AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timothy Dalton to Lead DC Universe’s ‘Doom Patrol’
By Jennifer Maas, TheWrap.com - Sep. 5, 2018

Timothy Dalton is coming back to the small screen for the leading role in DC Universe’s upcoming live-action series “Doom Patrol,” an individual with knowledge of the casting tells TheWrap.

He joins a cast that includes Alan Tudyk, Brendan Fraser, “Orange Is the New Black” star Diane Guerrero and “The First Purge” star Joivan Wade.

Dalton will play Dr. Niles “The Chief” Caulder is a pioneer in medical science, searching the world over for those on the edge of death in need of a miracle. Brilliant but controversial, Dr. Caulder will stop at nothing to help those he believes are in need, including his collection of strange heroes known as The Doom Patrol.

The part marks the James Bond actor’s first series regular role since Showtime’s “Penny Dreadful” ended in 2016.

Per the official description from studio Warner Bros TV, “Doom Patrol” is a reimagining of one of DC’s strangest group of outcasts: Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Woman and Crazy Jane. Led by the mysterious Dr. Niles Caulder, they’re called into action by the ultimate hero for the digital age, Cyborg. Banding together, these rejects find themselves on a mission that will take them to the weirdest and most unexpected corners of the DC universe.

The series is executive produced by showrunner Jeremy Carver, along with Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns and Sarah Schechter.

“Doom Patrol” joins several other scripted series coming to the new DC Universe platform next year, including “Stargirl,” which was announced at Comic-Con, a live-action “Swamp Thing” series, a revival of the Cartoon Network series “Young Justice,” the live-action Lois Lane-Lex Luthor series “Metropolis,” and an animated Harley Quinn series.

DC Universe will launch its streamng service on Sept. 15, with its first series, “Titans” premiering on Oct. 12.

https://www.thewrap.com/doom-patrol-...chief-caulder/

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/young-justice-and-doom-patrol-renewed-additional-seasons/

First up -- DC Universe's wildly acclaimed 'Doom Patrol' will be back for a second season of surrealism and hijinks featuring "The World's Strangest Heroes." Via a deal with the recently announced HBO Max, new original episodes of the show will debut in 2020, simultaneously on DC UNIVERSE and HBO Max. Executive producer Jeremy Carver and Crazy Jane herself -- actress Diane Guerrero -- delivered the news to a hall filled with cheering fans.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
HBO Max: All DC Shows and Movies Missing at Launch

with the launch of HBO Max there's the ongoing question of whether HBO Max and fellow streaming platform DC Universe are meant to co-exist...all signs point to WarnerMedia maintaining both services for the foreseeable future...Doom Patrol may be available on both, but no other DC Universe-exclusive series has made that jump...HBO Max content chief Kevin Reilly indicated to Business Insider that Doom Patrol is a unique case - a series with crossover appeal that can also benefit from having both services cooperate in terms of the production budget

Reilly also spoke about how the services are meant to coexist, saying, "There have been extensive discussions around DCU because DC is such a valuable entity to us and the depth of fandom is so important...So we really want to figure out how we walk this line for fans where we have a deep fan engagement, which is why DCU was designed, and a broader fan engagement."

In essence, DC Universe is envisioned as more of a boutique service for hardcore fans, whereas HBO Max is meant to have broader appeal...

https://www.ign.com/articles/hbo-max-shows-movies-missing-dc

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is one of the things I started watching with my free HBO Max. Only one episode in but it sure is different. I found it intriguing and well done. When it was over I found myself wanting to watch more (didn't have time) so that is a good sign. I can see this as being a love it or hate it kind of show for sure, it truly is different than anything of the other DC shows out there.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Is the Doom Patrol on HBO MAX available in 4K? Maybe DC Universe will be for the 4K fans while HBO MAX will be for the 1080p folks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Is the Doom Patrol on HBO MAX available in 4K? Maybe DC Universe will be for the 4K fans while HBO MAX will be for the 1080p folks. :rolleyes:
no, nothing on HBO Max is currently in 4K or HDR...more people will probably watch Doom Patrol with HBO Max due to wider availability/interest but for a videophile like me I prefer to watch it on DC Universe...DC Universe will most likely be folded into HBO Max sooner rather then later...if DCU stays afloat it'll be used as a comic portal

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
This is one of the things I started watching with my free HBO Max. Only one episode in but it sure is different. I found it intriguing and well done. When it was over I found myself wanting to watch more (didn't have time) so that is a good sign. I can see this as being a love it or hate it kind of show for sure, it truly is different than anything of the other DC shows out there.
I had not heard about Doom Patrol until one of the guys at my local Best Buy told me about while he was putting the Season1 Blu-ray set on the shelf. It was comparatively inexpensive so I picked it up and just loved it. It was so weird and funny at times and the cast was excellent. I got a kick out of Alan Tudyk as Mr. Nobody occasionally ragging on DC Universe subscribers for watching the show. It was nice to see Diane Guerrero of Orange is the New Black fame in a different and major role. Whatever "It" is, the girl has it. I'm looking forward to Season Two especially now that the the show will be accessible via the new HBO Max streaming service that I get with my Xfinity account.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
There were nice little references in Doom Patrol regarding music such as Jane's (or Kate's) Driver 8. Same type of thing in The Outsider.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking forward to season 2. This was a completely different type of superhero show, haven't seen something like this in the superhero genre in a long time if really ever. Was refreshing/different which made it that much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It was nice to see Diane Guerrero of Orange is the New Black fame in a different and major role. Whatever "It" is, the girl has it.
She does have IT. She was also in Season 2 of SUPERIOR DONUTS after her OITNB role. Definitely made that season more enjoyable.

Reactions: allargon

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
I used up my free trial of DC Universe a few months back...I planned on watching S1 of Doom Patrol but since the free trial was only 7 days I was only able to watch both seasons of Titans (24 episodes)...I'll sign up for DC Universe again once all the episodes of S2 of Doom Patrol drop...I'm not watching it on HBO Max which is only 1080p SDR while DCU is 4K HDR10

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
HBO Max had announced the second season of Doom Patrol will begin on Thursday, June 25th and will contain 9 episodes (down from 15 for S1)...three episodes will be made available on that day on HBO Max, then they'll release weekly for the remaining six...all nine episodes will roll out weekly on DC Universe, though it's unclear if it will premiere on the same day as HBO Max...

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
HBO Max had announced the second season of Doom Patrol will begin on Thursday, June 25th and will contain 9 episodes (down from 15 for S1)...three episodes will be made available on that day on HBO Max, then they'll release weekly for the remaining six...all nine episodes will roll out weekly on DC Universe, though it's unclear if it will premiere on the same day as HBO Max...
That is beyond weird. They are really pushing the HBO Max narrative, aren't they? Too bad that it still lacks 4K/HDR/Atmos and adequate bandwidth to even stream 1080p/24/30 without excessive buffering. :(

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check out an exclusive new trailer for Doom Patrol: Season 2, which gives fans their first look at upcoming new villains like The Candlemaker and Red Jack. This trailer also teases the debut of the only team even stranger than the Doom Patrol themselves - the SeX-Men. That's right.

Doom Patrol: Season 2 will debut simultaneously on DC Universe and HBO Max on Friday, June 26.

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Just got HBO Max and had nothing to watch last night after Stargirl, so I thought I'd give the first episode of this a shot. A little on the fence at the moment but willing to watch more. The tone of the show is very odd. Alan Tudyk's voiceover definitely pushes for high-camp comedy, but Brendan Fraser and some of the other cast seem to be playing it as a tragedy. It's also extremely strange for the pilot episode of a comic book superhero show to have almost no conflict or action.

But, as I said, I'll watch more and see how it goes.

Fraser kind of looks like crap, though, doesn't he? (And no, I don't mean the robot version.) He isn't aging well, sadly. He put on a lot of weight and the way his eyes bug out of his face looks unhealthy.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Fraser kind of looks like crap, though, doesn't he? (And no, I don't mean the robot version.) He isn't aging well, sadly. He put on a lot of weight and the way his eyes bug out of his face looks unhealthy.
also the Timothy Dalton character (Niles) was actually played by a different actor in the DC Universe Titans series (which was the series where Doom Patrol initially debuted)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts