AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying my first projector and have narrowed my search down to 2.

My room is 13' wide by 22' long.

Screen size approx 100"(not built yet)

I plan on mounting projector on ceiling about 12' - 15' feet from screen.

First row of seats 15' - 18' second row 19' -21'

Projector use: HDTV and SDtv sporting events, Movies DVD and Blu-ray (don't have player yet was thinking of getting PS3),

Wii and PS2.

I am a newbie I may be wrong about some of my pros and cons I list with each projector so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Epson HC720

Price $1150 after rebates.

Comes with either a ceiling mount and dust cover ($150) + extra lamp ($349)

Or a Toshiba Digital 1080i HDTV-Ready DVD Player (refurbished) + extra lamp ($349).

Has higher lumens 1600 vs. benq 1100

Higher contrast 10000:1

2 yr warranty

Does not except 1080p input (not sure how big of a deal that is for Blu-ray)

Does not have HQV again not sure if that is a big deal. I have not seen reviews on standard definition picture quality for the HC720

BenQ W500:

Price $699 after rebate.

If I were to buy ceiling mount and bulb the BenQ would cost $1100

Has HQV - displays Standard definition well.

Heard it does well with upward conversion of 480P to 720P (Wii).

Accepts 1080P video input (BD player).

So I guess my question is BenQ W500 or HC720?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just read the whole Benq W500 thread and now reading the HC720 thread.

Anyone have an opinion on which is better?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The 720 is brighter, has better contrast, and a longer zoom. The w500 has a better upscaler and costs less. Only you can decide.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Wait a sec, the 720 can't accept 1080p 60hz or 24hz?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/12920582

Wait a sec, the 720 can't accept 1080p 60hz or 24hz?

The spec sheet doesnt have 1080p listed but it does actually work. It cant do 1080/24 however.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry, newbie questions here but how does it do 1080p at 60hz? what would be the difference between this and a true 1080p projector then? The true 1080p does it at a higher frequency? what's the diff between 60 and 24?

If I play a 1080p movie through my computer, would it give me 1080p at 60hz automatically?

I really want to pull the trigger on this but would appreciate some additonal info.

thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javguy /forum/post/13044607

Sorry, newbie questions here but how does it do 1080p at 60hz? what would be the difference between this and a true 1080p projector then? The true 1080p does it at a higher frequency? what's the diff between 60 and 24?

If I play a 1080p movie through my computer, would it give me 1080p at 60hz automatically?

I really want to pull the trigger on this but would appreciate some additonal info.

thanks.

The difference is it will accept 1080P and then downconvert it to 720P. Its still only a 1280x720 Projector.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Keep seeing references to a rebate on the Benq W500. Is that over? I can't find any references to one at the major retailers...

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgw599 /forum/post/12912633

If I were to buy ceiling mount and bulb the BenQ would cost $1100

Dude - bulbs come with all new PJs... unless you're buying from a scam artist. Please do yourself a huge favor and look at the stores rating on resellerratings.com.

I bet you're dealing with a camera store based in Brooklyn.

have a look at a reputable store's price... one good price that comes to mind is from a store that rhymes with legg. PM me if you're still mystified.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zizou,

I should have been more specific.

If I were to buy ceiling mount and a spare bulb the Benq would cost $1100.

the epson rebate includes an extra bulb

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ah that makes sense!

Also have a look at the infocus 7210 - great specs, DLP, Carl Zeiss optics, but no lens shift.

Also the Sanyo plv-z2000 is about 1600 after 2*$300 rebates (from a forum sponsor). Epson 720 at a forum sponsor has a free bulb plus cash rebates. Works out good!

Don't ignore the acer ph530, optoma hd32 (hd70 clone, but super el cheapo).

I would choose between, actually I am deciding on one of the:

Benq w500, In 7210, or Epson 720.

Maaaaybe (stretching it) the sanyo plv-z2000, or being super cheap - the acer ph 530 or optoma hd32.

·
Registered
889 Posts
For what it's worth, I looked at the HD70, HD65, Epson 720, and Benq W500.

The rainbow effect on the HD65 was too much for my eyes...returned.

The high offset of the HD70 was too much for my neck...skipped.

The Epson 720 was too much for my wallet...skipped.

The Benq was $870, had cheap bulbs, fantastic video processing (HQV), and lens shift. I could accept the dimished shadow detail for those advantages and went with it.

Should be showing up at my door in the next few days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up going with the Epson HC 720. I got it yesterday. I am very happy with my choice. I liked the EPSON warranty, the overnight shipping of a replacment projector if I have a problem. Free bulb, large zoom, ECT...

I am sure Benq w500, In 7210, or Epson 720 will all be good choices.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgw599 /forum/post/13055368

I ended up going with the Epson HC 720. I got it yesterday. I am very happy with my choice. I liked the EPSON warranty, the overnight shipping of a replacment projector if I have a problem. Free bulb, large zoom, ECT...

I'm glad to see that you were decisive and went ahead to make the purchase. I've been reading and researching a year and am only now starting to get serious - my wife saw her first pj a few weeks ago

Hope you enjoy the EP720 - I'm liking the look of that deal, bulb etc!

·
Registered
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgw599 /forum/post/13055368

Yeah, the zoom is KILLER on that Epson. I remember the projection calculator letting put that sucker something like 20 ft. back from my screen!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've seen both in a controlled environment. It's no contest, the HC720 is a much better projector than the w500. Better contrast, better color, much better blacks, much quieter, more lens shift.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvideo /forum/post/13058929

I've seen both in a controlled environment. It's no contest, the HC720 is a much better projector than the w500. Better contrast, better color, much better blacks, much quieter, more lens shift.

I've owned both and now own the Epson. That is true. The Espon also has MUCH MUCH better build quality and faster operation, from HDMi syncing to power on and off. The W500 takes 3 minutes to power down vs 30 for the Epson. However, let's point out the Benq strength. The W500 is much superior in 1080i and 480 handling. So if you watch a lot of SD content, take notice. Also, if you have a PC and have lots of 1080p HD movies stored, the BenQ is a good choice.

If the Epson 720 had HQV technology, this would be hands down the best 720p projector under $3000.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'll agree that the W500 has better scaling for interlaced and 480 signal, but in a most cases that's not primary since most watching will be 720p. Pretty much every source I throw at it is 720p or 1080p, and I think that's the case with most people buying a 720p projector. Even if the primary use is regular dvd's all that's needed is a good upscaling dvd player, which can be found relatively cheap nowadays. I guess I am sort of jaded as I was disapointed with the W500, I felt even my HD70 easily outclassed it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This thread is killing me. I literally had my finger poised to order the W500, but dvdvideo has me re-thinking.

It's basically bulb life/cost that's got me leaning towards the W500.

Klover -- I'd love to hear an update on first impressions when you get yours.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensibull /forum/post/13064539

This thread is killing me. I literally had my finger poised to order the W500, but dvdvideo has me re-thinking.

It's basically bulb life/cost that's got me leaning towards the W500.

Klover -- I'd love to hear an update on first impressions when you get yours.

You get a free bulb with the 720. I don't see what the issue is. Let's say that you watch a lot of SD channels on your cable box, then I can see the reasoning for the W500.

I have owned the W500. You can check out the W500 thread and see my stamps all over it. I had one from Aug - Jan. I know that projector in and out. The Epson 720 is better in every way with noticable improvement - except for the scaler. The W500 HQV scaler blows the Epson's scaler out of the water. It's not even a contest. However, if your receiver has a nice scaler, or you have a PS3 for DVD and Blu-ray viewing, it's a non-issue.

Having said that, the Epson's processor is still better than most DLP processors. It is leauges ahead of the Mitsubishi HD1000U scaler from the 1 month I owned the DLP (I see rainbows).

If you're sending a 720p feed to the Epson, you're good to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts