AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to share this very unpleasant experience purchasing download version of WinDVD 3.0 from InterVedio website. Not realizing that connection to internet is absolutely neccessory, I purchased a copy of the downlaod version WinDVD 3.0 using my workstation, hoping that after getting the activation key (or an activated copy), I can load it into my HTPC (which does not have internet connction). Nowhere in the purchasing proccess is the consummer warned that the only computer that can run the downloaded copy of WinDVD is the one that is connected to the internet and thus can go through the activation process. The activation is not transferrable.

I am now stuck with a trial version WinDVD which play for only 5 min, after paying InterVideo $69.95 and enriched their customer data base with all the personal information and credit card information. I am the biggest sucker of the day!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Request a cd. Just fire off an email to their tech supp. Cost is ten dollars for S/H.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
don't request a CD. Ask for a refund, and wait for Power DVD XP to come out in a couple of weeks. It will be the best player available. If you want a one of a kind dedicated DVD player than buy the TheaterTek player. But PowerDVD will allow you to do all kinds of stuff.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kw2ooo
Nowhere in the purchasing proccess is the consummer warned that the only computer that can run the downloaded copy of WinDVD is the one that is connected to the internet and thus can go through the activation process. The activation is not transferrable.
Here is how I managed to transfer the activation from one machine to another.

First, both machines must run the same operating system. Install WinDVD on the machine that has the Internet connection, activate it. Next, on this machine, export the following two registry keys to files using regedit.exe:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\CLASSES\\GPI

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\InterVideo\\WinDVDi

In the file generated by exporting the second key, delete all values except for "PASSWORD", "PCS" and "SERIALCODE".

Install WinDVD on the other computer, run it once, close WinDVD and import the two .reg files you generated on the machine that activated WinDVD by double-clicking on each of them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Ralf,

Kw2000 sure is a lucky fellow!

Had that exact same problem last year - my HTPC was mounted as a standalone, and the ethernet card was elsewhere, the wiring for the cable modem also.

Wish I had known your superb trick back then - it would have saved me an ethernet card and quite a bit of cabling...

Cheers,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ralf

The trick does not work. May be it worked for earlier versions. First, there is no ...\\GPI key in the registry. Second, the values for "PASSWORD" and "PCS" are changed everytime you run WinDVD.

It just seems to me that InterVedio has gone the extra mile in trying to prevent people from prirating a $70(much less if search more) piece of software disregarding any difficulty and inconvenience it may bring to its users. In my openion, as most of us would not mind spending a lot more than $70 on our vedio/audio setup, such attitude is insulting to our moral standard and our pocketbook. I primarily use ATI DVD player, which is free, for my HTPC, getting the WinDVD is just to add DTS capability. What a waste of money and time.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
hmcgrath,

Power DVD has not been able to match the picture quality of WinDVD. That may change but I wouldn't bank on it.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
If it offers you the ability to read the license agreement why don't you do that and reply no. Then ask for a refund. I always wondered what would happen if you do that.

- Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please lobby for a refund and refuse to buy software with these kinds of restrictions. I suppose if you upgrade a hard drive, motherboard, or OS in the future, they expect you to either purchase again or call them and grovel?

The only way to fight these practices is to refuse to purchase. All copy protection does is punish legitimate owners while doing little to impede pirates, who all download hacked copies. Just say, "No way!"

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
While I was running from the same PC and was able to get my WinDVD activated, they did not supply any authorization code for future rebuilds.

When (not if!) I need to rebuild my Windows, how do I reactivate WinDVD? If I get a new PC, how do I activate WinDVD?

It is totally bogus. I send an email to tech support about how to reactivate in the future. No response yet!

- JP

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I got sucked into the Windvd download mess myself. Never again! I never got it to work until I got it bundled with some hardware on a CD then it was fine. I will never try to download it again. Their tech support is not very prompt at answering e-mails ether. I will order a CD or do without

Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Quote:
Ralf

The trick does not work. May be it worked for earlier versions. First, there is no ...\\GPI key in the registry. Second, the values for "PASSWORD" and "PCS" are changed everytime you run WinDVD.
The latter is normal. However, look again for the GPI registry key. Note, it is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\CLASSES\\GPI. I'm running WinDVD 3.0.57.8 (purchased at www.intervideo.com ) and I have the registry key.

Ralf.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Brian,

Power DVD has gotten rave reviews here from members that have it. It will be much better than WinDVD in PQ.

kw2oo,

please check your private messages.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Ralf. But I don't think I want to continue to try to tweak the program to make it work. I am going to request a refund. I normally like tweaking that's why I am into A/V. But this is different. All these tweaking and hacking just does not make sense. I am not into the hobby of buying a piece of software so that I can hack it and pirate it. With the on slaugh of PowerDVD xp and TheaterTek, as well as the contiue freely available ATI DVD player, WinDVD could be in deep trouble if InterVedio continue this kind of practice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Nowhere in the purchasing proccess is the consummer warned that the only computer that can run the downloaded copy of WinDVD is the one that is connected to the internet and thus can go through the activation process. The activation is not transferrable.
KW2ooo,

I hate to play devil's advocate, but you may wish to read about your purchase-preference before you go through the actual "buying process". When you purchase the WinDVD software, it states during Step one:

`IMPORTANT: If you are ordering product(s) from the web, make sure the PC you are using to run the product is connected to the Internet. Internet connectivity is required to activate the software after purchase.`

If this wasn't read, this is not really the company's (InterVideo's) fault. I would agree with you had this warning not been posted, but this is not the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.