AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys. I am looking for an inexpensive solution to this problem. I would like to be able to flash a light (different for phone than doorbell) whenever either of 2 phone lines or the doorbell is ringing.

I have found a couple of solutions that either:

Are very expensive

Deal with only one phone line

Require rewiring of existing doorbell

I want to tie into my existing doorbell transformer and telephone lines, wire up a chime for the doorbell in the basement, and put a couple of lights in the theater so I can see (since I am sure the volume will be cranked and I won't hear either :D .

I thought I remembered a thread here that discussed directly connecting car 12V bulbs but can't find it here anywhere after extensive searching both in this forum and in the HTB forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gee, all these responses are about the same as what I found! ;)

Seriously, if it helps, I would like to keep this

·
Registered
855 Posts
This is not a complete solution (you have to buy other stuff to go with it) but take a look at this .

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. That was the one I found that only did one phone line. For that price, guess I could get two modules and just use the other one for the second line. Just wondering how to parallel both of them so they flash the same light.

BTW, what all else would I need. Never messed with X10 before.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The parts in that Smarthome Device are very common and inexpensive. Easily found at a RS. Of course it would require a bit of electronics know-how to make a duplicate and custom device.

The heart of the design is (I suspect) this chip: MOC3010 Optoisolator A common and inexpensive IC.

Take a look at the datasheet from TI for some common applications.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.