AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
11,767 Posts
And what about you, Jonathan? You have some serious firepower across the entire bandwidth now. Do single digits, while on a concrete floor and without transducers, add much to the HT experience for you personally?
Post #10
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1610754-advice-goal-8-10hz-flat-15-reference.html#post25907002

Now that I have eight sealed subwoofers I still feel the same way. A quality 18" subwoofer ported/tuned to 15hz is exceptional and a couple of these units are all that is necessary for a front wall subwoofer in almost any circumstance. Those who step above that are the most avid of enthusiasts.

On a concrete slab the only way the lowest stuff (<~ 15hz) begins to matter is nearfield, and I mean a subwoofer driver cone pretty much needs to be right up against the back of your theater chair to make any discenrable difference. It's a goal not worth pursuit unless you just desire to have an absolutely overkill system that will get you funny looks from your friends and family. Folks trying to pursue subsonic ULF content with a single 12" or 15" or even 18" sealed driver are not going to meet their goal. Most rooms will need four sealed 18"s or even eight sealed 15"s or 18"s to even begin to feel anything perceivable in the subsonic ULF arena. That's my experience.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
Woah woah! I'm not pulling anything out of my ceiling - just dreaming up the ULF set for my basement. Im done with this room. Send me to the looney bin if I talk about ripping apart walls in there. The G-horns I have now which are shown in this thread are in the ceiling of my main floor living room over a suspended floor. I absolutely love everything about them and wouldn't change a thing if I could do it again. I'm pretty sure they extend deep enough for me - I have never felt like I'm missing out on any ULF content. Reproducing the same response in the basement ht would be easier since the space is smaller but repeating the feeling in the basement has me worried. I really enjoy the tactile feel now so I'm in agreement with Archaea with using near field subs for the tactile feel or going with Crowsons. I like the Crowsons idea since I want to make the most out of the limited space down there. I wonder too if 13hz down response is worth chasing down the rabbit hole.

I will have 160 cubes of space to use that will be hiding behind a screen wall for subs alone, so there is room for a whole lot of awesome. I'm a good year away at least from buying anything so there's plenty of time to figure it out.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Woah woah! I'm not pulling anything out of my ceiling - just dreaming up the ULF set for my basement. Im done with this room. Send me to the looney bin if I talk about ripping apart walls in there. The G-horns I have now which are shown in this thread are in the ceiling of my main floor living room over a suspended floor. I absolutely love everything about them and wouldn't change a thing if I could do it again. I'm pretty sure they extend deep enough for me - I have never felt like I'm missing out on any ULF content.
Well then...Outstanding.

Reproducing the same response in the basement ht would be easier since the space is smaller but repeating the feeling in the basement has me worried. I really enjoy the tactile feel now so I'm in agreement with Archaea with using near field subs for the tactile feel or going with Crowsons. I like the Crowsons idea since I want to make the most out of the limited space down there. I wonder too if 13hz down response is worth chasing down the rabbit hole.
Back when I had my sealed setup, the most played track on my phone was.... a 14Hz test tone. Next most played track was Pendulum -
. :cool:

Spending a rather intimate amount of time with frequencies below 20Hz, I felt 14Hz was my "line in the sand" when it came down to separating the audible from the tactical. So yeah, I think 13Hz is a good goal if not a great deal of output is traded to get there...I think @notnyt has the perfect tune with his LMS-U's... I wish I could go a bit lower, for my current build, but no matter how I sim'd it, the cost for admission just wasn't worth it...to me.

I will have 160 cubes of space to use that will be hiding behind a screen wall for subs alone, so there is room for a whole lot of awesome.
Hummmm... So, I don't know the layout, but you could fit four (4) G-Horns (UXL loaded to save money?) and two (2) Othorns within 160ft^3... Of course the SI24 is always on the radar and I think Nick may still be giving AVS members special pricing... <---Don't quote me on that, also not sure if that would be the case when you're ready to build. I'm sure @Ricci has been mega busy over the past few months, but I can't wait to see how the 24 tested...

I'm a good year away at least from buying anything so there's plenty of time to figure it out.
Only a year out?!?!?! Man, sound like time to start another thread.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Of course the SI24 is always on the radar... <--- I'm sure @Ricci has been mega busy over the past few months, but I can't wait to see how the 24 tested...
Man I haven't heard a peep from Nick in a few months. Nothing...Last I heard he was working on getting me either a box or a flat pack but then things just hung there...Hope the guy is OK at least.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Well then...Outstanding.

Hummmm... So, I don't know the layout, but you could fit four (4) G-Horns (UXL loaded to save money?) and two (2) Othorns within 160ft^3... Of course the SI24 is always on the radar and I think Nick may still be giving AVS members special pricing... <---Don't quote me on that, also not sure if that would be the case when you're ready to build. I'm sure @Ricci has been mega busy over the past few months, but I can't wait to see how the 24 tested...

Only a year out?!?!?! Man, sound like time to start another thread.

I was thinking the same with trying the UXL and using the Othorn. I could sell the T48s and drag the Othorns out for the very few times a year I DJ parties. So many options...

I started a thread in the Dedicated Rooms area, but have been slacking on any updates there. I planned on working on it today but it sounds like more fun heading over to Archaea's house to get ready for the GTG tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Man I haven't heard a peep from Nick in a few months. Nothing...Last I heard he was working on getting me either a box or a flat pack but then things just hung there...Hope the guy is OK at least.

Yes, hopefully he's keeping busy shipping out subs and feeling ok.

·
Registered
67 Posts
OMG! the before after pics are amazing, your skills are amazing, and your lounge looks fantastic. not to mention I am sure you have just increased the value of your home a substantial amount! :)

I read you are working on your basement now for the HT? when will you send in the first pics of the before shot?

judging by your carpentry skills, I am sure everyone is frothing at the mouth with envy knowing you will do an amazing job.

god, I cant even build a bird house LOL

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #149

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Hats off you sir, that is pretty special.
Thank you!

Love your room its gorgeous! If you don't mind me asking which brand/type of paint/code did you use?
Thanks! This one is for the dark blue front wall, which I am very happy with. I have never spent so much on a single gallon of paint. I was sick to my stomach when they rang it up. It was only two coats over white PVA primer, which is impressive. It's easy to wipe off grubby little kid fingerprints off with a wet sponge too - awesome! Benjamin Moore Aura Matte finish, Old Navy 2063-10

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
I'm getting ready to go pick up a Global Cache GC100 - 18 from a local KC AVSer in a few minutes. Wish me luck getting my IR devices connected with iRule, I need it. I'm not what one would refer to as (I'm using finger quotes here) "tech savvy," or as some would say, "smart"...

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
Wow, what a ride... Today I finally have a functioning remote built using iRule. It allows you to control pretty much anything using a smart-device. Each of our family is able to use their iPhone 6, and an iPad Air that I have not yet integrated. I have a little over 30 hours in it, 10 of them being a complete waste of time. @Gator99 was so generous of his knowledge to point me in the right direction up get this thing rolling and I will be forever grateful. iRule puts all remotes into one handset (the iPhone) in a display that I design using the functions that I like to use. It's awesome. So far I have my BD player, AT&T Uverse, Onkyo 818 avr, Vizeo LCD TV, Net Radio with Spotify and Pandora, and all Insteon switches, lights, and outlets controlled. I've just found the tip of the iceberg with this.

Of course I've just found a snag: my internet is being feisty tonight for one of the first times ever, so it's not working at all now right when I'm really wanting to use it!

Here's some of my basic remote shots:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416987380.924799.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416987392.046015.jpg

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Thats pretty sweet. You might have to give me a tour next time I'm over. I am looking at remotes right now because I am so fed up with mine.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Thats pretty sweet. You might have to give me a tour next time I'm over. I am looking at remotes right now because I am so fed up with mine.

I'm extremely happy with it and you are welcome any time.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Doug, this transformation was one of the best I've seen and very inspirational. I absolutely love how you integrated the G-horns...makes me wish I had an excuse to install them the same way just to have those huge abyss-of-ports staring down. Excellent design and craftmanship on everything!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Doug, this transformation was one of the best I've seen and very inspirational. I absolutely love how you integrated the G-horns...makes me wish I had an excuse to install them the same way just to have those huge abyss-of-ports staring down. Excellent design and craftmanship on everything!
Thank you!! I do love laying on the couch and looking up at those menacing drivers staring back down at me

141 - 160 of 230 Posts