AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So most of us believe HDCP is coming. I bought a 503cmx largely for the dvi upgradeability. Now that the A303 is out, the issue becomes, do I care? Yet?

The question I have is: what material is going to be encoded? Obviously PPV is the primary target as [nearly] first run movies broadcast in HDTV scare Hollywood, for good reason. But network broadcasters shouldn't care about their content- no one's making money recording HD-Leno. HBO and SHO are in the same boat. I guess when HD-DVD arrives, that'll be the BIG PUSH. So, unless the A303 scaling improves my SD and/or HD significantly, no hurry for me since I don't order PPV.

Are there differing opinoins? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Turt/Ron: What may be missing in your comments is the the total system integration with the Pio. without any consideration of HDCP or PPV. I anticipate that the incorporation of the A303 card may well improve the PQ of my HDTV set top box through the DVI input and scaler of the A303 card and an improved PQ of my DirecTiVo on the S-video scaled by the A303 card.

In the fullness of time, HDCP compliance may be an added benefit; but in the meantime, for a reasonable investment, I may receive PQ benefits today.

Regards:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, that's why I said
Quote:
So, unless the A303 scaling improves my SD and/or HD significantly,
. I guess I wait and see what the PQ reviews are in the next few weeks. Let us know your results. I'm sure there will be many opinions.:)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, there are some people who are claiming the $200 Bravo DVI-based DVD player is something of the grail already.

I don't know if similar results will be obtained using an HD set top over DVI rather than compoenent.

But it sure can't hurt to have DVI that supports HD resolutions and -- to boot -- is HDCP ready.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Well, there are some people who are claiming the $200 Bravo DVI-based DVD player is something of the grail already.
Slightly OT - Does anyone know where you can get/see the Bravo? I tried the usual on-line suspects with no success.

Dick

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
But it sure can't hurt to have DVI that supports HD resolutions and -- to boot -- is HDCP ready.
Yup, that's a biggie for me - being able to hook up my TS-160 HD receiver via DVI would be nice, which frees up input 2 (component) for the XBox.

[As I've mentioned before, I'll probably go with the TVP-1000+ because I want a 2nd component input (for a future progressive DVD player) and I want PIP for sports. Though if I set up a real HTPC, I wouldn't need a PC on input 1 & DVD on input 2...]

Edit: Doh! Typed 'HDTV' instead of 'HTPC'!

·
Registered
573 Posts
RLReady

Website for V inc.
http://www.vinc.us./

AVSforum link that discusses Bravo D1
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=248975

AVSforum link to discussion on HDCP
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=199439

There are other similar links but this may get you started. I am going to wait for the Samsung HD DVD-931 and then probably choose between that and the Bravo. The reports so far on the Bravo through HDCP compatible DVI ports are pretty positive. Because of STB and DVI, folks are frequently discussing DVI splitters now too. It is interesting. Good luck.

Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.