AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was using an HTPC system until recently, but had to give it up because my VPN was no longer working with Windows 7. My former system consisted of HDHomerun Extend (connected to an antenna) on a Windows 7 with Windows Media Center, Schedules Direct, WMC PVR, and Kodi. I tried Linux Mint before I realized that my graphics card was too old to work with it (or anything else, apparently). I am not a hardware or software expert, by any means, but I've managed to find enough information on the internet to muddle through.

I would like to be able to continue using my HDHomerun Extend to view and pass through for recording on Kodi. I would like to be able to pull Zap2it EPG guide data (which I tested through TVHeadend for a few days with zap2epg addon), with either TVHeadend or Emby to enable recording from OTA, with Kodi as the front end. I want to be able to use a VPN (currently use Private Internet Access on other devices). I have a Sony Receiver that is connected to surround sound speakers, and am viewing through HDMI on a Sanyo TV. I can continue using my HTPC computer to hold my recorded TV, as well as a library of movies and TV shows. Could I do all of this using NVIDIA Shield TV Pro? Or, is there a better option (short of building a new HTPC)?

Thanks so much for any advice you can provide!

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Shield is not a PC. It is an Android TV device mainly for streaming. The only server functionality it can do is plex server or storage server.

Otherwise, it runs Android Apps from Google Play Store only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As mentioned, it's an Android TV device. But you can do quite a bit.

Your VPN, Private Internet Access (PIA) will run on the device. If you're using it for privacy/security only, obviously that works. If you want to use it for some apps to appear in-country for their services, and turn it off for VPN-rejecting apps/services (e.g. Netflix), it also supports per-app VPN.

You can use it as a Plex (or, as far as a recall, Kodi) client and have your server run on your HTPC. Or keep the content on the HTPC and shift the server to the Shield.

Overall, you'd want to look up and see which of the things you use are available as Android TV apps.

In addition, an option is simply moving to Win10 on your HTPC. Most systems that can run Win7 are fine with Win10. (And today you still don't need to pay for a Win10 license to run Win10 legally -- lots of guides out there, like this one: Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet.)

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can do all that with shield. Shield has kodi. But you will still need a Pc working as a back end server. You can tv headend on linux so you don’t have to pay for Windows. It works with hd homerun and schedules direct.

My suggestion would be to load a Linux district on your HTPC and use it as a pvr backend with tvheadend and Plex for other media as well as vpn. Ubuntu is fairly easy and simple to use and you can find tons of tutorials on it for setting up vpn, etc on it..

And for front end you can use shield tv pro.

That’s the setup I personally have.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I'm not sure there is a need for a PC server. The shield can do everything as a HDhomerun DVR server. it just needs added storage or a network location to save to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for all of your responses! I've decided to try the route of installing an older version of Linux Mint on my old HTPC. (I'm still struggling with some of the installs, before I can even see if I will have an issue with video.) However, if that doesn't work out, I'll try the route of buying the Shield for everything I can't do on the HTPC.

BTW, I did discover in my research that Windows 10 wouldn't work with my graphics card either, so that option is out.

Again, thank you all for your wisdom and advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts