AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Working up some plans for a new house and was wanting to know thoughts on doors on the back wall. I know its not ideal, but its going to have to be. What we do have control over is location on the back wall:

1. Corner?
2. Middle?
3. Somewhere in between?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How wide is the rear wall? Will there be a riser- if so, is the door at riser level or not? How close to the rear wall will the rear row of seats be?
About 5-6m (16-20ft) wide

Yes the riser will go from side to side. I'd probably have steps outside the room to bring you in at riser level.

The back row will be 1-2m (say 5-7ft) from the back wall

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Then you know more-or-less where the speakers will go...

I find it easier to put the door in the center, which is what I have done in my 12' wide room, but you probably have room to optimally place the rear surrounds and still have a door in the corner if you prefer. I like the symmetry of the door in the center.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yia Sas! So I had the door in the back of my last theater, and I had it on the left side (as you face the screen). The other side of the back wall (outside the theater) was facing the kitchen, so I custom built Alder cabinets on that side to fill in the area of the little halway steps I built on the inside of the theater. Something like this:

I had steps up inside the theater, and the area for the steps left room on the rest of the outside of the wall to do something else. It worked out really well. Just another suggestion.

BTW, I prefer the door at the back...not sure why you called it not ideal. I have to put my door on my current build at a first reflection point near the front...which I think is way worse than in the back...but that's just me, I guess.

Good luck...sounds like a nice big space (I'm jealous).

Attachments

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
We have ours on the back wall left hand side... We built a 5' long hallway to do a double door setup. Sometimes i wish we had made the door in the center, but it also would mean we would have had to cut the soffit where the door is to have clearance for walking into the HT...on the other-hand we would have a more symmetrical room with a center entrance door. I still could have done the double door with just a few inches of space between them as we have 9" thick bass traps on the rear wall.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Peter,

Good sized room !

What's on the other side of the back wall ?

Where is the projector going ?

Where is the equipment going ?

Is anything else going to be built into the back wall ?

Cheers,
My lofty intentions are for a double bass array - IB style, so that will take up a lot of room

Projector? in a box, I am guessing now above the door :)

Kit? probably outside (theater would be off a rumpus room in the current plan)

Sounds like middle is the go, or maybe just one side of center in case of issues with projector height

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have room above for the projector, I'd stick it in the middle. What is the ceiling height ?

Easier to get a nice symmetric DBA that way.

Cheers,
3600 if all goes to plan.

Do you have enough room below your projector for a normal height door off the riser?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I put mine on the left side/aisle of the room. The riser for my back row is only in the middle, so no step to get into the HT. The riser itself is about 9.5' long. Really depends on overall width of the room and how you want it to look. But I would say either the left or right side makes the most sense unless you have a very long room with space in the back.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Geez ... your dimensions sound strangely familiar !

3600 - 300 riser - 500 soffit - 2100 door = 700mm. You should be fine.
Good, good. Thanks!

A month or two ago I asked Shawn "dimensions for 2 rows of 4" and that's what he said - in fact it was "3600 minimum"

PS. Your racks looks awesome all finished (can't think of a better way to say that ;) )....I should pop in at some point and see the finished product

·
Registered
107 Posts
align the door with the side aisle not the center of the room unless you have lots of space behind the rear row of seating.
BIG, I am working on a 22.5 X 13 space with options for door on rear right or Center (facing the screen wall).

What door position would you recommend if I am planning for 2 rows seats? 1 st row riser about 3.5' from rear wall.

what would be an ideal space to accommodate a dry bar? can I plan for center door with door swing out?

Regards,
NJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts