AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had recently posted a thread about my 46" XBR4 going on the fritz. It sounds as if it's a panel issue, and thankfully, Sony has extended the warranty on the panel until 2012 on my model. I am very grateful of this and I hope it solves my problem with the horizontal lines and the right side of the display flickering/fluttering, but I am still down on Sony....maybe for good. I have always tried to purchase Sony when in the market for a new piece of electronics, but a lot of the Sony products I have in my home are giving me problems. I have an RDR-VX515 DVD/VCR combo that is less than 4 years old that is beginning to show signs of trouble(won't play burnt movies that it previously would) and a DVP-S360 DVD player(C:13:00 error that keeps coming up this unit is nearly 10 years old, so I'm not too upset about this one). I have followed Sony's troubleshooting steps and I handle my equipment with care. I realize I don't always buy Sony's top-end models, but it seems like the older Sony stuff always lasted longer.

I will say, the lady at the local repair center that is helping me with my TV repair believes that no electronics company (especially TVs) is superior these days, as the models change so often that the QC is lacking horribly. I don't know how much truth there is in this, but it certainly seems plausible. Just on man's two cents.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i usually buy sony on blind faith and have done so for 20+ years, walkmans, discmans, mp3 players, stereos, tvs, all 3 playstations, and just bought a bravia (but havent hooked it up yet.) ive never had a problem with any of their products and pretty much equate the sony name with high quality and good design. hopefully their quality doesnt start to suffer across the board because i wont be able to do that anymore.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Well, here's my two cents...

I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything made by Sony. Sure, they've had some problems, but overall, you can put Sony and Samsung at the top of the heap and everyone else is fighting for 2nd best (or 3rd, if you prefer).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I noticed Sony starting to suffer from either quality in build or just poor design (or both) about 25 years ago.

In the last couple of decades I have noticed that their products have gotten worse and worse, hitting a low with the last of the CRTs that they came out with. I have seen issues with every thing from stereo equipment to portable phones and TVs. I know of at least one local stereo shop that quit selling Sony products because as they said "50% of what we sell comes back within 6 months for warranty repair".

Just in the last 3-4 years they have stated to reverse that trend and have started putting more care into their products.

I spend allot of time with coworkers from Japan and they have a joke about a "Sony Timer". Basically whatever Sony product you buy will break shortly after the warranty is up.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG /forum/post/18281350

I noticed Sony starting to suffer from either quality in build or just poor design (or both) about 25 years ago.

In the last couple of decades I have noticed that their products have gotten worse and worse, hitting a low with the last of the CRTs that they came out with. I have seen issues with every thing from stereo equipment to portable phones and TVs. I know of at least one local stereo shop that quit selling Sony products because as they said "50% of what we sell comes back within 6 months for warranty repair".

Just in the last 3-4 years they have stated to reverse that trend and have started putting more care into their products.

I spend allot of time with coworkers from Japan and they have a joke about a "Sony Timer". Basically whatever Sony product you buy will break shortly after the warranty is up.

Oh...great! Another Sony (or Samsung or Vizio or....put name in here) crapping thread.

I currently own a Sony CRT that is 20 years old.....still going strong......a Sony KV-34XBR800....used everyday............I don't buy the above at all.

This is a useless thread.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:

Well, I do hope they start to get their act back together. I know the economy in Japan was dismal to say the least in the 90s and most of the 00s, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Either way, I have bought a ton of their stuff over the years and would prefer to keep it that way for the most part. I did buy a Pany Blu-Ray and a Toshiba LCD (I think 27") from Best Buy about 6 months ago and have been pleased with them thus far.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/18281473

Oh...great! Another Sony (or Samsung or Vizio or....put name in here) crapping thread.

I currently own a Sony CRT that is 20 years old.....still going strong......a Sony KV-34XBR800....used everyday............I don't buy the above at all.

This is a useless thread.

Well, you can buy or not buy whatever you want. I'm simply stating my recent experiences with Sony. If you're a Sony apologist, so be it. I would prefer to continue buying Sony products, but when they drop the ball, I'm going to call them on it.

·
Registered
856 Posts
There was a time when having the SONY name on your TV meant something special. That time is long past. Today the Sony name represents a company that is struggling to survive.

Worldwide market share of flat-panel TVs among major manufacturers.

Samsung -- 17.2%

LG -- 14.8%

Panasonic -- 6.9%

TCL Electronics -- 6.6%

Sony -- 5.9%

Things are so bad for Sony, they even lag behind TCL Electronics.

It would be even worse if they hadn't started increasing their low-end sales at Walmart and other discount retailers. Sony is one step away from becoming known as the 'Walmart' brand. While that title would be a good thing for a small electronics company specializing in low-cost units, it's nothing short of a horrible tragedy for a company that once dominated the television market.

Sad but true.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Perhaps it's not a huge profit gain, however, you must be blind to not notice that a company who still has a market is still rather 'successful'.

Having the largest market share and profit margin isn't one way of thinking of one as being a successful company.

Sony is not just a television manufacturing company too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy nightmares /forum/post/18281551

There was a time when having the SONY name on your TV meant something special. That time is long past. Today the Sony name represents a company that is struggling to survive.

Worldwide market share of flat-panel TVs among major manufacturers.

Samsung -- 17.2%

LG -- 14.8%

Panasonic -- 6.9%

TCL Electronics -- 6.6%

Sony -- 5.9%

Things are so bad for Sony, they even lag behind TCL Electronics.

It would be even worse if they hadn't started increasing their low-end sales at Walmart and other discount retailers. Sony is one step away from becoming known as the 'Walmart' brand. While that title would be a good thing for a small electronics company specializing in low-cost units, it's nothing short of a horrible tragedy for a company that once dominated the television market.

Sad but true.

Where did things go wrong for them other than what appears to be a total disregard for QC? I am upset, but like I said, I am willing to give them another chance. Fixing my TV will do a lot to make me forget.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJon /forum/post/18281518

Well, you can buy or not buy whatever you want. I'm simply stating my recent experiences with Sony. If you're a Sony apologist, so be it. I would prefer to continue buying Sony products, but when they drop the ball, I'm going to call them on it.

I don't think he's a Sony apologist, I think you've just started a useless bashing thread in a technical forum. What, you couldn't post this in your existing thread???

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18282100

I don't think he's a Sony apologist, I think you've just started a useless bashing thread in a technical forum. What, you couldn't post this in your existing thread???

You're way off base. I have a less than 2 year-old, $2,300 TV set that is not working the way it should. I have two other Sony products in my home that are not working right (however, I will give Sony the benefit of the doubt on one since it's nearly 10 years old). I can remember as an 8 or 9 year-old having a Walkman that lasted so long, tapes were out of style when I finally threw it away in perfectly good working condition. The way I see, their quality has taken a dip. Now, if you'd carefully read my previous posts you'd have seen nowhere I've bashed (as you've put it) Sony. To go a step further, I have also stated I am willing to give Sony another shot. Now, pull your head out of your ass and read carefully next time.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Sony does have one of the better quality control among other manufacturers, and one of the best customer service.

Your really much better off with them. The new Sony televisions apparently come standard with a 3 year warranty... can't beat that!

·
Registered
3,822 Posts

Quote:

Well, nice to see someone around here has their eyes open.

As for me, I have a couple of beautifully designed Sony shortwave radios (including the SW1), both have severe distortion from the speakers, bad caps. I had a portable LCD TV that crapped out after a few years. Sony professional S-VHS with an input not functional. An expensive old boom box with a broken CD player. Their DVD players have served me well, but the bluray s350 is so slow, my new Panasonics (DMP-BD85K) kill it in every way (responsive, far better search, far faster load time, etc) except the PQ, both are good.

Their stuff can look good when you buy it, but buyer beware, look elsewhere.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk.secret23 /forum/post/18282810

The new Sony televisions apparently come standard with a 3 year warranty... can't beat that!

No they don't....it's 1 year

3 years if you buy from a place like Costco.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I went looking for a TV 4 years ago, along with a DVD player and surround receiver, Sony was one of the brands I avoided. I've had too much Sony stuff die prematurely. I'm done with them for the near future, at least. I've had great luck with Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Toshiba, Sharp, Yamaha, JVC, and Onkyo. I can get anything I need for home theatre from those brands, except for speakers.

I have a bunch of Panasonic/Technics stereo stuff that's pushing 40 years old, still looks and works great. None of the Sony stuff from around the same time made it into the 90's, it all died. My last surround receiver was a midrange Sony that blew up when it was about 3 years old. I tossed it and bought a Yamaha. I recently sold my 1982 vintage Yamaha stereo receiver to a guy in Australia. It still worked and looked great. The 1990 or so Sony I had looked old in 5 years(the black paint on the front panel started wearing through where my fingers touched the volume control) , and before it was seven, the tuner was dead. When the left channel got intermittent, it went out for the trash pickers. I looked inside a recent model Sony receiver, and was not impressed.

They seem to have totally lost their way, so I pass them by.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
this thread is pointless sony makes fine products and aside from some DVD player failures (very common with many brand DVD players btw) in the past 10 years i've never had a Sony die on me yet.

if you researched into TV's made by the major manufactures you could actually find more reason to hate Samsung than any other TV maker today, when they have a terrible defect like putting the wrong value capacitors in many of their LCD TV's thus making them a ticking time bomb for breaking down as they did with 2007 and possibly 2008 model's you'd think they would extend warranties and take care of customers but from what i've read its never happened and people are SOL without an extended warranty

in sony's defense i've seen multiple people come on these forums with a story of how their Sony LCD TV failed out of warranty for an uncommon reason and Sony offers them heavy discounts on buying a newer comparable model well below retail prices to keep them happy even though they have no legal obligation to do so. that is top notch customer service for an electronics company right there, samsung and many others would say sorry

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'll bite.

I've owned many Sony products over the last 20 years or so, and for the most part we've enjoyed their products. That said, seems that I've run into a spate of bad luck the past 5 years or so, especially wherein Sony is concerned.

Hopped into the HDTV craze and bought a LCoS Sony XBR1 (think it was 6-7 years ago?), which was around $4,000 at the time. For me, that was a major purchase at the time. Loved it for a year or so, but then problems started to occur. This rear-projection television gave me nothing but headaches - green blobs, then two changed optical blocks. Not a very good experience, but I have to give them kudos as they fixed the problems and my parents are actually still using this display in one of their living rooms. Bad experience from a buyer standpoint, but a great experience with their customer service getting it fixed and in a timely manner.

Next, we move onto the PS3. I didn't get the YLOD, but it was either a mechanic in the disc drive or the laser went bottom up. Still not sure which, but I voided the warranty and opened her up, cleaned the laser, what little dust was inside, etc. No luck, and I basically washed my hands with it (this unit is out of warranty mind you - happened after owning it after a year and a half 40GB version, with a 500GB HDD). It still reads no discs whatsoever and was very frustrating. I might still buy a laser, or just use it as a backup web browser. Honestly though, I'd just rather bury it.

What does the above prove? Absolutely nothing. In my opinion, it's just bad luck and a combination of poor quality control from Sony in certain instances. Funny enough, we have a Sony 46" XBR4 right now and it's still running flawlessly. I really do love this TV, and hope that it continues to shine despite my bad luck with some of their products in recent years. Oddly enough, my wife was the one who bought our XBR4, so it seems her rabbit foot has a bit more magic than yours truly. Basically, it's just a crap shoot these days with ANY manufacturer - I honestly believe that. I've had Samsung monitor and TV issues, LG television crap out, et cetera.

Those of us that have issues are generally in the minority, statistically speaking. Other cases of manufacturer design error or oversights are a different animal altogether. If you were to ask me right now what TV brands that I'd recommend, without hesitation I'd say Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, and Panasonic. Those four brands have treated me well, with some occasional hiccups along the way. With the blazing trail of technology these days, I just hope for the best and understand that no company is infallible - such is the nature of the beast. You have to pay to play, and it's better than being stuck on the sidelines or on the outside looking in. It's all about perspective.

Good luck, I hope that you get the issues with your HDTV worked out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's a shame there are Sony disciples out there that would expect those of us having problems just sit on our asses and let it slide. Sorry, I'm not built that way. Quality and CS have gone by the wayside in this country and its return is long overdue. I've heard the line 'We live in a disposable age.' My ass we do when we drop $2000 on a TV and it craps out in less than 2 years. If this were a Samsung or Toshiba I would have called them out too.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts