AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For purely aesthetic reasons, I have to replace my large Paradigm Phantoms (towers) and CC-370 Centre with something "small" ....and aesthitically pleasing. The dilemma I am in is I do not wish to compromise on the quality of sound that I have come to enjoy all these years with my Paradigms!

The room size is fairly large - 16' x 18' (family room) and it opens up to the kitchen on the side - open layout. I have wall mounted Bose rear speakers ...got them on a good deal so will hang on to these.

Any suggestions on good front speakers for a 3.1 setup? In our case its probably 60% Tv and movie watching and the rest music... powered thru a Denon 2808CI. Was thinking on the lines of a Paradigm Cinema 110 setup ... so Cinema 110 L/R and centre and a PDR12 (or equivalent) sub.

Unfortunately I have never heard the Cinema series since the only store that carry Paradigms in my area don't have these in stock and can only order them for me...

I also found some good bargains on the Energy Take Classic and such... just not sure if it would be an underwhelming experience coming from such large speakers... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnest /forum/post/16912483

For purely aesthetic reasons, I have to replace my large Paradigm Phantoms (towers) and CC-370 Centre with something "small" ....and aesthitically pleasing. The dilemma I am in is I do not wish to compromise on the quality of sound that I have come to enjoy all these years with my Paradigms!

The room size is fairly large - 16' x 18' (family room) and it opens up to the kitchen on the side - open layout. I have wall mounted Bose rear speakers ...got them on a good deal so will hang on to these.

Any suggestions on good front speakers for a 3.1 setup? In our case its probably 60% Tv and movie watching and the rest music... powered thru a Denon 2808CI. Was thinking on the lines of a Paradigm Cinema 110 setup ... so Cinema 110 L/R and centre and a PDR12 (or equivalent) sub.

Unfortunately I have never heard the Cinema series since the only store that carry Paradigms in my area don't have these in stock and can only order them for me...

I also found some good bargains on the Energy Take Classic and such... just not sure if it would be an underwhelming experience coming from such large speakers... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I was thinking about doing the same thing a few weeks ago. I pulled my matching bookshelf speakers off rear duty and borrowed some stands to try as front mains. Boy did they sound fantastic as mains crossed over to a sub (B&W 685's). So good that you couldn't even tell you where listening to bookshelf speakers. The main difference I could tell between the B&W 683 tower and the 685 bookshelf (when crossed over to a sub at 80Hz) was the better midrange driver in the towers (the FST midrange).

I used to be into large "looking" speakers but not anymore. I'd rather have a sound system visually disappear anymore. And I thought it would be cool to get the 685's for every single channel, even the center. But I could easily notice the higher performing mids in the 683 so I decided against getting rid of the towers although if I never heard the 683 I would be extremely happy with the smaller speaker as they do sound very good!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Emig5m. I am with you; had I not heard good, large speakers like the Phantoms, I would probably have not been in such a dilemma. I am not familair with the B&W models you mention though from the one's I have heard at friend's places, the smaller book shelves sound really good when paired with a sub.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts