AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that the new ATSC tuner devices will take HD over the air broadcasts and allow them to be recorded in widescreen format at DVD resolution, but can anything similar be done with them for HD cable/satellite broadcasts ?

I would like to be able to record a movie from HDNET or Universal HD but am unsure what would be required.

TIA

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
you will not be able to make a direct digital recording off of HDNET or any other HD cable...that's obvious, but what you can do is to record HD sources via your recorder's s-video input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty7 /forum/post/0

you will not be able to make a direct digital recording off of HDNET or other HD cable...that's obvious, but what you can do is to record HD sources via your recorder's s-video input.

So my HD cable box should send out a downconverted widescreen image over S-VHS ?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteephact /forum/post/0

So my HD cable box should send out a downconverted widescreen image over S-VHS ?

Not exactly. By connecting your box to your recorder via S-vid, the signal is downgraded by default. However, being an HD original, your video quality is still going to be pretty good, widescreen, especially at a higher-res recording speed. Then, once your disc is finalized, if you have an upconverting player, it will improve it a little more.

Unfortunately, the best you'll be able to do for audio is stereo, but your receiver should help there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftBackYank /forum/post/0

Not exactly. By connecting your box to your recorder via S-vid, the signal is downgraded by default. However, being an HD original, your video quality is still going to be pretty good, widescreen, especially at a higher-res recording speed. Then, once your disc is finalized, if you have an upconverting player, it will improve it a little more.

Unfortunately, the best you'll be able to do for audio is stereo, but your receiver should help there.

I never knew I could just take the HD box to the recorder by S-VHS and it would get a signal...I always thought the HD feed would only go through the component out....my bad for never testing it....

Stereo works for me as I am practically tone deaf in one ear anyway...its all mono to me...

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arteephact /forum/post/0

I never knew I could just take the HD box to the recorder by S-VHS and it would get a signal...I always thought the HD feed would only go through the component out....my bad for never testing it....

Stereo works for me as I am practically tone deaf in one ear anyway...its all mono to me...

Thanks for the info.

Depending on what model cable box you own, it may not necessarily be that straightforward. Some boxes will disable the s-video output (its not S-VHS - that's an unrelated tape format that people usually confuse with s-video because S-VHS decks typically used the s-video port as the primary video output) if you are outputting a progressive signal out the component ouputs some will just output a down rez's/non-anamorphic letterboxed output out the s-video port even if you are putting a 480P+ output out the component port. Point being, you may have to fiddle with the box setup menu to get it to work or you might get lucky and it will be working without you having to make any settings changes. Further information regarding what happens to an HD signal ported out the s-video output can be found in the sticky at the top of this forum. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts