AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often wonder if my speakers are a bit overkill for the rest of my system. I've been considering a "downgrade" move to Paradigm's Reference line. Tell me what you think:

System:

Mitsu WS-55411 HD-Ready TV

Rotel RSP-1066 PRe/Pro

Rotel RMB-1075 Power Amp

Rega Planet 2000 CD Player

Panasonic DVD-RP32S

Vienna Acoustics Mozart

Vienna Acoustics Maestro

Vienna Acoustics Haydn

I was think of repacing the Mozarts with Studio 60's or 80's, the Maestro with the CC, and the Haydn's with Studio 20's.

Bill

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Overkill and you have Rotel gear? While Rotel isn't 'top-of-the-line', it is better than what 90% of the people here have.

Yes, those are expensive speakers, but speakers are the most important part of the audio chain (IMHO). I'd have the best as I could get.

Unless you really need the money, keep what you have. You won't be happy downgrading.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Don't downgrade, upgrade. If I were in your situation, I would get a front projection system. So your video performance matches the performance of your speakers. An 80" or larger screen is much more exiting than your current 55". With a larger screen, movie watching becomes more cinematic. It's like having your own movie theater at night!

James

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the suggestion but I'm done upgrading for a while. The only things I'll be looking to get down the road are a better DVD player and an SACD player. I just bought the Mitsu so that's out of the question. Not to mention my room's too small for a front projection system.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Bill,

Your speakers are not overkill. There is no overkill. There is no spoon.

Really, though, you shouldn't drop the quality of your speakers for anything other than needing the money.

Mike

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Front projection systems take up much less space (digital ones) than rear projection units. I my small bedroom 10 x 11, the only thing that will fit without taking up space is a front projection system. And did you know at how affordable front projectors are these days? You can get a Sanyo z1 for like $1600 and a screen for about $200, and you have a great looking front projection system for less than $2000! Because of this, I feel that there is no reason to buy a rear projection unit. They are big, bulky, and their picture is not consistent off axis.

Sorry about being so biased about front projection, but I am still amazed at how a front projection system transformed my home theater.

James

·
Registered
561 Posts
Downgrade a system? thats a new one. ;)

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_B4
I often wonder if my speakers are a bit overkill for the rest of my system. I've been considering a "downgrade" move to Paradigm's Reference line.
There is no such thing as "overkill" especially if you're like those of us who have but one nice sized room for music AND home theater.

OTOH, you may be able to find better things to spend your money on. Unless you're sitting within about 7' of your TV it's not big enough to provide a sense of cinematic impact.

For most domestically acceptable seating distances, front projection is the only practical way to do this.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Bill.

If you like the Vienna Acoustics speakers, don't replace them with Paradigms. The Paradigms. while good in their own right, have a more forward, less refined sound.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bob23_60201
Also, the cabinet work/craftmanship of the Vienna Acoustics speakers is simply superb.
True...Until you see the Onix Rocket and Ref cabinets at which point the bar for superb cabinetry is raised! :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
True...Until you see the Onix Rocket and Ref cabinets at which point the bar for superb cabinetry is raised! :)
Nice try, but the rockets will never be on Vienna's level...cabinet or sound.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cajunlab
VA should be better since they cost considerably more than the Onix Rockets. i have seen and heard the VA Beethovens and they are beautiful, cabinet and sound. but i think the shape of the Rocket cabinets is sexier than that of the conventional box that VA uses and the finish is close or equal to that of the VA. while the Onix Reference speakers utilize a conventional box cabinet, the finish of the Onix Ref 1's is equal to or slightly better than that of VA IMHO. the veneer and glossy lacquer is really something else. it does need to be seen in person and you've got to like glossy finishes. meanwhile since I ain't made of money and gotta work like most folks, i'll take the Onix Refs or Rockets cuz they are the most beautiful sounding speakers i have seen and heard within my budget. :D to top it all off, Mark Schifter is truly a class act and if given the choice between 2 equal products in price and performance, i'd buy from Mark. but as with everything in audio, every opinion is subjective. YMMV. merry x-mas and holiday cheers!

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There is absolutely no need to downgrade your speakers. Your Rotel gear is quite good. I've compared $1000 Rotel amps to $20,000 Mark Levinson amps in a blind test through top of the line B&W speakers and even the store owner could not tell them apart. Your VA speakers are excellent, but the Rotels are perfectly capable of driving even more expensive speakers quite adequately.

I don't consider your system to be mismatched in any way.

My rule of thumb is to always use the best speakers you can afford to buy (which is not the same thing as using the most expensive speakers). I wouldn't hesitate to drive $20,000 to $30,000 speaker systems with your electronics.

Tom B.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Quote:
First of all, we've got to establish where you have heard the Rockets so that you're making an informed judgment. That said, I've listened to the Vienna's in two different setups this summer, and found them to be simply superb both in sonic performance and build quality. To me the Beethovens have a sound very similar to the Rocket 750's, more so than any other speaker I personally have listened to.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
You should check out the Rockets sometime. I think you would be pleasantly surprised on both counts.

You don't always "get what you pay for". On rare occasions you get more. Doesn't happen often enough, but when it does it's quite interesting.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Bombadil
There is absolutely no need to downgrade your speakers. Your Rotel gear is quite good. I've compared $1000 Rotel amps to $20,000 Mark Levinson amps in a blind test through top of the line B&W speakers and even the store owner could not tell them apart. Your VA speakers are excellent, but the Rotels are perfectly capable of driving even more expensive speakers quite adequately.

I don't consider your system to be mismatched in any way.

My rule of thumb is to always use the best speakers you can afford to buy (which is not the same thing as using the most expensive speakers). I wouldn't hesitate to drive $20,000 to $30,000 speaker systems with your electronics.

Tom B.
I agree very much with this statement. I am running Infinity IRS V with an Adcom amplifier.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.