AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very serious question. If there are any legal folks on this forum I'd love to hear them chime in.

I currently get charged by my cable provider for HD stations. I'm fine with this. BUT in order for me to view the HD stations that I paid for I have to pay for an HD box or an HD cable card.

How is this legal? I have no need for their boxes as my tv is completely capable of displaying HD?

Why should the consumer have to pay a fee for a cable device (cable card or hd box) that descrambles the HD channels?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The only thing they're obligated to send to you "in the clear", i.e., not requiring a cable box, is the local network affiliates (NBC, FOX, etc.) If your TV has a QAM tuner, you should be able to tune them without a cable box. You may have to downgrade to the most basic service to get rid of the box, but those channels should be viewable in HD with just your TV.

Anything else that is not a local affiliate is fair game for encryption, and therefore needing a box or cableCARD.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpoints /forum/post/19643459

This is a very serious question. If there are any legal folks on this forum I'd love to hear them chime in.

I currently get charged by my cable provider for HD stations. I'm fine with this. BUT in order for me to view the HD stations that I paid for I have to pay for an HD box or an HD cable card.

How is this legal? I have no need for their boxes as my tv is completely capable of displaying HD?

Why should the consumer have to pay a fee for a cable device (cable card or hd box) that descrambles the HD channels?

There are no TV tuners that "desramble" scrambled signals. The cable company makes money renting devices that "descramble" certain scrambled SD or HD cable networks. In the old days this was called "pay TV."

The only free SD or HD TV is what you receive with an antenna.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/19643692

The only free SD or HD TV is what you receive with an antenna.

And, that may go away at any time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.