AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I thought I would give up a part of my theater even for my first born child. Well, now we're trying to make that first born child and we've hit a few snags. Fertility treatments, specifically invetro, is not inexpensive. For this reason I've made the tough decision to downgrade an item or two in my theater as necessary. I'm going to be selling my beloved Swans 6.1 mains, moving the 2.1s I've had in the back up front, and trying to find a decent set of in-walls for use as surrounds.

I'm looking to spend less than $100 on a single pair of in-walls for use as surrounds. I'd like to match my Swans as closely as possible, but I do understand anything in this price range and type will be a compromise in matching and overall quality. I also understand matching the rears to the front soundstage is not as important, but I'd like to avoid an order-of-magnitude mismatch as much as possible.

I wish HiVi In-Walls were available in the US, but they aren't and would probably be outside of my price range.I'm currently looking at the following models:

Allison AL6IW - $78/pr - Parts Express

Dayton ES65W - $87/pr - Parts Express

HTD MP-W65 - $79/pr - Home Theater Direct

All three models have 1" silk dome tweeters similar to those in my Swans, but I understand this alone won't guarantee a decent match. I'm currently leaning towards the HTDs because of their aimable tweeter and tweeter boost/attenuation switch... both of which, in my mind, makes me think they'll be easier to dial in to somewhat match my mains and also work with my room.

Any other recommendations of brands/models to check out? Any other considerations? Are there any dipole/bipole in-walls in or near my price range?

I'm willing to build back-boxes if need be, but I'm hoping to place them in a pitched part of the ceiling that has insulation/roof directly above it so I don't think they'll be necessary (look at pictures in the article linked in my signature to see my room).

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Stephen...good luck on the fertility treatments.

I don't know their pricing, but I have heard a lot of good things about Sonance inwalls.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I assume you know about the Monoprice in-walls... Won't receiver EQ take care of much of the room adjustment?

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
I have had good luck installing the Parts Express "Dayton" brand in-walls. I was very impressed with their 8" kevlar units...excellent for the price.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm curious about the quality of the Monoprice line... they look like they might be a step down in overall quality, more like a contractor grade item similar to the Dayton CS line. This may or may not have any bearing on their sound, but I'm not sure it inspires confidence either.

I'm so-far split between the Allison (looks to be quality at a closeout price) and HTD (looks to be more adaptable to room/placement). Room EQ can compensate to a degree, but I like that the HTDs can compensate somewhat for the lack of flexibility in placement.

Anyone know of an inwall bipole/dipole in this low price range?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts