AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 518 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Decided to sub out the mudding and taping, since so may other projects were backing up around the house. I have a guy coming next week (#crossesfingers), so I'm working on smaller efforts. I'll try to get a picture up of the server rack with some shelving and a couple of pieces of gear, but here's what the front wall looks like now. I couldn't stand the idea of it being unfinished back there, so I went to JoAnn Fabric and picked up about 11 yds of black crafters felt. At $5.99 per yd, minus an online coupon, I think it's a great spend of $35! I still have to take the Sharpie to most of the staples...

Subbing out the mudding a taping is a wise choice, its on of those skills that takes time, practice and patience to learn.... what took them 3-4 days would have taken me 3-4months :eek:

Front wall is looking good, be warned ..... drywall dust gets everywhere.... and black is a magnet.... you might want to poly it for the drywaller
Do you plan to change the speaker and receptacle plates to black?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Subbing out the mudding a taping is a wise choice, its on of those skills that takes time, practice and patience to learn.... what took them 3-4 days would have taken me 3-4months :eek:

Front wall is looking good, be warned ..... drywall dust gets everywhere.... and black is a magnet.... you might want to poly it for the drywaller
Do you plan to change the speaker and receptacle plates to black?
Yeah, I figure I'm going to have to do some serious cleanup. I just couldn't wait any longer to make more progress!!

I wasn't planning on changing them out, since that back wall is behind the screen baffle wall. Do you think it'd cause problems to leave them white? I actually figured that white would make them easier to work w/, behind the screen and all...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Yeah, I figure I'm going to have to do some serious cleanup. I just couldn't wait any longer to make more progress!!

I wasn't planning on changing them out, since that back wall is behind the screen baffle wall. Do you think it'd cause problems to leave them white? I actually figured that white would make them easier to work w/, behind the screen and all...
Just wondering as you said you where going to Sharpie all the staples.
If light can't reflect off of them back to the screen then it shouldn't be an issue

·
Registered
84 Posts
Definatly a nice build going here, Nice to see a fellow devildog building something nice such as this :) Where are you stationed? I was stationed at MCAS Miramar and worked on F/A-18's for 8 years. I got out in 2003 and moved back to Tx..
Keep up the good work look forward to watching you complete your build.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
That's very cool, thanks, I dig it! I wish I'd found a better IR solution for the RBG receiver, but overall I'm happy with the way these work. I'm working similar scenes with my remote, but I don't think I'll be able to dim my RGB with my current setup. I'll have to incorporate other hardware to make that work, and I'll be strictly on/off until then. Congrats on your build too, it looks great!
Hey man, I've been meaning to ask you about this for a few days...if I remember correctly, you successfully tested out the dimming via iRule in the second YouTube video (which should be recommended viewing for all AVS members contemplating a complex lighting configuration)...what's preventing you from replicating that on a large scale for your room?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Just wondering as you said you where going to Sharpie all the staples.
If light can't reflect off of them back to the screen then it shouldn't be an issue
Oh, that's just my OCD. I KNOW I won't ever see them again once the baffle wall went up, but I'll also KNOW they're there, so I had to sharpie them. ;)

Definatly a nice build going here, Nice to see a fellow devildog building something nice such as this :) Where are you stationed? I was stationed at MCAS Miramar and worked on F/A-18's for 8 years. I got out in 2003 and moved back to Tx..
Keep up the good work look forward to watching you complete your build.
Rah, thanks dog. I'm out now, but I spent most of my time East Coast. I was at 2nd SRIG in Lejeune for most of it, and spent some time @ Pensacola, Goodfellow AFB and Ft Meade. I've been a contractor here at Meade for about 13 years now.

Hey man, I've been meaning to ask you about this for a few days...if I remember correctly, you successfully tested out the dimming via iRule in the second YouTube video (which should be recommended viewing for all AVS members contemplating a complex lighting configuration)...what's preventing you from replicating that on a large scale for your room?
Hmmm, I don't get what you mean? Are you asking why I dimmed only one light, and not a whole scene?? That video is weeks old now, so I can't remember what I said. ;)
I think that's what you're asking, and if I remember right it was b/c I hadn't created scenes yet. I have since then, and they DO work in the iRule. Short version is that you use the Experience app from Lutron to create "phantom buttons" on the main receiver. Phantom buttons are those that exist in software, but you do NOT have a physical Lutron controller with buttons assigned. They give you an id# that you can plug right into the iRule app. Pretty easy-peasy. I've also added a Pico remote since then, so there's something I can have outside the door for the uninitiated. ;)

Is that what you're asking? Let me know if I didn't cover that well, and I can do an update video. While trying to find someone to do my mudding & taping (having a hard time) I've been doing little things, including finally installing the GlobalCache iFlex for the MoviePoster TV (tks Meyer for the new version!!!). That made me update my iRule page for the Movie Room too, so it's a little further along as well.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Picked paint color, GOM, rug and fabrics today!

Here's what they look like with a yellow light on them. The GOM (Reeds 3078, Greystone 020)is on the wall next to the blue paint (Sherwin Williams Bracing Blue SW 6242), the crazy blue is for pillows, the brown is the sectional. The carpet will match the rest of the basement. Just need to pick something to re-cover the existing theater seats...

Here's what they look like with the more white light of the LEDs on them. This color is more true to what they look like in real life, vs. iPhone pics on a browser.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
We had a Super Guest Star Visitor today, good seeing you BrolicBeast!

Painting is moving forward like crazy, 2 coats of dark primer on the ceiling, 1.5 coats of Mouse Ears; a coat of primer on the walls and 2 coats of the blue. Finishing the coat on the ceiling, then installing the speaker and outlet plates, then new pics coming soon. Also 84 Lumber should be delivering the supplies for the riser and stage, so hopefully some progress on that over the next few days too.

On that note: Can anyone help with the Green Glue math?? The riser is about 16 x 16(ish). I'm thinking about 7 sheets of 4x8 OSB per, 3 layers (3/4, then 1/2, then 3/4). Any idea of how much Green Glue I should need?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
We had a Super Guest Star Visitor today, good seeing you BrolicBeast!

Painting is moving forward like crazy, 2 coats of dark primer on the ceiling, 1.5 coats of Mouse Ears; a coat of primer on the walls and 2 coats of the blue. Finishing the coat on the ceiling, then installing the speaker and outlet plates, then new pics coming soon. Also 84 Lumber should be delivering the supplies for the riser and stage, so hopefully some progress on that over the next few days too.

On that note: Can anyone help with the Green Glue math?? The riser is about 16 x 16(ish). I'm thinking about 7 sheets of 4x8 OSB per, 3 layers (3/4, then 1/2, then 3/4). Any idea of how much Green Glue I should need?
Hey man great shot! It was awesome stopping by and seeing this great theater space. Lovely family and house as well!

This room is going to be nuts. The wall panel angles, the overall planning that went into this room, and the super duper movie frame just outside the theater (which was enough to keep anyone entertained before even setting foot inside the theater)... it's all going to come together into something really nice. The color scheme is great too...when you first step into the room, it's easy to visualize the end result. Great work, Doug!

My wife now knows the cost per bucket of green glue...she knows I had about 12 or 13 empty buckets in two stacks at one point....she did the math, and started asking about our next vacation...lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
My wife now knows the cost per bucket of green glue...she knows I had about 12 or 13 empty buckets in two stacks at one point....she did the math, and started asking about our next vacation...lol.
Yeaaaahhhh, that *might* be a little bit my fault...

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Yeaaaahhhh, that *might* be a little bit my fault...
Lol....Dude, I just remembered....the guys who helped me figure out how much green glue I needed were the same guys I ordered it from. Soundproofing Company. I told them my plans, and Ted White hit bme back with an email telling me what I'd need. Call--don't email first. Use email just for follow up once your details are in their system.

They were a tad conservative...I think I ordered one extra than they suggested, and ended up getting halfway through it as my last bucket before the project was over. They offer free basic consulting services as part of the purchase process. Can't believe I forgot to tell you about that part on Sunday. 2014 was a loooong time ago. :-(

Edit: as I think about it, me needing that extra bucket has less to do with them being conservative and more with me going all willy-nilly with the speed loader more often than I should have.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts

Good meeting you at Matt's. Sorry that I had to rush off half way through the job.

Your room is coming along quite nicely.

I used green glue on my stage, actually only one layer of the stage. I used roofing felt for the other layer. I don't have a riser in my small room. For the stage, I applied it at the same rate that is recommended for drywall which is two tubes per 8' x 4' sheet. Translates to one 28 ounce tube per 16 square feet.

For that coverage and 2 applications for your 3 layers, which translates to 512 square feet you would need 32 tubes, or one 5 gallon pail (365 square feet) + 10 tubes.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I called Soundproofing Company and had a really good conversation with them about Green Glue. He understands what I'm trying to do with it, and had great understanding with the Erskine plans that call for it.
His take on it was that it's not necessary for me, and wouldn't really help me at all. He even went so far to say that he couldn't justify it, even for the sale, which I really respect.
Why do the masses think about this?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I called Soundproofing Company and had a really good conversation with them about Green Glue. He understands what I'm trying to do with it, and had great understanding with the Erskine plans that call for it.
His take on it was that it's not necessary for me, and wouldn't really help me at all. He even went so far to say that he couldn't justify it, even for the sale, which I really respect.
Why do the masses think about this?
I'd take his advice. He told me the same thing about Serenity Mat...I told him my plans, when I asked to add serenity mat (because everyone else seemed to be using it) to the invoice, he suggested it would be wasted money in my setup. I said I wanted it anyway, and he responded with something to the effect of: "I can add it to the invoice, but as a professional acoustician, I emphasize that there will be no added benefit to your room." Realizing that he was offering advice at the expense of a sale, I thanked him for it and refrained from ordering it. Their advice is tailored for the room of the buyer.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
I'd take his advice. He told me the same thing about Serenity Mat...I told him my plans, when I asked to add serenity mat (because everyone else seemed to be using it) to the invoice, he suggested it would be wasted money in my setup. I said I wanted it anyway, and he responded with something to the effect of: "I can add it to the invoice, but as a professional acoustician, I emphasize that there will be no added benefit to your room." Realizing that he was offering advice at the expense of a sale, I thanked him for it and refrained from ordering it. Their advice is tailored for the room of the buyer.
Hey, anything that will save me $500+ on Green Glue is advice I'm willing to take! I agree that his advice is tailored, and that he was offering advice at the expense of a sale. I just wanted to make sure someone else out there didn't have any extenuating circumstances before I start screwing down sheets!

101 - 120 of 518 Posts