AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think most people use their TV sets to watch regular TV shows (Mostly). I just bought a Samsung LN46A530 LCD, and the regular TV channels (not HD) absolutely suck!!! I was considering getting a Panasonic PZ80 Plasma for better SD picture quality, but i don't think it will make much of a difference. There are only a few HD channels available right now and most shows are not in High Def...so whats the point of spending all this money on a LCD/plasma, when MOST shows will look worse than a CRT? i have a Sony 32" CRT and the regular tv looks stunning on it. But my LN46A530 is horrible for standard def.

My point: why not just wait until there are more HD channels/shows and buy the "newest technology" available then? I feel like I am sacrificing nice looking TV shows just so i can get a better picture for watching movies. I know that for Blu ray and PS3/XBOX its better, but what if we mostly watch TV? What if in 1 year some new technology comes out that makes regualr TV look so good that people will laugh at current LCD/Plasmas? Shouldn't I just enjoy my CRT until TV shows look as good on LCds or plasmas? What is your views on this?

·
Registered
614 Posts
SDTV is slowly being replaced. There are HD alternatives aplenty now, and as long as you have a TV that can upscale nicely, SD need not look horrible.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
*kills Singh007*

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
some sd can look pretty decent but it is still source dependent. plus alot of people will try and stretch it to fill the screen and that usually makes it even worse. if it's 4:3 sd leave it that way.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Dude, Directv has over 100 HD channels to choose from. There are literally hundreds of Blu Ray discs available for viewing. I hardly watch any SD programming anymore. Plenty of good HD programming to choose from. Apparently you need to do a little investigating.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yeah. As mentioned, there are dozens (100+ on Directv) of HD channels. And there is BD. And HD. If you have neither of these players, and only get a couple of HD channels (btw, is this ota HD?), there probably isn't a great need for you to get an HD display. Some of us have access to dozens of HD channels, have dozens (or hundreds) of HD discs, and can readily rent HD movies for $1.00 per. And then we get into the realm of a great upscaling DVD player with our older discs. HD is apparently far more prevalent than you realize. No need? I think not.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Looking at both Dish and Directv packages it appears that to get all of the HD channels that they advertise you have to get the most expensive package. The basic packages have no more HD channels then cable. My love of sports drove me to this madness. Though I enjoy watching BR movies I still watch most movies in standard definition due to the high cost of each BR movie. Program material varies from excellent to garbage. Many so called HD channels still show most of their programming in SD. Plus a lot of the HD material looks pretty bad so I can see why some folks are not that excited to jump in. Mostly the highly compressed crap they show.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh007 /forum/post/15540415

What's the point of buying a HDTV right now?

This is an expensive hobby, but if you can afford it and have access to a sufficient amount of content (e.g. Blu-ray & ~60 HD channels w/Time Warner Cable); also a very enjoyable past-time.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I just went to Directv and they have alot of HD channels, much more than Time Warner does which is where I came from.

your overall point is correct though, I tell family that unless they are ready to upgrade their cable plan(pay more per month) or go DirecTV, they are better off to stay with their CRT and basic cable plan.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow /forum/post/15540579

Dude, Directv has over 100 HD channels to choose from. There are literally hundreds of Blu Ray discs available for viewing. I hardly watch any SD programming anymore. Plenty of good HD programming to choose from. Apparently you need to do a little investigating.

I concur. We have Cable and they have added a ton of HD channels over the last few months with more on the way. We rarely venture into the sub-1000's anymore. Even my kids shows on Disney and Cartoon network are in HD now.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have FIOS and the number of HD channels is great! Even the SD channels look pretty darn good. The only channels of interest in my family that are not HD available are the kiddie channels.

So the point is that the high def experience crushes standard definition experience at a price point that is not a major stretch for many consumers. When I try and watch the NFL on my SD 32" sets, I am reminded why...the picture is nice looking, kind of. But HD at 50" is simply awesome, with no kind of about it.

Its like your wife or girlfriend. The local TV news anchor might be good looking, kind of. But if you can date Angelina Jolie, why not?

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
Lets add up the cost:

$125 per month for Cable TV

$70 per month for FiOS Internet/Phone

$70 per for (2) cell phones

$50 per month for a broadband PC air-card.

$3.99 per month for (2) Blockbuster Blu-ray disc rentals =

$400 per month (+NYS taxes
) for digital services?

Who would have thought?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I live in NC, and just moved into a new fiber optic community.

I pay $145 total for:

DirecTV basic, Internet, Digital Phone and Security system.

I then pay additional for HD channels and the HR-20i dvr box, dvr service etc.(about $35 bucks/month)

Not bad overall I supose. although with the housing market my fear is the neighborhood not getting finished, hopefully that will not happen.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ha Ha Ha. Singh007. You joined AVSforum too late to post this thread. We have this argument even before I joined AVSforum (Aug-2004). I still remember that is one of the most heated debate during that time. Maybe you should start another thread about 480p vs. 720p 42 inch plasma.

HD source materials are everywhere nowadays in the U.S. Also, a lot of people use their HDTV for more than just "watch TV". However, if you are arguing about LCD or plasma technology's black level is still not catching up to CRT, then ... Ooops, just open another can of worm, damn. Sorry guys.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15541429

I live in NC...

Move to NYS where everything is "free!" Except for those of us who are forced to subsidize these things.

The same U.S. gallon of gasoline costs ~$.35 more in NY versus Georgia.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 /forum/post/15540680

Looking at both Dish and Directv packages it appears that to get all of the HD channels that they advertise you have to get the most expensive package. The basic packages have no more HD channels then cable. My love of sports drove me to this madness. Though I enjoy watching BR movies I still watch most movies in standard definition due to the high cost of each BR movie. Program material varies from excellent to garbage. Many so called HD channels still show most of their programming in SD. Plus a lot of the HD material looks pretty bad so I can see why some folks are not that excited to jump in. Mostly the highly compressed crap they show.

At Directv you can add the HD to any package for an addition 9.99 a month. There is also Netflix to consider. They have affordable packages starting at 4.99 a month. I have the 3 movie at a time package. I default to Blu Ray films only. I spend like 19 dollars a month for my package. It's worth it for us because we watch a lot of Blu Ray movies. Sometimes the films we like can be found new or used on Amazon at steeply discounted prices. HD is here and it's great

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/15541505

Move to NYS where everything is "free!" Except for those of us who are forced to subsidize these things.

The same U.S. gallon of gasoline costs ~$.35 more in NY versus Georgia.

no offense, but alot of you 'yankees' are moving down to NC(Charlotte, Triangle and G'boro) and siding with the same "free, lets subsidize everything" philosophy and its starting to send NC in the same direction.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
The next sixty days will be the best time to go HD.

Panasonic and Samsung will reset their prices for the new models arriving in April.

You'll see March Madness sales that will be closing out the 2008 models, which may be your last chance until September to walk out the door with a nice 50-inch plasma for under a grand.

As for lack of HD programming, that's only a factor if you have two X chromasomes and watch Lifetime Network. (Which is to say, if you're my wife.)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15541592

no offense, but alot of you 'yankees' are moving down to NC(Charlotte, Triangle and G'boro) and siding with the same "free, lets subsidize everything" philosophy and its starting to send NC in the same direction.

Duke's freshman class had more students from New Jersey than from North Carolina (or any other state) - last I heard.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
I only watch one SD channel anymore at all, Comedy Central.

Otherwise it is a local in HD, ESPN-CNN-TBS-TNT-Etc, DiscHD-SciHD-Etc., HD movie channels.

Then there are BR's.

If I didn't have HDTV or BR's, then I wouldn't have bought one yet.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts