AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Toshiba 34HDX82 Manual it states that the DVI should not be hooked up to a computer. Why not? Could this actually hurt the TV??

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes. But probably not. Basically, they just want to be able to deny your warranty coverage in the event that you do crazy things with your set. You know, like turn it on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocketbeagle
In the Toshiba 34HDX82 Manual it states that the DVI should not be hooked up to a computer. Why not? Could this actually hurt the TV??
With computers you have great flexibility to set different resolutions, which consequently generate different scan rates. If you accidentally send your TV a signal with too high a scan rate you will overdrive the tube and may indeed possibly do damage which most certainly would not be covered under warranty. Considering that it is prohibited in the licensing agreement for a DVD-ROM drive to output a digital signal via DVI anyways I doubt you'd find much benefit even if you were willing to take the risk IMHO.

Hope this helps,

Dan

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danstone
Considering that it is prohibited in the licensing agreement for a DVD-ROM drive to output a digital signal via DVI anyways I doubt you'd find much benefit even if you were willing to take the risk IMHO.
I'm really disappointed at the lack of pc dvi support for these direct views. I don't remember which one, but at least one direct view's dvi works properly (reports to the computer which resolutions its capable of).

If the sony 34xbr800 supported the pc dvi connection I'd have one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.