AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes I know this is a receiver forum, and it does relate! Still have not picked up the Pioneer VSX-52 or 53 yet, trying to talk Magnolia down 10%:) Was just thinking...as I was doing more research, our Pioneer plasma is the PDP-5071HD that does 720p, we got it back in 2006 just as 1080 was coming out. We play Blu-Rays via the PS3 (soon to be Denon DBP-1611UP). The TV manual says it is 720p with the ability to accept a 1080p/24hz signal. What the hell does that mean??? Especially to the video power of the pioneer VSX-52/53, will I get to enjoy that power without upgrading the TV. I have seen displays out and thought the picture looked better then our 720p, but not by a huge margin. And I am still more about the audio anyway. Just don't wish to get into HDMI issues with the TV HDMI 1.1, and the VSX-52/53 HDMI 1.4a.

Thanks for all input gents

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
What it means is you can pass in a signal that's twenty four frames per second at 1080 vertical lines of resolution and the TV will show a good picture. The TV will convert it to 720 lines, but it will look good.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
If you like your current plasma tv and its working well for you, keep it. The differences aren't great and many of the HDTV stations broadcast in 720P - especially those that broadcast lots of sports events. ESPN is one. All current HDMI specs are backward compatible and I doubt that'll change. It'll be called something else when they change the format and won't even plug into an HDMI plug. At some point you'll find a 1080P TV that you just gotta have and your plasma tv will be close to dead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys, just went and picked up the Marantz SR6005 from last year for $370, less the $35 best buy reward card that I had. I just could not pass that up!!!! think I am tempted to keep this baby for our living room, was gonna just put it in master bedroom for a 5.1 setup, but hell it will own our Denon AVR2105 we have had for 7 years.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit788 /forum/post/20863782

Thanks for all the advice guys, just went and picked up the Marantz SR6005 from last year for $370, less the $35 best buy reward card that I had. I just could not pass that up!!!! think I am tempted to keep this baby for our living room, was gonna just put it in master bedroom for a 5.1 setup, but hell it will own our Denon AVR2105 we have had for 7 years.

With a 50" screen, your eyes need to be around 6'-6" to 7' from the screen to get the full benefit of 1080P. If like most people, you sit farther from the screen, you will not notice much difference between 720P and 1080P.
http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/10...o-screen-size/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna leave the TV's alone for now, but I did score this......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.