AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Streaming on Netflix in HD. Looks good. Possibility of a Blu-ray soon?

And my god. First time seeing this. The ending left me with the same conclusion that 2001 did. It requires re-watching to link everything, draw conclusions with all the symbolisms, etc.

This is the "2001" of horror. A very artistic movie. Check it out if you haven't yet.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Powerful movie. Shocked the heck out of me.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Did not see Triangle but Don't Look Now involves a child as part of the plot. I've the VHS on this one. Just like IAM4UK, it was one of the best horror film in its time, w/ Julie Christie in her younger day. She looked more exquisite in Dr. Zhivago.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever you do, do NOT read about Don't Look Now. If you choose to watch this, you must go in "site unseen", just like with Triangle.

The difference is this: Triangle is more "engineered" for what it is, even if it's engineered to perfection. This is why I feel Triangle is one of the greatest horror/mystery movies out there. What about Don't Look Now?

Don't Look Now is more of an old-school art piece that has more loose symbology and metaphorical meanings. In Triangle, everything can be put together with horizontal deduction, it seems like. With Don't Look Now, it's more ambiguous. For instance, sometimes a flock of doves just means a flock of doves. Oh, that glass breaking? That just means...the shattering of the human soul. Get the point?

Aside from that, they are very similar in nature. They both involve what almost seems to be a "dream-like" state with hysteria, and they both involve a child in one way or another. They both require you to bring your big brain to the table to try to figure out what the hell is going on (hence their "mystery/thriller" label). It's just that Don't Look Now requires you to be more abstract and patient.

Don't Look Now is much like Rosemary's Baby in that it involves a romantic couple, in isolation, with outsiders harming their trust and causing disorder and disillusion. Aside from that, I don't think you can compare this movie to anything else in the horror genre.

Last, if I had to give out a metaphor on the science fiction side, Triangle is to Total Recall as Don't Look Now is to 2001. You should be able to enjoy them both, but they do operate a little differently on the "gear" level. Triangle is more fast paced, with every scene urging you reconsider what you thought before, and it keeps you on your toes. Don't Look Now is more slow, gains it's momentum by building up characters, setting up the location, showing you bits and pieces of mystery elements, sometimes in abstract form, to keep you thinking. Then at the end you are given a "pay off", much like 2001, and you are left almost speechless while also being somewhat confused. Some people take this confusion and say, "that movie sucks." Many other people (like me) take the slight confusion and say, "oh man, I wanna watch this again so I can piece everything together."

Much like Triangle.

·
Registered
28,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule /forum/post/19531396

Streaming on Netflix in HD. Looks good. Possibility of a Blu-ray soon?

Unforunately, there's no relationship between something appearing in HD on Netflix or cable broadcast and a possible Blu-ray release.

I would also love a Blu-ray edition of this movie, though.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the people who have seen it, I would like to phrase the question:

Is "Don't Look Now" an Apocalypse movie?

Answering this question will require spoiler tags. Please use tags because many people have yet to even see it, yet hear of it!

I would argue, that it is an Apocalypse movie to a large degree. It may not be to a "straight forward" degree like Rosemary's Baby, The Omen, Prince of Darkness, The Exorcist, or The Thing, but I think its implications are definitely there!

·
Banned
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

One of the greatest Mystery/Thrillers ever made.

And one my favorite movies of all time...period. Anyone who has not seen TRIANGLE owes to themselves to rectify that situation.

Thanks for the comments, FendersRule (and they do!). I'll be streaming DON'T LOOK BACK (might want to change the thread title. Some are confusing it with the old Nick Roeg film) as soon as I finish typing this.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule
Is "Don't Look Now" an Apocalypse movie?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) no

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
The spoiler tag is openbracketspoilerclosebracket Type your spoiler here... openbracketslashspoilerclosebracket

where openbracket = [

closebracket = ]

slash = /

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Yes, Joel, we are discussing the Roeg film "Don't Look Now." I saw it first in the late 1970s at college. After it ended, I was stunned, and walked the halls of the college in a daze.

I have seen it again on cable, but Fenders, I'll watch it again to think about you Apocalypse theme.

Doug

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) What is the nature of the killer? Is it a physical or a spiritual ("The Devil") entity?

Well, it's probably not a physical person. It's just very unlikely that there's a dwarf running around Venice in a red raincoat, that just so happens to almost exactly resemble his daughter. So, we can probably guess that it's a construction of his daughter. However, we do know that there are deaths happening -- at-least two, so there is definitely something altering the physical environment, which seems to be at random.

The only way I can perceive this, is that the dwarf is essentially the devil, killing at random, taking the form of what hurts people the most, and Baxter just so happened to get caught up in the mess (his second sight, along with the second sight of the women" who warned him).

It IS a stretch to call it an Apocalypse movie, but I think IF people are continuing to die at random, without choice, and it turns widespread, whilst involving the devil itself...one could make the argument.

·
Banned
1,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte /forum/post/19539206

Yes, Joel, we are discussing the Roeg film "Don't Look Now." I saw it first in the late 1970s at college. After it ended, I was stunned, and walked the halls of the college in a daze.

Doug

My bad...seen NOW a couple times already. But, having seen it, and DON'T LOOK UP and now DON'T LOOK BACK, I guess I've caught the whole trilogy!!!! Oh wait...there's DON'T LOOK IN THE BASEMENT...now remade, so it counts twice. Getting as bad as all the movies entitled ASYLUM!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I saw Triangle last night. It did not work for me.

Thought the title should be a different geometric shape.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts