AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, an odd question I guess.

I have these speakers for the (side) rears of my 7.1 system, run off my Onkyo 805.

The tweeters are about 72" off the floor if I remember correctly, and they are a a little bit behind directly to the left and right of main seating, and about 7' away from my ears.

The issue I'm having, is that no matter how I run them, they sound very *direct*. And the more I treat my room, the more clear and direct they sound. In fact, when I listen to DTS Audio, it's almost like having a center channel directly over my head...which is cool, but I feel it should maybe be more SURROUND and less direct...if that makes sense.

I'm considering adding a second pair of the same speakers, about 4-5 feet further back (which is almost to the corner of the room) from where the first pair are. Basically doubling up the side speakers.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Any suggestions or thoughts on this?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
What kind of speakers are these?

You said that you have a 7.1 system and that these are your side surrounds. What are you using as back surrounds? Where are they located?

You have an Onkyo 805. That means you have Audyssey MultEQ XT. Have you run it? What sort of results did you get? Audyssey will compensate for the distance and loudness differences between speakers and calibrate everything to equal levels. Have you re-run Audyssey each time you have added sound treatment to your room? You really need to do so.

Finally, what listening mode(s) are you using and what is the source material? A properly set up surround system will not cause the surrounds to sound like a center channel above your head.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18156638

What kind of speakers are these?
http://www.frys.com/product/5346558?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Here is a thread in the forum where another member uses them:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=927762

Quote:

You said that you have a 7.1 system and that these are your side surrounds. What are you using as back surrounds? Where are they located?
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=95

On the rear wall, tweeters at the same height from the floor as the side speakers.

Quote:

You have an Onkyo 805. That means you have Audyssey MultEQ XT. Have you run it? What sort of results did you get? Audyssey will compensate for the distance and loudness differences between speakers and calibrate everything to equal levels. Have you re-run Audyssey each time you have added sound treatment to your room? You really need to do so.

YES, YES, What results specifically are you wanting me to repeat here? And YES, I always re-run Audyssey when I make changes to the room or system, following the guide from here in the forums.

Quote:

Finally, what listening mode(s) are you using and what is the source material? A properly set up surround system will not cause the surrounds to sound like a center channel above your head.

Well, when I listen to DTS Audio, it's in DTS. When I play Blu-Ray it's whatever uncompressed format the Blu-Ray is recorded in, and for DVD it's whatever the best format is on the DVD, and when it's something downloaded it's whatever format sounds bets as most of them are simply Stereo.

And yes, I do feel it's odd that I'm getting a sound image over my head, hence this thread. And while my system isn't perfect, I'm sure I'm setup better than most.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven /forum/post/18156712

http://www.frys.com/product/5346558?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Here is a thread in the forum where another member uses them:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=927762

Well, if these are truly THX certified speakers, than they are dipole speakers and should be mounted directly in line with the listener's ears, not behind them, so that the listener is seated in the null. You should not be hearing any direct sounds from them if they are placed in this manner.

Quote:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=95

On the rear wall, tweeters at the same height from the floor as the side speakers.

Ok.

Quote:

YES, YES, What results specifically are you wanting me to repeat here? And YES, I always re-run Audyssey when I make changes to the room or system, following the guide from here in the forums.

Well, what are your Audyssey trim levels, crossovers, and distances set to? Have you measured the actual speaker levels using the 805's internal test tones and an SPL meter? If so, what did you get?

Quote:

Well, when I listen to DTS Audio, it's in DTS. When I play Blu-Ray it's whatever uncompressed format the Blu-Ray is recorded in, and for DVD it's whatever the best format is on the DVD, and when it's something downloaded it's whatever format sounds bets as most of them are simply Stereo.

I wanted to know if you were using any THX modes or maybe DPL IIX/DTS Neo:6.

Quote:

And yes, I do feel it's odd that I'm getting a sound image over my head, hence this thread. And while my system isn't perfect, I'm sure I'm setup better than most.

Kind of an arrogant assumption on your part.
Do you want help or not?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven /forum/post/18159346

I would, but you come off like a ****** looking for a fight.

So asking questions to get information on how your system is set up and used is being a "****** looking for a fight"? Good luck getting help. Bye.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18156844

Well, if these are truly THX certified speakers, than they are dipole speakers and should be mounted directly in line with the listener's ears, not behind them, so that the listener is seated in the null. You should not be hearing any direct sounds from them if they are placed in this manner.

The best advice given. Should be followed to see what happens.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Management /forum/post/18177609

The best advice given. Should be followed to see what happens.

They are only about 6" back from *directly* to the left and right of ears. I had no choice in that due to studs.

The sound is excellent considering the cost of the speakers, it's just not as "surround" as I was hoping, and thinking a second set of rears about 5' back might help with that 360 illusion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.