AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know I am in the process of transferring a bunch of titles from my Pioneer DVR-650H-K's hdd onto Verbatim DVD+R Double Layer 8x discs. I have added around a dozen titles, all under 5 minutes. The green bar says the Copy List total is 0.8 Gb and the disc has a capacity of 8.0 Gb remaining~! Yet it won't let me add any more titles because the rest of the free space is needed for disc management something or other (I don't remember the exact popup wording), which I take it to mean thumbnails, chapters, titles, menu. But seriously, that piddly $htu4F is taking up 90% percent of my disc?! Am I missing something?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I have never heard of this before, but there may be a limit to the number of titles that you can put on a disk. I seem to remember that it is a large number, like 99. If this is the case, you have not run out of space, just space for thumbnails, chapters, titles and menu. If those go in an isolated part of the disk, then you can overflow the disk management portion of the disk while the data storage portion is still relatively empty. But if you are correct in that you only put a dozen titles on the disk, you sould have plenty of space for more, so I am confused. Maybe someone else has an answer for you.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The limit for DL discs is 49, I have seen it in the Pio manual ( page 35 of the manual ). My Copy List had around 15 titles, each between 1-3 min.

Curiously, I loaded a single layer Verbatim +R disc and added the same titles and the Pio still prevented me from adding any more. I burned a few +R DL discs yesterday and was only able to put around 2.8 gb on each (approx. 7-8 titles per disc but they had longer run times than today's issue). It seems like the Pio is not recognizing the DL discs as Double Layer. Frustrating. I called Pioneer Canada and the rep was pretty much of no help. He wasn't rude or completely clueless and he did understand my issue but short of telling me to take it in for service he was unable to help with this problem.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Try a -R disk and see if you get the same result. According to the Panasonic EH55 manual, the +R disks can have up to 49 titles, but the -R disks can have 99. In any case, you are NO WHERE NEAR those numbers. The Panasonic does not have a list for the number of titles that either type of DL disk can have.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
On the Pio that Gilles has, he would have to delete the copy list, then create an identical one, to burn to -R, since he has already burned the existing one to +R. But, that might not be a bad idea anyway, just in case there is something hidden on the copy list that is causing a problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the ideas. I'm taking a break for a couple days but will check a -R (or -RW, shouldn't matter...) disc maybe tomorrow. For one of the +R DL discs that has 9 titles, each averaging 7-12 minutes, my PC says it's at 3.65 gb. So for some reason the Pio doesn't recognize +R DL discs as having 2 layers. I think that I would get the same result with a -R/RW disc but I can't duplicate my 1st DL disc experience b/c I have deleted the titles from the Pio (won't do that again!).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/20793393

On the Pio that Gilles has, he would have to delete the copy list, then create an identical one, to burn to -R, since he has already burned the existing one to +R.

Actually, I can burn & finalize (or is it the other way around?
) disc and then start a new project and Continue Using Previous Copy List (provided I haven't deleted the titles). It saves a couple of steps for those times when making multiple discs of the same titles, like for my friend's daughters.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
True, but on a Pio, once you have burned a copy list to a -R, or +R disc, you can ONLY dub that copy list to the SAME kind of disc. You can't dub to a -R, then dub the same list to a +R. You would have to delete the list, recreate it, THEN dub to the other kind of disc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^ I don't know where kjbawc is getting their info but in the case of the 650 it is totally wrong. I burned a +R disc for a friend yesterday and then today loaded a -R disc, clicked "Continue Using Previous Copy List" and, voila, the exact same titles are ready and waiting to be burned to a new disc, irregardless of +/- format.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Interesting. I have a 640, and a 660. I know for certain that the 640 will NOT burn a disc of a different format from a used copy list. I haven't tried on the 660.

However, to be sure you can follow with a different format disc, when it says "continue using previous copy list" you would then have to actually try to burn it to be sure it would work. I can put in a finalized DVD, hit copy, and be offered the "continue using" option. Not until you actually accept the old copy list will you get the message "load recordable disc."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.