AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sonic Richard has invited folks in the forum to be pathfinders for new software. As this call for help will likely include folks who have not been in any type of commercial testing program, let's review.

If you are selected, keep quiet about it. Saying you are a tester is a violation of most Non-Disclosure agreements.

Don't give hints, opinions, or other information on what's in the test, how it's going, IF it's going, etc.

I think our group has much to gain if we do this right, don't betray confidences, and offer honest insight into the test.

If people have loose lips, like to brag, or complain, this may be the one, and last opportunity for the group to participate in this type of pre-release evaluation. .

·
Registered
419 Posts
He has a point. There are always people who can't resist being in the spotlight for a brief moment so they violate their NDA's.

I've seen it happen many times before, especially once beta software is seeded to developers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How can it be a violation of an NDA to reveal that you have been asked to sign one? As I wrote in another thread, if hypothetically I have signed an NDA, and the signing of it prevents me from revealing that I have signed it, how could I answer when someone asks me whether or not I have signed one?

Choices:

A: No I have not (lie).

B: I can not disclose that due to the nondisclosure agreement I have signed (oops!).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Having signed and written a lot of NDAs in my career, the existence of the NDA agreement is usually not part of the agreement. I have seen wording that prevents the "Publishing" of the signing of the NDA agreement. In a way, you are trying to use the agreement as part of marketing, financial or personal gain. This can be restricted by the attorney's.

So "Ico-Jones" is right in his paradox. If asked, you need to be able to disclose that you cannot disclose the information.

Just my lay-legal view...

·
Registered
419 Posts
If asked about nda's I usually don't say a word and cover my ears and yell "LALALALALA" at the top of my lungs.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Tom: "Did you sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement?"

Jim: "I'm not at liberty to comment on that."

Even if Tom correctly guesses that Jim signed an NDA, Jim will not be held responsible for telling him, and he has not lied.

Tim

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
You act as if this is the first time we've been RTV beta testers...
Read the first paragraph again. I was clear that the message was for those people who had not been testers before. Since the invitation was not hand directed to a choosen few, it's likely some folks will be new at testing.

This invitation by Richard is a good thing, but only if folks follow the guidelines for testing conduct.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cliffcor
Read the first paragraph again. I was clear that the message was for those people who had not been testers before. Since the invitation was not hand directed to a choosen few, it's likely some folks will be new at testing.

This invitation by Richard is a good thing, but only if folks follow the guidelines for testing conduct.
I believe Randy's point is that as owners of ReplayTV units, we have all used "beta" software, although not under NDA.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ico-Jones
How can it be a violation of an NDA to reveal that you have been asked to sign one? As I wrote in another thread, if hypothetically I have signed an NDA, and the signing of it prevents me from revealing that I have signed it, how could I answer when someone asks me whether or not I have signed one?

Choices:

A: No I have not (lie).

B: I can not disclose that due to the nondisclosure agreement I have signed (oops!).
i'd think the best way would be to just not answer the question unless you're under oath.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reedg01
I believe Randy's point is that as owners of ReplayTV units, we have all used "beta" software, although not under NDA.
lol :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Indeed! Why do people feel that they owe the [impertinent] questioner any answer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.