AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that almost every blu-ray disk that I've watched has dot crawl. It's most noticable on walls, backgrounds, etc. This is even on disks that are considered by most to be "very good" or "reference" for PQ. Is this common for blu-ray disks? Not to start a war or anything but it was NEVER an issue with my retired HDDVD player. Are reviewers ignoring dot-crawl or is it a problem with my setup?

Thoughts...comments??

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB968323 /forum/post/17026329

I've noticed that almost every blu-ray disk that I've watched has dot crawl. It's most noticable on walls, backgrounds, etc. This is even on disks that are considered by most to be "very good" or "reference" for PQ. Is this common for blu-ray disks? Not to start a war or anything but it was NEVER an issue with my retired HDDVD player. Are reviewers ignoring dot-crawl or is it a problem with my setup?

Thoughts...comments??

I think you would need to give some more details on your setup.

What Blu Ray player and what television or projector do you use and what cables do you use to connect to your system and what discs have you noticed the problem on ?

I can't say i have noticed the problem myself.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Some screenshots of precisely what you mean when you say "dot crawl" might be helpful.

As I understand it, Y/C separation should be perfect except on analog tape-sourced crap like The Beast.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder /forum/post/17026617

I think you would need to give some more details on your setup.

What Blu Ray player and what television or projector do you use and what cables do you use to connect to your system and what discs have you noticed the problem on ?

I can't say i have noticed the problem myself.

TV - Pioneer KRP-500M (Calibrated by Eliab at Avical)

Blu-ray - Oppo

Cable is HDMI provided by Oppo

One of the disks I viewed over the weekend was Obsessed. Looked fantastic other than dot crawl.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/17026998

How big of a screen? Have you calibrated the display?

Blu-ray - Oppo

One of the disks I viewed over the weekend was Obsessed. Looked fantastic other than dot crawl.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB968323 /forum/post/17026886

Could be grain but wouldn't it be all over the screen not just on backgrounds, walls, etc?

You could say the same about the dot crawl that the rest of us are familiar with (which is a problem with display technology, not video formats).

To repeat what others have said, we need examples, pictures if possible.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Pioneer plasmas use a dithering technique that is, to my eyes, much much more noticeable that than used in other displays. The dithering would be noticeable on all sources, however, not just blu ray. Calibration wouldn't make any difference.

As a test, you could try switching to "PC Mode" (done through the input menu, don't recall the exact steps). Does the "dot crawl" disappear? If so, it's just the TV. If it doesn't, I think it's probably film grain. Actual dot crawl is rare even on standard def DVDs, and most are at the very least sourced from component color sources.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB968323 /forum/post/17027057

Blu-ray - Oppo

I have the Oppo Blu Ray player.

Not seen that movie though. Make sure you don't have detail enhancement or edge enhancement switched up high although i assume being calibrated it probably isn't switched up at all.

I believe there are some options in the menu of the Oppo and perhaps one of them is causing this. Can you try using a different player ?

Perhaps as someone says it is just film grain. Any other discs you could mention where you see it.

Dot crawl should only happen if using composite connections and analog sources not digital or at least thats my understanding. It shouldn't happen with HDMI and it would be rare for this to be on the disc.

A list of other movies you have noticed this on would help a lot so it can be determined whether it's just normal film grain or something else.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB968323 /forum/post/17027259

I'm not home so I can't provide pics right now. I'm using this picture strictly as an example but over her right shoulder the wall would have moving/crawling specs.

Okay, then as I suspected you are misusing the term dot-crawl. That wouldn't be dot crawl at all, since there is no color in the wall behind her.

What you are describing is film grain. And that is a good thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/17027833

Okay, then as I suspected you are misusing the term dot-crawl. That wouldn't be dot crawl at all, since there is no color in the wall behind her.

What you are describing is film grain. And that is a good thing.

Thanks. I wasn't sure. Perhaps my old RPTV and HDDVD player did not have enough resolution to really notice it. Now with my new plasma/blu-ray setup it's easy to see.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've seen what you're talking about. Back before I had a BR player and was shopping, I went to a local store and asked to see a BR disk on one of the TV's. The picture was positively horrible, and as it turned out, it was a disk that was considered a reference BR in the tier thread. Horrible hardly covers it, more like, an old analog set with OTA broadcast and a coathanger for an antenna.

I never did find out for sure what was wrong there but they used the same cable with 2 diff players and 3 diff tv's. All did this, and I finally left without buying. After doing some thinking, I figured it was either a bad cable or the connector had gotten dirty, or had a pin missing, or soemthing like that. When I got my own system, I never saw any such thing and certainly with the brand names you're saying you've got, you shouldn't either.

This sort of problem has crept up several times for folks on these forums and I have yet to see a person fix it without replacing hardware (something). In every case also, most folks think the person is complaining about grain when that is not it at all. We've all pretty much seen what grain looks like and it never looks like it's on fire.

Take the exact same disk to a friends house and look at it there. If it looks spectacular, then you know something is wrong at home. I've seen HDDVD, BR, DVD, and none of em have grain that's white specks that moves around, not even VHS.

If you've ever looked at a LCD Monitor when the cable isn't in the VGA port all the way, and some pins aren't making contact. That's what this brings me to mind of when I hear you say dot crawl. Thats the sort of mess on the screen I saw at the store.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts