be happy with either one. I have the A650 and it's excellent as is my X1 Panny, you really can't go wrong with either brand.

I have the B650 LCd version and while the internet stuff is nice it's really a work in progress. The widgets are OK for what they are but the biggies are MIA, no netflix at the moment, blockbuster is on the way though, and the CBS and Showtime stuff is a no show. It will play streaming media if you have a lot of content on your computer, and it will do a nice job of displaying your pictures hosted on your computer.

·
Registered
7,967 Posts
+ about a billion for tracking down a 50" kuro.

Seeing that you'll likely own the television for at least half a decade, the several hundered dollar premium is more than reasonable in my estimation.

I found a 4 month-old 5020 on c-list locally and was ignorant not to pull the trigger on the guy's $1200 price-tag.

I urge you not to make a simiar mistake on a new unit if you can find one.

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts