AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The saga (picking a screen for the 10HT) continues..

After a lot of posts, and talking to a lot of experts, we still have conflicting opinions on a good screen for the 10HT..

Here's the net net for those interested and/or willing to help sort thru the fog..

- DA-LITE Hi-Power would be my #1 choice if I could table-mount (vs. ceiling-mount the projector). BUT - this would be difficult if not impossible due to room layout as I'd have to move my seating back even further than it is already spec'd to do this. (As my wife has already commented on my need for 22' for dedicated HT space, this is probably not an option!) Ceiling mounting for the 10HT is reportedly not nearly as good with this screen as gain drops from about 2.8 to about 1.5. (Still good, but will DVDs have that "punch" to them that Bill Cushman, Don Munsil & others report, or will the Stewart options be better?)

- Stewart Greyhawk: a lot of good "buzz" about this product, but the net net seems to be that it achieves better contrast by lowering black levels. I'm afraid this will give me a "dimmer" picture - which will not be acceptable. (I don't care about "black blacks" but instead want good, "crisp" colors - as good as one can get w/LCD!) I've run the foot-lambert calcs on this, and I believe it comes to around 21 with the Greyhawk - not horrible, but not as good as the 50+ I'd get with the High-Power.

- Stewart StudioTek 130: seems like a good choice with a 1.3 gain and the Stewart name (tho not the price!), but the pictures I've seen on user HT Web pages all look "grainy" and - well, like something off a screen 5 or 10 years old. However, this screen has a great reputation and I'd probably pick this one as a "compromise" for my ceiling-mount if I could just see it somewhere with a 10HT.

Which takes me to the main problem..I've been unable to see the 10HT on ANY of these in the Detroit area, so all I have to go off of is people's opinons - which all pretty much conflict with each other (urgh!).

I've ordered samples from Da-Lite & Stewart, but I truly have no idea how a 2'' or 6'' piece of fabric is gonna help me.

Any ideas? I'm pretty much stuck @ this point.

Thanks for all of the continued help. I'm getting ready to buy, but want to know what the heck to buy without making a major mistake on one or the other of all these components..

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
When I went to see Don Stewart's 10HT at Stewart Filmscreen, Don showed me the 10HT on a GrayHawk. Then he held up a piece of Studio Tech 130 material in front of the GrayHawk while the picture was running. The black levels declined noticeably, and the picture did not seem as vibrant on the GreyHawk. I also thought the 10HT was plenty bright enough on the GrayHawk if you have control of ambient light. Anyway, you might want to get Don Stewart's advice before you chosse the Studio Tech 130 over the GrayHawk.

·
Banned
299 Posts
I have my 10HT ceiling mounted for 14 months. I have tried several screens. The Stewart Grayhawk is the very best. Looking at 6" pieces of screen cloth is insane.

Don't worry about your perceived idea of a darker picture with the Greyhawk. The colors actually seem brighter than before...

I haven't read a post from a Greyhawk owner on any forum that was negative with a DLP or LCD projector? I bit! I'm very happy!

Good Luck....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys..I did indeed email Don Stewart to get his opinion and am interested in what he has to say on things..(Don - if you're reading this, plz check your email!)

I agree - trying to look @ 6'' pieces of screen materials is NUTS!

Jim

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Smitty - did you typo when you said "the picture did not seem as Vibrant on the Greyhawk"?

The way you wrote the rest of the reply, it almost seems like you were probably going to write "the picture on the Studiotek 130 did not seem as Vibrant as it did on the Greyhawk"..

Or am I just confused (like always?)

Jim

·
Registered
423 Posts
With the higain screen the image will still be bright if you ceiling mount the projector. However, the screen will also light up your ceiling unless you either have a long projector drop from a cathedral ceiling, paint your ceiling black, or otherwise mask it in front of the screen.

I'd consider a Dalite model b manual pull down in matt white. It would be very inexpensive, and could even be considered temporary while you research other screens.

The Greyhawk sounds nice, but too costly to buy sight unseen, especially if you are unable to fully control ambient lighting.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Jim, you got it right, I meant to say that the picture on the Studio Tech 130 did not seem as vibrant "as it did on the GrayHawk." Geez, I'm a big help, huh. Anyway, I agree with what Laredo said. I have never heard anybody state they were dissatisfied with a DLP or LCD on a GrayHawk, and I think that it's even a clearer case with the LCD's, as they seem to be brighter than the DLP's.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am using a Da-lite hipower with 2 DLP projectors - one floor mounted and one ceiling mounted. I think the reason this screen material works so well for me in both situations is that both projectors throw the image at quite an angle (about 17 or 18 degrees). For example, the floor mounted projector is about 1 inch off the floor and the 4:3 screen is set about one foot above the floor. For a 16:9 image the distance of the bottom of the image from the floor is about chin level when seated. I am not losing any screen gain from either projector - if you watch the screen from the lens level and then compare the picture to what you see from your seated position you'll either notice a drop in brightness or not.

The Da-lite material is relatively inexpensive and has huge "punch" good blacks and contrast compared to other screens I have owned or demoed.

If you have a problem with ceiling mounting the projector and retaining the gain then why not build a "cage" for the projector and suspend it from the ceiling behind your seated position and just above head level? You can set it up so that it can be unhooked and removed when not viewing.

The Grayhawk will probably work well for your LCD projector, but I would want to demo it and a/b it with the Hipower before committing to something that expensive.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.