AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up today and my HTPC seems to have died. It was hung on the bios check and upon reboot asked if windows should fix setup files whice I said sure. Then the computer would not post again.

So before I order new parts I would love for someone just to check through my list to make sure I tried everything. Just let me know if this is everything or if there is something else I should try.

Trying to find why it does not post

1) removed all external connections

2) removed hard drive and cd connections

3) removed memory

4) switched power supply

5) switched battery which should also reset bios

Never any beeps or anything else that would lead to the issue leaving me I believe with motherboard and chip itself.

I think that is all I can do for now. If anyone want to sell me another chip for this board (Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H) that you have laying around for a few bucks and shipping I would greatly appreciate it. I do not have another chip to see if that is the issue or the motherboard itself. Worse part is it is right before olympics and I had many hours of recordings set to go.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
FYI, removing the battery does not reset your BIOS. Your BIOS settings are stored in a ROM chip, not a RAM chip that requires power. To reset your BIOS you have to use the jumper or button that your MB provides.

Since the BIOS is posting and the HD is being read (otherwise windows wouldn't ask you to try and fix it), you may not have a hardware issue (besides the HD maybe going bad).

Have you tried booting from your Windows CD and reinstalling? Maybe your OS became corrupt (which could have been the result of a failing HD). Go to this site and follow the link to your HD's manufacturer and download their disk diagnostic tool for either diskette or cd image (you want the bootable option so the software loads off a floppy/cd when you boot). Boot from this diagnostic tool and run a disk scan to insure it is in good health. If it passes, then reinstall Windows.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I will use the jumper. To be a bit clearer it froze it appears last night on reboot in middle of loading and then when I rebooted the system it would NOT post again.

Thanks for the help though

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Couple questions.

Is it onboard video?

Do you have more than one display? If yes, are they both powered on?

Have you re-seated the video card if there is one?

Does the motherboard have any diagnostic LED's on it? I have seen Gigabyte boards that did. If so, they should work even if the CPU is dead, at least to say something...

Some boards won't post without a functioning hard disk attached. Swap that out and try then. As stated above, HD failure is more likely. Motherboard/cpu failure is less likely in my experience (rather a lot).

Re-seat the memory modules also. Just for good measure.

No beeps can mean there's no speaker on the mobo. That might need plugged in so you can hear tones. If so, plug one in and listen. I keep a spare with a 4 pin connector (shipped with a case long ago) for just such boards.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it onboard video?
Onboard video with HDMI, and VGA both failed

Do you have more than one display? If yes, are they both powered on?
only one display

Have you re-seated the video card if there is one?
no video card

Does the motherboard have any diagnostic LED's on it? I have seen Gigabyte boards that did. If so, they should work even if the CPU is dead, at least to say something...
No lights that I see sadly

Some boards won't post without a functioning hard disk attached. Swap that out and try then. As stated above, HD failure is more likely. Motherboard/cpu failure is less likely in my experience (rather a lot).
Tried switching between hard drives and still no post

Re-seat the memory modules also. Just for good measure.
also tried this

No beeps can mean there's no speaker on the mobo. That might need plugged in so you can hear tones. If so, plug one in and listen. I keep a spare with a 4 pin connector (shipped with a case long ago) for just such boards.
I thought I had a speaker but now I don't think so and I can not find my spare one so for now not able to try this out. Maybe I will stop by radioshack tomorrow

I did also clear the cmos with the jumper as well as removing the battery

The last thing to add is that the power button and reset button do nothing even though they worked before today

Finally thanks a ton for the help really don't want to have to upgrade my system right now

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If the power button isn't doing anything, make sure it's connected. If you had those connectors off at any point, do some serious checking to make sure they are right. Now, if it IS connected, make sure it's on the correct pins and try. If it still doesn't work, take it off and use a screwdriver on the pins. Short them for a split second and if it powers on, it could be the power switch (highly unlikely, but yer looking for possibilities, however remote)

Is the HD a sata? If so, unplug any PATA cables (40pin) and use the sata only, and only one of them. There are also bios that will not post if the HD's are connected improperly, just as I say above with no drive. If you're using jumpers on the HD to configure, make extra certain they are right(of course that would be a pata drive).

Beyond that, I'm about out of ideas.

If you pull the power from the power supply for say 10 sec, then plug back in, do you get a second where the system acts as if it want's to power up but doesn't? Or, when you hit the switch on the back of the PS off, wait 10 sec, then turn back on, maybe even hit the power button again, do you get that 1 sec attempt to power up. IF you are getting that, then what is happening is the motherboard or PS have a failure somewhere and the motherboard is not sending the "Power Good" signal to the PS. That's not a real well documented issue, but I've seen it. In my experience, it meant the PS has a voltage that's not up to snuff and the Mobo knows it. So, it won't even attempt to power up. You've already changed the PS, but if the problem is the mobo, (I've never seen that with this issue but I suppose it's possible), then the mobo needs swapped out.

On systems where I've seen that, you hit the power button and all the fans try to go, systems acts like it's ready to power up and then instantly dies. Sometimes the fans hardly turn one rev. Strange, I know.

Ah, one more edit. Did you remember to connect the 4 pin CPU power cable when you connected the new power supply? if not, it'll be deader'n a doornail.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First off thanks again for the time

If the power button isn't doing anything, make sure it's connected.

The pins appear correct and I wasn't completely clear here. The power button turns on the the system but to turn it off you have to use the switch on the back of the power supply. Turning it on always works but not turning it off

Is the HD a sata? If so, unplug any PATA cables (40pin) and use the sata only, and only one of them.

I did have a pata plugged in still as a cd drive so removed that and sadly still no go

Beyond that, I'm about out of ideas.

you all had many more than me so they have been a great help

If you pull the power from the power supply for say 10 sec, then plug back in, do you get a second where the system acts as if it want's to power up but doesn't? Or, when you hit the switch on the back of the PS off, wait 10 sec, then turn back on, maybe even hit the power button again, do you get that 1 sec attempt to power up. IF you are getting that, then what is happening is the motherboard or PS have a failure somewhere and the motherboard is not sending the "Power Good" signal to the PS. That's not a real well documented issue, but I've seen it. In my experience, it meant the PS has a voltage that's not up to snuff and the Mobo knows it. So, it won't even attempt to power up. You've already changed the PS, but if the problem is the mobo, (I've never seen that with this issue but I suppose it's possible), then the mobo needs swapped out.

The power does not flash when plugging back in as described. The only time power lags seems to be when I have the system running and switch the supply switch off and back on real quick it will carry the charge through. After that it dies until I turn it on with the power switch again it. I also did surprisingly remember to connect the 4 plug to the MB when changing ps.

On systems where I've seen that, you hit the power button and all the fans try to go, systems acts like it's ready to power up and then instantly dies. Sometimes the fans hardly turn one rev. Strange, I know.

The fans seem to run fine the entire time also spinning at what seems to be normal speeds. Also all the drives did spin up and so on as you would expect just not post sadly on the screen

Again thanks all for any help you can/have offered

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's possible that even though the system appears to fully power on the power supply might be bad and the system won't post. For example the 12V rail might be fine, spinning the fans and the drives, while the 3.3V or 5V rail might be dead. Check all the voltage lines with a multimeter or swap the supply to be sure.

Well never mind, see you already swapped the PS.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Ok, well, one last thing to try.

Remove the CPU fan, then unlock the ZIF socket, make sure the cpu is down in as well as it can be and relock the socket. Visually check to see the heatsink compound made good contact. All this could also be a result of the CPU socket or one of the clips holding the fan breaking. Check that the fan looks like it sits flat on the cpu and that the clips hold it down properly. While its off, you might want to replace the heatsink compound too (if you have any laying around)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.