AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)
I am am finally starting to work on the theater in my basement. The room is 13x19 as I have depicted in my attached drawing. The green is a riser platform. I have a few questions that I am hoping you seasoned experts can help with:

1) Do you like the red or purple door location? I am going to close off the current double door in the back of the room.
2) I am planning a 7.2.4 setup and I was wondering if the LS and RS speakers can be in-wall to save space on the walking path.
3) What do you think about the placement of my subwoofers?
4) Can the LB speaker be above the door header if I go with the red door location?
5) Where should i place the atmos speakers?

I am sorry for all the questions, but I have been reading sooo much and I know that every room is different.

Thank you in advance for taking your time to help me :)
T

Attachments

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,255 Posts
probably red but swinging out instead of in.

yes in walls, with quality inwalls to save space

If those are theater recliners the second row won't fit and it certainly won't recline, you need 6 1/2 ft deep riser at a minimum.

There is no reason for the back of the first row to be further than 12 ft from the screen in this space.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff. For the back row I was planning on 4" based on alot of chairs i was reviewing on theaterseatstore.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,255 Posts
the smaller of those two chairs is 66 inches long in the reclined position. It will be hard to fit that in a 48 inch space, Plus you have to deal with the overhang of your feet off the end of the footrest. Trust me I've been doing this for a while and your riser needs to be 6 1/2 ft deep Even more for better audio in the rear row,

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhhh ok I was only really thinking about behind the seat, not in front. Ill update the Visio tonight with some new measurements.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Looking better. Planning TV or projector?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
What's outside the back of the theater?

Are you attached to the reclining feature of the front row seats? That forces your rear seats up against the back wall,
and on top of the rear surrounds.

Do you actually need the second row of seating? If not, that can be a substantially improved room re audio.

I gather you have you have most of your audio gear?

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Cons:

just three seats...

Pros:

No money spent on overflow seats that are audio compromised.

Bigger screen potential. A bigger screen won't force the center channel down low. And you can
mount the screen lower with a single row, and get a bit of that IMAX feel.

Superior seating placement.

No riser costs and cheaper by three seats, so budget to upgrade elsewhere.

Ears can be planted at 67% of room depth, and there's still breathing space off the rear surrounds.
(You do need room for a surround sound filed to develop, and you do not want to be seated right on top
of any surround sound speaker, as it will get pulled out of the field and drawn undue attention to itself.)

You have the potential for that perfect time aligned, "money" seat.

Less av gear visual clutter, and no there's light spilling off the screen lighting up the top of a center channel, or the side of the LR.
If you don't have your speakers yet, then you also can pull off three identical speakers, for perfect timbre matching up front.

BTW, you missed one dimension, room height. As for a 4" riser, I doubt that is going to cut it, for two rows, to
provide proper sight lines for a second row, unless the screen is mounted overly high (for the front row). Also the room height
also might impact re overhead speakers.

BTW, you can't raise your surrounds in an ATMOS setup, to gain separation like in a 7.1 setup. (I do like the idea of in wall speakers,
with simple backer boxes, for all surrounds and overhead speakers though, in such a space, as the throw distances work for pretty much
any speaker type to play reference level.)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
1) Do you like the red or purple door location? I am going to close off the current double door in the back of the room.

My preference is on the back wall, in the back corner. I much prefer the door to swing inwards. (I have a door at the top of my stairs that swings outwards, into a hall
with a corner right there. About once every two years, I manage to time it perfect, coming around that corner just as the door starts to open. Walking into the edge of the
door isn't fun.

2) I am planning a 7.2.4 setup and I was wondering if the LS and RS speakers can be in-wall to save space on the walking path.

That would be my first choice, as well as the back surrounds, and the overhead speakers. Simple DIY backer boxes, to give an identical
air volume for each speaker. I also like the idea of 5.1.4 in a 13' wide room, and maybe go with some narrow seats, and squeeze in that fourth seat.

I'd prefer mine to be up front. No chance of cancellations nor placement issues. I also prefer them sight unseen, which also has a nice WAF.
I leverage an AT screen to hide two not so pretty, large and intense subs. Now some guys like their subs near field, but I always found that a little
gimmicky, right until a Parasound pre-amp I had, had a tactile channel with a 20 Hz cut off. That eliminated the deep male voices proving tactile
feedback.

I'm also a fan of BIG subs, but I don't want to see them, nor have them a trip hazard in the dark.

4) Can the LB speaker be above the door header if I go with the red door location?

Not a good idea... if you care about audio.

5) Where should I place the atmos speakers?

Pretty much where you have them, but with a little more separation from the seating. (maybe think more aim-able speakers here?)

As for recliners, how many people manage to fall asleep during a movie? Way too comfortable for me....
So maybe recliners don't have to be a design "thing" for two rows, with an upside to bringing a second row off the back wall???

And if you put some significant design effort into your room regarding audio, well you just moved your ears, so hopefully you've
thought about that new placement also.

Lots of stuff to think about.....

·
Registered
777 Posts
I’d lean toward the red location under the assumption that it would reduce light being cast on the screen when the door is opened. However, I think it’s important to know what the adjoining space looks like in order to determine what makes the most sense.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's outside the back of the theater?

Are you attached to the reclining feature of the front row seats? That forces your rear seats up against the back wall,
and on top of the rear surrounds.

Do you actually need the second row of seating? If not, that can be a substantially improved room re audio.

I gather you have you have most of your audio gear?
Outside the back of the theater is a small kitchenette with a double sink. I plan to add a small fridge, popcorn machine, and maybe a candy vending machine.

I am kind of attached to all of the seats being recliners, more than I am to it sounding perfect. I am also stuck on 6 seats as my ultimate plan is to host movie nights with my close friends.

I do not have any audio gear yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, you missed one dimension, room height. As for a 4" riser, I doubt that is going to cut it, for two rows, to
provide proper sight lines for a second row, unless the screen is mounted overly high (for the front row). Also the room height
also might impact re overhead speakers.

BTW, you can't raise your surrounds in an ATMOS setup, to gain separation like in a 7.1 setup. (I do like the idea of in wall speakers,
with simple backer boxes, for all surrounds and overhead speakers though, in such a space, as the throw distances work for pretty much
any speaker type to play reference level.)
The room is 8 foot tall, with a roughly 12-14" rafter between the ceiling drywall and the first floor. I was thinking I was going to need at least a 6" riser but I was going to wait until I decided on seats and had them delivered before I built anything.

So for RR and LR are you also recommending i put those in the wall? or just LR since i have the door in the way?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

My preference is on the back wall, in the back corner. I much prefer the door to swing inwards. (I have a door at the top of my stairs that swings outwards, into a hall
with a corner right there. About once every two years, I manage to time it perfect, coming around that corner just as the door starts to open. Walking into the edge of the
door isn't fun.

That would be my first choice, as well as the back surrounds, and the overhead speakers. Simple DIY backer boxes, to give an identical
air volume for each speaker. I also like the idea of 5.1.4 in a 13' wide room, and maybe go with some narrow seats, and squeeze in that fourth seat.

I'd prefer mine to be up front. No chance of cancellations nor placement issues. I also prefer them sight unseen, which also has a nice WAF.
I leverage an AT screen to hide two not so pretty, large and intense subs. Now some guys like their subs near field, but I always found that a little
gimmicky, right until a Parasound pre-amp I had, had a tactile channel with a 20 Hz cut off. That eliminated the deep male voices proving tactile
feedback.

I'm also a fan of BIG subs, but I don't want to see them, nor have them a trip hazard in the dark.

Not a good idea... if you care about audio.

5) Where should I place the atmos speakers?

Pretty much where you have them, but with a little more separation from the seating. (maybe think more aim-able speakers here?)

As for recliners, how many people manage to fall asleep during a movie? Way too comfortable for me....
So maybe recliners don't have to be a design "thing" for two rows, with an upside to bringing a second row off the back wall???

And if you put some significant design effort into your room regarding audio, well you just moved your ears, so hopefully you've
thought about that new placement also.

Lots of stuff to think about.....
1) I think i settled on having it on the side wall so as to reduce any potential glare on the screen.
2) So honestly i dont want to go overboard but i do want the room to sounds good. If it put RR and LR on the back wall facing forward, maybe with a slight tilt toward the seats how do you think that would sound? But i am not against going to a 5.1.4
3) Ok i actually was reading about subs and changed my drawing to have them both in the front on either side of the screen.
4) question about inwall above
5) I joke with my friends that i wont even go to a movie theater anymore unless they have recliners :p so i am fairly set on having all recliners

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now lets talk a little bit about speakers. To start off I am not an audiophile AT ALL, and neither are any of my friends. I just want something that sounds good to normal people. Additionally I am deaf if my left ear so alot of this i wont hear, but i'm sure my wife and friends will :p So far for gear I compiled this list. I am open to changing anything on the list based on recommendations as nothing has been purchased yet:

Receiver - Denon AVRX6300H
Projector - Epson 5040UB

LF & RF – Klipsch RP-260F
Center – Klipsch RP440C
LS & RS (Maybe RR and LR as well based on notes above) - Klipsch PRO-160RPW
Subs – Klipsch R-112SW

Atmos - ???
Screen - ???

Media is mainly coming from my NAS through Plex. I am not sure what device i will use yet, likely an Nvidia Shield but maybe a small custom computer.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
The rear and side surrounds aren't large throw distances, so pretty much any speaker will give you reference levels. I'd put the side and back surrounds as in wall
speakers, and raise them up, to gain a little more separation between seating and speaker.

All six as recliners, in 19' of room depth is going to push the front row forward. Now if that puts the front seating row at half room depth, you just designed
yourself into EVERY seat not having good sound. I hear you regarding audio taking a big step backwards over seat count, but you might want to not drop any
serious money on the sound system then. I'd also suggest that maybe 7.1 might be a better choice, over ATMOS. With the seating selected, you can sit in one,
and measure where your eyes are. A to scale side sight line diagram will be a good tool to rethink your riser height. You do want the rear row to be able to see the
bottom of the screen.

Now the larger screen is going to force the center channel down low, so dialog isn't going to be intelligible in the second row. Now you can raise the screen, but get it a
little too high, and ergonomics are getting to be an issue in the front row.

The 5040 is a pretty nice pj. :) Not having gear at this point, is a nice luxury.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts