AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of the reviews seemingly spending energy promoting Panasonic and Sanyo this projector is going unnoticed. They do not push their line as hard in the consumer market. There is a popular review site that got it wrong with this unit. It has neither poor color or softness. When calibrated it is simply beautiful. With most of us that read this site we demand the best. Most online merchants offer 2-4 hour trials before heavy restocking fees. It takes longer than that to calibrate and watch afterwards. Epson is offering competitive pricing and an industry leading warranty. See below my previous post. Maybe if more of us tried products from the manufacturers that take care of their customers it would force changes in the other companies. Even if not why not try a great product with a 30 day trial and 2 year overnight replacement warranty? Why spend this much money for less than this? Don't get caught in all of the hype with other brands. There are others to look at. I have nothing against Panasonic and Epson but if you are on a budget and want real Lumens with great colors and sharpness with a company that stands behind its products its easy to like it. I personally neither wanted the lower lumens of the Sanyo or smoothscreen of the Panasonic I just always felt it could be sharper. My personal preference. I tried the Epson.

I purchased the epson 400 direct from Epson. By the way there is a 10% off coupon PM if you need it. And using one of the online coupon sites you can get an additional 3% off. Thats $1400 total with low shipping. I ended up by using Doux settings in the TW 700 Settings thread. All I can say is these settings changed everything. The picture is better in every way. Perfect colors, Sharp and Vibrant. I would really like to know if there is any real world difference between these two units after calibration. I tried the Mitsubishi HD1000 but I am sensitive to Rainbows and eyestrain. I will have to stay with LCD until 3 chip DLP becomes affordable. As far as LCD this unit has great brightness like the Panasonic and much more reliable warranty and track record than the Panasonic and Sanyo. After you own a unit that puts out real Lumens it would be hard to consider a unit like the Sanyo unless you have total light control. You don't have to use it but what a nice feature to have. I would be surprised if using these settings this is not the one to beat in this range. Between poor customer service, color issues, bulb problems and more why not try the one that doesn't seem to have these issues. 2 year overnight replacement and a 30 day in home trial for $1400. Why not try it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I am a happy Epson400 owner (I posted on the Powerlite 400 thread a while back) and I have never even tried to play w/ the settings. So thanks very much, I would like to try those. I want to make sure I found the right post, are these the settings you were talking about?

Thx!

Colour Mode: Theatre Black 1

White Level: -2

Black Level +1

Saturation: -7

Tint: 0

Sharpness: Standard, +4

Colour Temp: 6500K

Skin Tone: +3

RGB/RGBCMY: RGB

Offset R: -14

Offset G: +4

Offset B: -7

Gain R: +6

Gain G: -4

Gain B: +25

Gamma (customized on graph - IRE 0 to 100): 0, +2, +6, +3, +4, +3, +2, -2, -1

Iris: ON

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi and thanks very much again,

I see there are a bunch of different suggested settings,

I'll try some of 'em.

Here is a really silly question: isn't each "mode" (I mean,

Dynamic, Living Room, Theater, etc.) really just a different

group of settings? If that is right, then "Dynamic" is

a set of particular values for White Level, Black Level,

Saturation, Tint, and so on. And "Living Room" is just a

different set of those values, same for Theater Black 1.

So if the whole set of parameters is specified in the

suggested "tuning," then does it really matter if you

start in Theater or Theater Black 1 or Theater Black 2?

Just wondering, thx !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Theater 1 and 2 use low lamp mode. The following settings are the ones I am using. Try these in Theater 1. Thanks to Doux.

BT1

- Black point : (-1)

- White Point : 0

- Color intensity : (-7)

- Hue : 0

- sharpness : (+5)

- RGB menu :

Offset R : (-14)

Offset G : (+6)

Offset B : (-6)

Gain R : (+7)

Gain G : (-4)

Gain B : (+25)

Color temp : 6500K

Tone skin : +3

Gamma : (+1)(+7)(+10)(+9)(+10)(+7)(+6)(+5)(+8)

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
how is this pj with a 360?

Awesome!!! I and my son play Halo2, Need For Speed Carbon, Project Gotham Racing, Lego star wars and Call of Duty3 and I can say they are all incredible on a 101" screen!

The graphics are phenominal on the 400. No lag problems what-so-ever! I am outputting the 360 thru component cables at 720p.

I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
wish I could find a comparison between this and the 700/810...SImilar price (if ordered from HK) but the faster warranty response here would be a huge plus....now if I could also find a BULB warranty..found it.

If it is pretty comparable to the 700/810 I'd rather have the 400's VA bulb warranty .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.