AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am considering the move to Blu Ray and getting a new pre/pro to take advantage of the new audio codecs. However I only have component cabling in my house and cannot get HDMI to my plasma. Is it possible to connect the player to the pre/pro (I am looking at the NAD M15HD or the Outlaw 887) via HDMI, and the either route video by component, or down convert the HDMI video to component on these processors?

I know that these pre/pros are supposed to up convert analog to HDMI, but wondered whether the can down convert HDMI to component.

Thanks.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppotter /forum/post/17042568

Hi,

I am considering the move to Blu Ray and getting a new pre/pro to take advantage of the new audio codecs. However I only have component cabling in my house and cannot get HDMI to my plasma. Is it possible to connect the player to the pre/pro (I am looking at the NAD M15HD or the Outlaw 887) via HDMI, and the either route video by component, or down convert the HDMI video to component on these processors?

I know that these pre/pros are supposed to up convert analog to HDMI, but wondered whether the can down convert HDMI to component.

Thanks.

Can you connect component from the player directly to the display?

The only issue with HDMI to the receiver is that I have heard that some don't function well if not connected to a display. Handshaking issues. You might check the threads for the specific models to see what owners say about that.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Not sure, but I suppose you could get a Blu Ray player with analog audio outputs and run them to your pre/pro along with the component video output from the player.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnFR,

I had thought that this would the easy way to go, but I do not believe that Dolby TruHD or DTS Master Audio can be sent by analog or even digital coax. Do they not require HDMI for transmission to the pre/pro?

Thanks

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppotter /forum/post/17042694

JohnFR,

I had thought that this would the easy way to go, but I do not believe that Dolby TruHD or DTS Master Audio can be sent by analog or even digital coax. Do they not require HDMI for transmission to the pre/pro?

Thanks

HDMI or 5.1/7.1 analog.

-Bill

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
Processors will not convert HDMI to component output because of digital rights management. That would create a big hole in copy protection schemes, which were the primary driver behind the development of HDMI in the first place. If a processor outputs component from an HDMI input, it will almost certainly be limited to 480p.

So, if you want to use HDMI for audio, you need to run component video from the player directly to the display. Make sure the player supports simultaneous HD outputs over both connections. That's not always the case.

HDMI is not required for lossless audio. You can have the player do the decoding and the digital-analog conversion and use multichannel analog connections to the processor. It's the same lossless audio, just processed in the player instead of the prepro.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll just have to resort to the 6 or so analog cables from the player to the pre/pro.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Take a look at the HDFury2...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Take a look at the HDFury2... not sure if it does EXACTLY what you want...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I guess the obvious question is: If your house is already wired with component, can't you run HDMI through the existing conduit? Or tape the HDMI cable to the component cables and yank it through?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts