AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install some down lighting sconces in my HT on the walls at about a foot off the floor. I plan on putting these on a dimmer to provide soft floor lighting at some key locations. So far I cannot find any lighting fixtures that fit the bill without lighting upwards as well.

Anybody seen any sconces like this?

Thanks,

Jim Korns

·
Registered
366 Posts
Something sticking out from the wall at one foot off the floor is a good target for getting kicked. I'd look into getting something recessed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I installed several "step lights" to light the path from the Theatre to the "facilities". They are more functional than decorative though.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Here's a really nice home made option. You'll have to bare with me since this is a little out of the box.

First of all, you've all seen the half round door stops that mount to the floor. These are brass, and look like little Greek ampitheaters. They screw into the floor and prevent a door from hitting a wall as it's opened.. This little animal is ablout 2 1/2" across, and has a rubber bumper in it to cushion the door. Many manufacturers make them, and they are available in any hardware store.

It would help if you had one in your hand as I describe this, but if you take a pair of pliers and pull out the rummer stopper in this thing, you'll find there's a lot of room in there. You can now imagine putting this hollow, 1/2 hemisphere on your wall, down low, with a light in it. It casts a very nice downlight, looks great from the top, and is very durable if bumped up against.

Next step. Get a light in there. I took those under cabinet "hockey pucks" that are available everywhere also. I took the puck apart and fashioned the low voltage bulb and its small reflector into the brass hemisphere. It's wired to my Grafik Eye light controller.

All connections were done with wire nuts and in electrical boxes behind the drywall.

You can use where steps are in the raised seating, on the columns and aisle lights, or by the exit door.

Ted

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ted,

I like that idea! I have no problem with the DIY approach to building things in my HT. Adds that personal unique touch. I can see putting in several of these all attached to a remote dimmer.

Thanks for the response,

Jim

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
You could try going with a 12 volt system?

Malibu Lights

Don't know if this type can be Dimmed ??

The Louvered style would be nice in a HT Room.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Ted,

That's the stuff that makes this forum great!

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I can tell ya these were cheap, but they look great in my opinion. Very "theater-like" and appropriate. Not a comprimise in the least.

I should get a picture out there for you to take a peek at.

Ted

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ted,

I would love a photo if you can manage it.

It definitely is something that I think I will tackle. Thanks for the help.

Did the lights you used come with incandescent or

halogen light bulbs? I think I have seen both kinds.

Jim

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
These were Halogen.

Ted

·
Registered
631 Posts
I am going the deck light way also. I bought 12 of them and I am wiring them to a dimmer. Mine are 110v small base non-halogen bulbs. I am mounting them about 18inches up the wall. We played with rope light under a chair rail and we liked this better.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
With regard to wall mounted down and path lighting. You can buy a small fixture that goes into a standard metal single gang wall box. It consists of a louvered electrical plate with a small 4watt 110V bulb in a socket mounted inside the box. The lamp could be dimmed. The plates are available with the louvers made for vertical or horizontal mounting. This is a standard item at the electrical supply houses.

On the home made side the fixture Ted describes sounds a lot like the lamps I used for path lighting on our last homes deck. They were 12v DC vehicle marker lamps, a license plate lamp I believe.

Jim Mc

"The Stargate"

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...&sp=1&vt=vpall

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hey, Ted - great idea...so how goes the HT? Are you almost ready for that Michigan HT tour?? And most importantly - where are the pictures?

Jim Mc - Are you also in for a Michigan HT tour?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.