AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am new to subwoofer. I just replaced my old Sinclair small front speakers with paradigm monitor 9 speakers. But I still keep old Sinclair subwoofer, which was bought by previous house owner. I cannot find the model number of that subwoofer . So I just don't know if u need to replace it with new subwoofer like paradigm monitor sub 10 which is the same series as my new speakers.

Could you please advice me how I can decide if I need to replace old subwoofer?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
You do not need to match the subwoofer to the speakers. Many times, that can be the worst thing one can do. If you like the Sinclair (whatever model it may be) and are impressed by its performance, then keep it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do not need to match the subwoofer to the speakers. Many times, that can be the worst thing one can do. If you like the Sinclair (whatever model it may be) and are impressed by its performance, then keep it.
Thanks Russell. On the back of my subwoofer, there are volume and FREQ setting. Please see attached. I don't know which setting do I need to set for FREQ? I am waiting to buy next new receiver so my current receivers has not any calibration tool left. Thanks for help.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
If your current receiver doesn't have bass management (aka a microphone with Audyssey, YPAO, etc.) then setting the frequency crossover depends upon your speaker's bass frequency response. If your speakers are capable of getting down to 70 Hz or under, turn the frequency of your sub to 80 Hz (about where the picture shows). If your speaker's bass frequency limit is higher, set your sub to around 10 Hz higher (a 100 Hz bass frequency speaker should be crossed over at least to 110 Hz).

If your next receiver has bass management, then set your crossover to maximum and let the receiver handle the crossover. The volume control, usually identified more as a gain control, varies from sub to sub, but generally having it set to the 12:00 o'clock position is normal (never max). You will need to find out where it sounds best without distorting or sounding bloated.

Reactions: Roudan

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your current receiver doesn't have bass management (aka a microphone with Audyssey, YPAO, etc.) then setting the frequency crossover depends upon your speaker's bass frequency response. If your speakers are capable of getting down to 70 Hz or under, turn the frequency of your sub to 80 Hz (about where the picture shows). If your speaker's bass frequency limit is higher, set your sub to around 10 Hz higher (a 100 Hz bass frequency speaker should be crossed over at least to 110 Hz).

If your next receiver has bass management, then set your crossover to maximum and let the receiver handle the crossover. The volume control, usually identified more as a gain control, varies from sub to sub, but generally having it set to the 12:00 o'clock position is normal (never max). You will need to find out where it sounds best without distorting or sounding bloated.
Thanks Russel. Appreciate it. I don't know what is the frequency limit of my speaker. I just bought new Paradigm Monitor 9. Could you please help me find the frequency limit of my Monitor 9 speaker? Please see the below link for data sheet.

http://www.paradigm.com/downloads/Monitor_Series_7_Manual_ONLINE.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts