Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy,

I learned a lot from a very senior level professional video person last week (works at one of the most respected video companies in the U.S.). I am not a pro at all myself but might be a little dangerous...I have been trying to achieve something somewhat challenging...a macintosh VGA-RGBHV signal (I want to drive it 16:9 into a scaler and that is very challenging) + an RGBHV signal from an HDTV receiver, a regular VGA-RGBHV signal and a progressive YPbPr signal all going to a 50" panasonic display in as close to native form as possible (read scaler)...After lengthy discussions with a lot of people I finally had a conversation with someone who has been in the business on the pro side for some time...So here we go:

1) As many have said in this forum, "de-interlacing" is an important element of a scaler.

2) There are two other very important elements of a scaler: decoding and scaling

This is where it gets interesting: If you are using component video, decoding is already done, so the scaler is only using de-interlacing and scaling. If you are using progressive video (which I have to believe many in this forum are using), then the signal is already de-interlaced and decoded so the only part of a scaler doing anything is the scaler itself (Faroudja may be doing more here as its proprietary "color" chip seems to be in place after the scaler itself). If you are using RGBHV from practically any source, the same thing is occuring as the porgressive and the only part of the scaler being used is the scaling chip, not the de-interlacing chip or decoder as these elements have already been processed prior to getting to the scaler box altogether...I found this particularly interesting as many here have indicated how important the de-interlacer of a scaler needs to be..This is only true if the incoming signal has not already been de-interlaced..and signals that are progressive or RGBHV (with very few exceptions) are de-interlaced already.

I thought I would pass this on...If my comments above seem somewhat naive, I apologize, but I thought I would try to post a clear message that would guide a few of those in the forum who need basic info. when thinking about scalers...

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
1080i, an interlaced HD signal, is RGBHV; very few scalers touch it, most simply passing it through. my 50" plasma has an internal scaler/de-interlacer; the only way it displays HD is fullscreen 16:9, but using 1280x768 pixels, so some scaling is going on since the aspect ratio of a 16:9 HD feed is 1280x720 or 1366x768.

the output of one firmware iteration of the Proceed PMDT DVD transport allowed you to choose either rgb or component out (480i), but they later went to component only.

progressive dvd ouput from the toshiba 9200 was also component (the only example i have used)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, would agree 1080i is clearly interlaced...And most scalers would have a challenge here in any case...In my situtation the HDTV receiver is a Panasonic and I have the choice of putting out 720p (regardless of input and that is the output I am using and therefore not interlaced) and my DVD player is the Pioneer DV-AX10, putting out progessives, so again no interlace issues....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.