AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most people use their TV sets to watch regular TV shows. I just bought a Samsung LN46A530 LCD, and the regular TV channels (not HD) absolutely suck!!! There are only a few HD channels available and most shows are not in High Def...so whats the point of spending all this money on a LCD/plasma, when MOST shows will look worse than a CRT? i have a Sony 32" CRT and the regular tv looks stunning on it. But my LN46A530 is horrible for standard def.

My point: why not just wait until there are more HD channels/shows and buy the "newest technology" available then? I feel like I am sacrificing nice looking TV shows just so i can get a better picture for watching movies. I know that for Blu ray and PS3/XBOX its better, but what if we mostly watch TV? What if in 1 year some new technology comes out that makes regualr TV look so good that people will laugh at current LCD/Plasmas? Shouldn't I just enjoy my CRT until TV shows look as good on LCds or plasmas? What is your views on this?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Lantern /forum/post/15540473

Everyone is different, which I think is the best answer. For myself, I am a sports fan and love football in high definition.

Seriously! The Super Bowl is coming up soon. I am not watching it in standard def, no effin' way.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15540404

I think most people use their TV sets to watch regular TV shows. I just bought a Samsung LN46A530 LCD, and the regular TV channels (not HD) absolutely suck!!! There are only a few HD channels available and most shows are not in High Def...so whats the point of spending all this money on a LCD/plasma, when MOST shows will look worse than a CRT? i have a Sony 32" CRT and the regular tv looks stunning on it. But my LN46A530 is horrible for standard def.

My point: why not just wait until there are more HD channels/shows and buy the "newest technology" available then? I feel like I am sacrificing nice looking TV shows just so i can get a better picture for watching movies. I know that for Blu ray and PS3/XBOX its better, but what if we mostly watch TV? What if in 1 year some new technology comes out that makes regualr TV look so good that people will laugh at current LCD/Plasmas? Shouldn't I just enjoy my CRT until TV shows look as good on LCds or plasmas? What is your views on this?

Actually, I had intended to do just as you mentioned. All my research showed that waiting another year would be the best for me because that is when the types of channels I like would be migrating.

But...... fate stepped in. My JVC flat screen CRT went *Poof*

Now I am limping along on an old GE CRT that came out when Columbus came over from Spain. The tuner is gone, but the Dish Network box does the tuning. The colors are.....well, barely colors. So, I will be unable to wait that extra year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i download all my shows and stream them to the tv with a dvi -> hdmi cable. I was thinking of getting an HDTV sat receiver but the amount of ads on TV just pisses me off. I can't even stand watching programs from start to finish because of it.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
There is plenty of HD Source out there but never as much as we'd like for many. I have about 30 HD Channels with Comcast, two BD Players and an HD DVD, a Netflix membership with BD and a library of movies that kick ass in picture and sound.

BTW not all SD is crap - I have many digitals that aren't bad at all but to be honest I try and avoid them as less than PQ is just that but I also understand the math of 480i and that it could never come close to HD. I owned a top of line 2 yr old Sony CRT 36" 4 years ago that I donated to a charity and I wouldn't trade one single day of viewing and ZERO regrets as the CRT was to be watched whereas my 16:9 57" and 45" Sharp is to be Experienced --- As others have noted who the hell could go back to SD or reflective CRT Turdvision viewing sports - holy crap I still get wowed daily - even if you don't like Golf events like the Masters or Pebble Beach can be damn amazing!

Research and maximize your HD and tolerate SD for what it is supposed to be 500-600% inferior TURD! May cost you money but it's here NOW! Damn all I know is if I were to view CNN in HD vs. CNN SD they are two different worlds as a simple comparison - and BS a CRT does not make anything amazing or wowrific like an HD Panel - the math makes it impossible with 480i - A Turd is a Turd "Comparatively" - so maximize your sources and tolerate the Turds until the broadcasters catch up or you pony up the money for an all HD Lineup when it arrives in your area. All our local news programs are now HD (excepting field reports) and amazing in studio PQ - comparatively your SD CRT could NEVER match them for a simple comparison. ENJOY!

It's a DAMN Good Time to buy an HD TV in fact IMO - damn, for us that've been here for many years can attest to us early adopters and our purchases just a few years ago we paid double for these panels and they've taken a few leaps to the positive also. They are comparatively CHEAP today. 3 yrs ago a Sharp 65" LCD was MSRP'd at $25K and todays D64 and SE94 can be had for under $5K and in the case of the D64 closer to $3K. My 23" Sony LCD on my kitchen counter I bought five years ago was $1600 on sale and still an excellent TV after 5 years but imagine it costing more than many 52" panels today.

Damn good HD time IMO but we'll always welcome more HD! Ready --- AIM --- FIRE!!!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts

Quote:

To each his own.
I'm on my 4th "main" HDTV (I own 5 HD sets). If you are satisfied with your SDTV, then there is no need to upgrade. I bought an HDTV with a Sony XBR1 (CRT - 57" widscreen). It was the first widescreen in that size that they produced. I think I could get 3 or 4 channels in HD at the time. Was it worth it to me? Yep...fast forward several years (about 10 or 11). I now have a 70" SXRD as my main TV. It does a very good job with SDTV and looks absolutely incredible with HDTV.

Quote:

There are only a few HD channels available and most shows are not in High Def...so whats the point of spending all this money on a LCD/plasma, when MOST shows will look worse than a CRT?

I beg to differ with this. I have well over 100 channels and most things I watch are in HD.

You could wait forever to upgrade. As with any technology, what comes out tomorrow should be better than what is out today. However, with that approach, we would all still be watching a B&W 13" TV.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts

Quote:

What are you talking about? I only watch 2 shows that aren't on an HD channel - The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. The only SD show I watch on an HD channel is PTI.

eta - also Battlestar Gallactica, but only because TW Rochester hasn't added SciFiHD yet, the bastards

·
Registered
40 Posts
The point of buying an HDTV for me was twofold:

1) Old NTSC CRT-based TV was dying. Needed a new TV. Might as well get the latest and greatest.

2) My provider (Verizon FIOS) has TONS of non-premium HD content. Dozens of channels. Even the weather channel is in HD. I thought I would be glued to the sports; turns out I'm DVR-ing so much nature and documentary stuff -- not to mention the new season of 24 -- that I'm already out of space on my Verizon DVR (which admittedly has only about 20 hr capacity for HD stuff). I've had to kick my kids off of Disney HD and make them tape Hannah Montana etc. off of the SD Disney channel (Disney HD is kinda disappointing, about the only thing that's really HD about it most of the time is the Disney watermark logo in the corner).

And I don't even have a blu-ray player yet.

Bottom line -- content, content, content.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
What isn't HD anymore? Nearly everything on broadcast TV is HD.

News, talk shows, prime time movies & TV series, game shows, sports etc... all HD & all free over-the-air.

Most Cable/Satellite companies have quite a lot of HD channels as well. Only thing still mostly in SD are just crummy basic cable channels.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
The only two shows I watch in SD are South Park and Star Trek. Everything else I watch is available in HD.

·
Registered
121 Posts

Quote:

There are only a few HD channels available and most shows are not in High Def...

Not really, I'm watching HD channels probably 99% of the time now. NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, CNN, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Encore, History Channel, Discovery Channel, ESPN, ESPN2, Versus, and Fox Sports Bay Area (to name a few) are all in HD. That covers virtually everything I watch, movies, sports, tv shows, really there's not a whole lot that's not in HD right now.

The only thing I really wish was in HD right now that isn't is the NHL Center Ice package I got from Comcast. All those games are broadcast on SD channels. So the only hockey I get in HD are Sharks games (local team) and the national games on Versus. Which isn't bad, but it would've been awesome to have all games in HD.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have directv and there are plenty of HD channels. Just about any major channel has an HD version associated with it. Networks, HBO and premiums, TNT, FOX, discovery, National Geographic, etc... To be more accurate, there are 107 HD channels available on Directv. If you take out the East/West duplicates and such, there's still close to 50 channels. That's not bad. personally; I've had cable in 4 different markets. All with HD availability. NONE of them match the clarity and quality of Directv. Then again, that depends on your TV and such; and is for another discussion. For this discussion, it is most definitely time to buy HD. If I was single and living in a shack, I might get my tv from the internet; but generally speaking that is too much of a PITA. If you like tv and movies; HD and Blu-Ray is a no brainer. If you don't care about TV and movies; and only watch the news or crap network programming; then you are correct. Stick with a normal CRT television. later... mike....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well for me it's simple. I have enough HD channels to be worth the cost. Plus, I can't hang my CRT over the fireplace, where my Flat Panel is today. Just the pure beauty of that thing on the wall, the space savings I get (since my equipment rack will be hiding in the closet) it's worth the price alone. And when you do put on a Movie (DVD) in HD, Forget about-it. Hands down, the flat panel wins Everytime! I enjoy watching a movie on DVD at home, over going to the theater, Big Time. Better picture, better sound.

Dave...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

Quote:

errr...why did you?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just made the switch because I too thought there wasn't enough HD programming.

Now there is.

I get my locals in HD, and prob 50 on satellite. Plenty of shows to watch, plus having a Blu ray player I am buying keeper grade movies on BD.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:

What if in 1 year some new technology comes out that makes regualr TV look so good that people will laugh at current LCD/Plasmas? Shouldn't I just enjoy my CRT until TV shows look as good on LCds or plasmas? What is your views on this?

Why are you so concerned about how "regular TV" looks? As you can see from the replies you've already received, that most of us watch almost all of our viewing in HD. Almost everything popular is available in HD now. What are you watching that isn't?

Art

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/15540588

...and BS a CRT does not make anything amazing or wowrific like an HD Panel - the math makes it impossible with 480i - A Turd is a Turd "Comparatively"...

You can't polish a turd (read: SD). But if you look at it through Coke bottle glasses (read: SD CRT), then you might think that it looks like a chocolate bar.

AJ

·
Registered
209 Posts
Everything I watch is in HD. I don't know if I even watch anything that is standard definition as I already have most all of it with a mediocre HD source in Time Warner. Why not go HD?

·
Banned
518 Posts
I would say "Buying HDTV is NOT a crime!"

As other poster mention above, it depends on individual, an individually usage. So it is not a need but take it as a HDTV Trend culture or something that all of us, itchy hands would like to try new things.

Besides, HDTV consume less space - probably no tv rack require - hang on wall. HDTV almost frameless for some model e.g. Samsung HL72A650 like picture in the sky
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HL72A650-72-Inch-1080p-Slim/dp/B001418WEK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231922839&sr=1-6

You can buy and download HD movies online with your pc or other media hook up. Gamers playing on HDTV - probably they looked like that ->
jaw dropping - LoL.

HDTV is a need? yes? Back to square one, depends on each individual. If i get my mom a HDTV, she will be calling me every hour for remote control tutorial - LoL.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts