Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I am in need of some help,

I want to buy a Line Doubler or Scaler to connect to my Sony 1271. I want to connect DVD , Laserdisc and VCR to it, to improve the picture . I am ( like a lot of people) confused what to buy.

I have read about the following models

iScan Pro ( Line Doubler )

Deuce SDQ Scaler

Quadscan Elite HD Scaler

I have also read about and heard, that some Scalers actually defocus the picture on CRT Projectors, making a result of a worse picture. Some reviews and write up's on the same products can be quite different.Some people have told me anything I want to hear , just to sell me the product too.

Which video processors are good performers with the Sony 1271?. The ones mentioned are in my price range ,but I would be grateful of any other suggestions.

I want a processor that will enhance my projector not make it worse. Most scaler descriptions seem to say they are suited for LCD,DLP,and DILA applications.

If any one can advise me , I would be grateful

Thankyou

Regards

Juz

:confused:

· Registered
73 Posts
A lot of scalers have fixed output resolutions which might be too high or too low for the 1271 to produce the best picture. The 1271 is an interesting beast because I've seen posts of people saying they run from 600 to almost 700 lines without touching. I've not seen a post that reports a successful 720P without a small amount of overlap.

I run my 1271 at 680P right now and can just maybe make out scanlines if I look hard on a very bright scene. I might try going to 690P when I have time.

I use the Lumagen Vision scaler which lets you dial in exactly what you want much like an HTPC. I've been very happy with it.

The nice thing about digital projectors is you have a fixed pixel grid you can match too. So any input, when scaled to the size of the output grid, will look great as you've hit the native resolution of the pj. CRTs don't have fixed anything really and the goal is to drive them to the best picture possible which varies for every install.

· Registered
849 Posts
I have a Sony D50Q CRT that works great with a Princeton 1500 doubler which is a re-badged DVDO Iscan Plus V2. I tried in order the following doubler/scalers AVT 3700, Nextvision 6, Nextvision5, and Viewsonic 50. Of those tried, the $100 Viewsonic 50 worked best with my setup but came nowhere near the performance of the Princeton 1500. The best part is the availability of the Iscans on ebay for $250 to $350 for the Plus V2 models. The Pro model is available in the $450 to $500 range.

I think this is the best possible solution for the money for the CRT crowd. From what I have read here, projectors with 7" tubes do very well with just doubling and performance falls off when it goes beyond doubling. This was the case with my projector.

Hope my experience helps you in your research.

Henry McEwin

Weatherford, TX

· Registered
26 Posts
Have a Sony vph1272 which initially was using an iScan. After upgrading to SD200 HDTV box I then switched to Quadscan Elite. Much happier with the picture quality with the Quadscan -- although it did require me to re-calibrate the Sony CRT again.

· Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hI ,

Thanks for the replies,

ipandmusic : Thanks for the info, I am tossing up between the iScan Pro and a scaler , maybe a Quadscan Elite. Thanks for your help

Henry McEwin . I am very happy with my 1271 , I am still unsure which decision to make . Maybe I should buy a iScan Pro for my VCR and Laserdisc

and see how I go . They sound good . I want a unit that is compatible with my projector. Thanks again

WFarms : Thanks for your help . When you say you had to recalibrate your projector to use the Quadscan : did you have to refocus the lenses too , or just resize the picture , and adjust contrast , bright , etc.

As mentioned I heard that some scalers make the projector defocus and result in a worse picture. I want something which enhances the picture.

I would be grateful of your help

I am a bit scared of buying a scaler. I wish I lived in the UK or USA, beecause the dealers seem to be a good. I would like to borrow one ( I would pay a deposit against it) and try it out with my projector.

Every dealer here knows nothing more than what is on the fact sheet. They will sell it to you gladly , saying it is good. But what if it not compatible . I want to buy , but not I am not going to spent $1000 - $2000 on a machine that makes the picture worse on my Projector.

Here they will gladly take your money , but I need to know it is going to be good for me. I bought a Denon 2800 dvd player like that , and wasted 4 months with a terrible player , which all the dealers said it was an awesome machine ( the best) $2000 wasted

Thanks for your help, I would be grateful of anymore help too,

Regards

Juz

:)

· Registered
73 Posts
reg152,

Do you get scanline overlap with your NRS? I can't run my 1271 at 720 or the lines overlap, not by much but just enough to soften the picture.

I want to know if I should spend another weekend tweaking to get 720 out of it. Is the 1272 just that much better you can get 720 out of it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.