AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally beginning my new home theater construction. The room is approximately 18' x 11' x 8' w/o drywall and is located in my basement. One of the walls separates the theater from the kitchen of our rental suite. It's my understanding that a double wall will help to reduce the sound better than a staggered stud wall, so that's the route I've chosen

I understand the idea behind the wall, but now that I am getting into the details of building it, I have a few questions:

1) How should I tie the wall into the ceiling? Should it be beneath a floor joist? They do run the same direction as the wall.

2) Since I will have two walls separated by 3.5" of space, if one is beneath a floor joist, the other cannot be unless I add another floor joist, is that what I should do? or should I carry the second wall directly up to the subfloor?

3) How should I connect it to the adjacent walls? There are no uprights directly beneath the floor joists, should I add some so that the wall is touching on all sides?

4) Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Vandak, Ideally the inner walls would have less rigid contact with the original framing. You can always install a 2x4 blocking between the joists to give you an attachment point(s). Consider attaching the inner walls to the joists or blocking with an IB-3 Clip.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Sounds good!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.