AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rented it over the weekend. I don't have time for a full review, but I just wanted to say it was a very, very good movie. If you are into WWII history and don't mind subtitles I highly recommend it.

As for the DVD, it was top notch reference quality picture and sound. The sound is Dolby Digital 5.1 and very active LFE channel and surrounds. Very deep bass in a lot of the movie has you are deep in the bunker and Berlin gets hammered above. This will be a good sub demo DVD.

Funny thing is, this title was released on 8/02/05 and I haven't seen it in the stores at all, I had to rent it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Recommended. I guess the historical accuracy is dependant on the secretary's account. Interesting stuff, particularly Hitler's views on the German public.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I received Downfall last week and just got around to watching it last night. I will agree it is a very good movie. Two big thumbs up here. I started watching it late in the evening thinking I would probably get to a good breaking point and watch the rest tonight. It was so involving I ended up staying up too late and watching the entire thing.

I had seen complaints that it took a sympathetic view on Hitler but I couldn't disagree more. It showed exactly what a homicidal madman he really was with total disregard for human life, including his own people.

I'm far from an expert but the video looked good to me, especially considering the relatively low bitrate when I checked it a couple of times. For me, this movie really shined in it's audio presentation even though it was only DD 5.1. As mentioned, great use of LFE throughout the entire movie and good use of the surround channels. With a good system, you get the feeling you are there in the bunker being shelled along with Hitler, Gobles, Eva and what was left of the rest of the totally deranged Third Reich leaders.

Recommended, especially if you are a WWII buff.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yep, At least a renter if not a keeper. Definately not sympathetic to Hitler. That's nutz!

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Another strong German effort in cinema. Most all the German films that make it stateside seem to be good dramas.

Lots of dispair though... dont watch this movie if your having a down day, its not gonna brighten your mood.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
JohnR - is that the same Hugo Chavez that Pat Robertson wants assassinated by the US Government? You know, the President of Venezuela guy? Hey Pat, are you forgetting about the Canadians? They're not into Bush either (or at least the President with that name). What do you think, strategic nukes or just a couple of the good old fashioned megaton ones? Best to nip Canada in the bud before it turns into a breeding grounds for Canuks that can't cowtow.

Sorry for the OT outburst - it has nothing to do with Hitler. Or does it?

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I would call it a renter, not a keeper. It was interesting, it was good, but it wasn't truly great. Maybe my expectations were raised by all the hype. The acting was excellent all around. I definitely recommend seeing it though.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Funny thing is, this title was released on 8/02/05 and I haven't seen it in the stores at all, I had to rent it.

The stores, Beast Buy in particular, can be remarkably clueless as to what DVDs to have and how many to order. The salesguy at my local Beast said they only got 7 copies and that they were all gone by 2 in the afternoon when he came in to work.

They gave me some sort of rain check but I have little hope.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you can locate a copy with the DTS track, I would highly recommend it. Although I haven't compared it with the Region 1 DD track.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Another thumbs up here. I have been used to viewing WW2 movies from the Allied perspective (Private Ryan, Band of Brothers etc) and from the Jewish perspective (Schindler's List). It is very interesting to see it from another side.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd recommend this film as well as "The Wonderful, Horrible Life Of Leni Riefenstahl" as interesting explorations of how people accepted and even embraced Hitler's Germany. It's scary on many levels, but in particular has one of the most cold-blooded, frightening and sad murder scenes I've seen on film in a long time (involving Goebbel's wife, near the end of the film.)

Dan

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA
Pat is a regular in the Oval Office, his views are not extreme amidst the company he keeps...
That's scarier than any Hitler movie..

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Also agree, a very good movie. A bit long, and the subject matter makes for a decidedly subdued experience overall, but I never got bored or grew tired of it, I enjoyed it. Even the horrible parts....they did a good job in presenting the "ominous" approach of the Red Army.

And if you want to rent the worst WWII movie ever made, I'd steer you towards "When Trumpets Fade" :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Very interesting movie. The dynamics of an unraveling movement are something other WWII films haven't necesarily depicted. At first the hubris of their attitude was almost comical. But then, the regime did see extraordinary success at its peak, so why wouldn't they display deluded confidence at the end.

Excellent picture quality and the LFE and surrounds were very effective.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana_av
But then, the regime did see extraordinary success at its peak, so why wouldn't they display deluded confidence at the end.
Agreed. Although Hitler is definitely off his rocker when, as Berlin is obviously getting overrun, he is just starting to admit that they may not be able to do "far reaching operations" since they are cut off from the oil fields ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Downfall is highly recommended - good PQ and outstanding AQ (on par with SPR, BoB). Was puzzled that the Germans did not seem to have a central "War Room" to coordinate what was left of their forces. Hitler mostly wandered around, hoping that some army that had actually ceased to exist would counterattack and save them. Is this really the way it was???

Although in a very different vein & war, the French film A Very Long Engagement seems to accurately show the appalling conditions in the trenches in WWI. The DVD looks & sounds great in a good HT.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.