AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say your only option is ceiling tile for your basement ceiling... would i be correct in assuming that my best course of action above the ceiling tiles would be drywall and green glue between joists directly screwed to the above subfloor?

My goal is simply to keep traffic noise from upstairs from penetrating into the basement, and vice versa.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sorry I misread. You GG between the OSB and Sheetrock. More GG and Sheetrock a second layer if you're serious. Then you could also add 2 layers on the ceiling above the tile. http://www.soundproofingcompany.com . Will help you out tremendously. Ted is in it for the love of his work and his sales come second to your needs. But honestly, he was the best price I could find anywhere anyway. He lurked these forums some too.

I thought I saw somewhere some options to load above the tiles too

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i need to retain access to the ceiling, thats why i am not drywalling below the joists, just between them attached to the subfloor above.

thoughts?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Single layer and GG plus insulation and was enough to keep the tapping of the hardwood floors above (especially with my wife in high heels). It won't stop the flanking noise. Talk to Ted at the link (I even think that picture came from him). He's the real pro. Anything I tell you is second hand knowledge learned form him.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes there is carpet above and we may be upgrading it as well, which gived the oppurunity to add MLV. i borrowed that pic from his site , thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have hardwood and the sound was crazy when my wife would walk with heels, but even the patter of bare feet were loud. 1 layer sheetrock with pink fluffy and gg reduced that noise about 75%. The double layer below that for the ceiling just about got rid of it. With carpet and MLV above, I'd say you're good with 1 layer sheetrock and gg. The benefit being you can always later add a second layer if you feel the need. There's also MLV above the tiles that can help with noise transmition too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can we try fiberglass, double drywall to the joists and than save an inch or two for cables etc. and THEN ceiling tiles ? Has anyone ever done that ? I'd prefer tiles for design on a 9ft ceiling.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's a very open question. More is always better, but you can do whatever you're willing to do. For the price the Sheetrock against the osb was a huge upgrade for me, as I had hardwoods above. Might not be as significant with carpet, but do what you're willing to deal with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts