AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an Onkyo TX-NR609. My preferred listening mode is DTS-Cinema with Audyssey DSX enabled when watching movies. I have tried the THX modes and I just don't get why they might be better than the DTS mode I listen in. The sound level is cut in half by THX and I lose my bass.

#1- Those that prefer THX, do you find that you need to adjust the gain on your subwoofer when listening in THX? Even after Audyssey calibration?

#2 - Does THX really perform better with THX certified speakers?

I know this is all subjective and I listen to what sounds the best to my ears. I am just trying to get a feel for the benefits of THX from those that prefer this listening mode.

P.S. Don't flame me for not researching. I just did after I posted this and did find some answers but still would like opinions.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I can't figure out why your output would be cut.

I installed a an RC-270 lately and did not find anything "wrong" with the THX settings on it.

Do you run sub frequencies to your fronts / surrounds? I would actually consider that wrong if you are.

THX modes generally enforce Sub Cross at 80hz, only freq's above that going to the Fronts / surrounds. I mean it is their standard.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 /forum/post/20860955

I just purchased an Onkyo TX-NR609. My preferred listening mode is DTS-Cinema with Audyssey DSX enabled when watching movies. I have tried the THX modes and I just don't get why they might be better than the DTS mode I listen in. The sound level is cut in half by THX and I lose my bass.

#1- Those that prefer THX, do you find that you need to adjust the gain on your subwoofer when listening in THX? Even after Audyssey calibration?

#2 - Does THX really perform better with THX certified speakers?

I know this is all subjective and I listen to what sounds the best to my ears. I am just trying to get a feel for the benefits of THX from those that prefer this listening mode.

P.S. Don't flame me for not researching. I just did after I posted this and did find some answers but still would like opinions.

I am guessing when you are using DSX that Audyssey Dynamic EQ is engaged. Some users feel the default setting (0dB) of Dynamic EQ is too hot in the low end on some recordings. THX Loudness Plus is a similar algorithm. I find that I prefer Loudness Plus. Dynamic EQ with its setting at 0dB is way too bass heavy on some recordings for me. I could barely understand the dialog in the opening of Sherlock Holmes with Dynamic EQ. Loudness Plus corrected it for me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/20861623

I can't figure out why your output would be cut.

I installed a an RC-270 lately and did not find anything "wrong" with the THX settings on it.

Do you run sub frequencies to your fronts / surrounds? I would actually consider that wrong if you are.

THX modes generally enforce Sub Cross at 80hz, only freq's above that going to the Fronts / surrounds. I mean it is their standard.

Well I have never experimented with changing crossovers. I just left them where audyssey set them. 40Hz for my fronts and 50Hz for my surrounds.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita /forum/post/20861844

I am guessing when you are using DSX that Audyssey Dynamic EQ is engaged. Some users feel the default setting (0dB) of Dynamic EQ is too hot in the low end on some recordings. THX Loudness Plus is a similar algorithm. I find that I prefer Loudness Plus. Dynamic EQ with its setting at 0dB is way too bass heavy on some recordings for me. I could barely understand the dialog in the opening of Sherlock Holmes with Dynamic EQ. Loudness Plus corrected it for me.

Ok. Yes I do have Dynamic EQ engaged also.

·
Premium Member
12,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 /forum/post/20862652

Well I have never experimented with changing crossovers. I just left them where audyssey set them. 40Hz for my fronts and 50Hz for my surrounds.

If you have THX speakers and subs, you *want* to use the THX crossover of 80 Hz. It has slopes that are optimized for use with THX speakers and subs.

If you don't have THX speakers/subs, you can use whatever crossover you like *above* the crossover set by the receiver based on the Audyssey measurements. I suggest you try the 80 Hz setting. It's always a good place to start.

Craig

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 /forum/post/20860955

THX Loudness Plus and Preserve THX Settings seems to be On by default.

Try with setting Preserve THX Settings to No (and THX Loudness Plus to Off) to be able to use Audyssey Dynamic EQ and Audyssey Dynamic Volume (Light) in THX listening modes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts