Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reactions: Chris Popovich

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It looks to be a bit better all the way around with the exception of cost no?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Generous 6.5 mm of Xmax with 48 mm peak-to-peak excursion before damage :eek:

Does that not seem disproportionate to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Just under an inch of inward travel before damage doesn't sound too extreme for an 18" pro woofer. It's liekly the suspension won't ever let it get that far anyway.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Generous 6.5 mm of Xmax with 48 mm peak-to-peak excursion before damage :eek:

Does that not seem disproportionate to anyone else?

It isn’t out of the question, it just means you’d have a hard time damaging the driver. 6.5mm is most likely the distance in which the voice coil is still in the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
It isn’t out of the question, it just means you’d have a hard time damaging the driver. 6.5mm is most likely the distance in which the voice coil is still in the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand. I'd suggest a more reasonable xmax like how the 460HO is calc. Can someone calculate a realistic number? It will make sims more accurate @LTD02

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Are these a direct replacement for a PA460... aka will this work in the VBSS or MiniMarty?

Founf this old thread but it wasn't really helpful.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2971278-new-dayton-audio-neo-woofers.html

It's also a bundled here with a baltic birch enclosure:
https://www.parts-express.com/18-professional-subwoofer-kit-with-dayton-audio-pn470-8-and-knock-down-enclosure--300-7208
You could drop into either of those enclosures in fact you could probably get away with using the VBSS DSP settings. That said this driver looks like it brings just a hair more bottom end output near tuning and looses a couple dB up top. Powered by an inuke or NX 3000 you don't really gain much over the PA460. In the VBSS both those drivers are primarily xmax limited. It could be more linear then the PA460 at high output levels but I wouldn't know unless tested.

Where it looks like the PN470 would have an advantage over the PA460 is in more compact higher tuned enclosures (PA Bass Bins) where more power can be thrown into the PN470.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts