AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

downloading and burning a windows 7 OS to DVD

well I think I just downloaded windows 7 home premium 64 bit from here
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

so where is it located on my computer and how do I burn it to a DVD so I can install it (using my key code) on a new ssd or HDD for redundancy?

I looked in my docs. And my computer ((in the download section so maybe it did'nt DL)? all previous PC’s the seller provided a OS DVD the win7 machine doe’st come w/ a OS DVD.

I've never done this procedure so step by step instruction would convenient.

Any tips is apperceived

Edit I attemped to redownload and

I do see X15-65733.iso however I don’t know how to proceed w/ buring a DVD.

I opened this X15-65733.iso and see this attached image.

Thanks STB

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd/0_100#post_24481487

downloading and burning a windows 7 OS to DVD

well I think I just downloaded windows 7 home prelim 64 bit from here
http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-iso-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

so where is it located on my computer and how do I burn it to a DVD so I can install it (using my key code) on a new ssd or HDD for redundancy?

I looked in my docs. And my computer all previous PC’s the seller provided a OS DVD the win7 machine doe’st come w/ a OS DVD.

I've never done this procedure so step by step instruction would convenient.

Any tips is apperceived

Thanks STB

Usually the default location for windows 7 downloads are here:

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd/0_100#post_24483919

Any DVD burning software, like Nero or ImgBurn, will write an iso image to a blank disc.

I thought windows does this automatically and native (ISO burn)

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
Right click on the .iso file and select "Burn disc image" (with a blank disc in the drive of course).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I’ve done after the download.

My computer

downloads

OK I can right click this X15-65733 then open with, I have the option to windows disc. Image burner.

Is this X15-65733 actualley windows 7 OS because it’s appears to be NTI media maker

And the icon doe’snt look like Mfusick icon.

Thanks STB

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd/0_100#post_24484869

Is this X15-65733 actualley windows 7 OS because it’s appears to be NTI media maker

And the icon doe’snt look like Mfusick icon.

Thanks STB

Yes, all the W7 downloads I've ever done were named similar to that

Also, the W7-USB-install tool mfusick linked above will install much faster

Finally, if it's showing NTI media maker, it's because you've installed that program on your computer (or at least a trial of it, possibly bundled with something else) and it "set itself" as the Windows Default Program for handling all *.iso files.

If you insist on the DVD install instead of the faster usb way, then yes choose "Open with" and then "Windows disc image burner"

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd#post_24483987

I thought windows does this automatically and native (ISO burn)
I was under the same assumption, and it may actually be the case. When I right-click an iso on my Win 7 PC it gives me the option to burn it using ImgBurn instead. It could be because of having ImgBurn installed that it overrides the Windows option. I've always tended to shy away from any apps that Microsoft embedded in the OS as bloatware and prefer to stick with third party apps that I know and trust.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd#post_24485175

I was under the same assumption, and it may actually be the case. When I right-click an iso on my Win 7 PC it gives me the option to burn it using ImgBurn instead. It could be because of having ImgBurn installed that it overrides the Windows option. I've always tended to shy away from any apps that Microsoft embedded in the OS as bloatware and prefer to stick with third party apps that I know and trust.
I checked on a Win7 virtual machine that has only my IP cam software so there are no other programs for burning. It says what I mentioned above "Burn disc image" when right-clicking on an .iso file.

In this case I would not recommend the USB install method, just burn the disc and move on. I'm also wondering if installing Win7 from scratch is even a good idea. The OP would need to be able to identify, download, locate, and install missing drivers which is a bit more difficult than burning a disc image.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd#post_24485531

In this case I would not recommend the USB install method, just burn the disc and move on.
I've gotta disagree with you here. I use the USB install method exclusively now for any Windows OS install. It's much faster than an optical disc and is perfect for setting up SFF PCs with no internal optical drive.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd#post_24485886

I've gotta disagree with you here. I use the USB install method exclusively now for any Windows OS install. It's much faster than an optical disc and is perfect for setting up SFF PCs with no internal optical drive.

Normally I"d agree with you as well, but this is a special case.

Reactions: blueiedgod

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
FWIW, on my workstation, I don't have "Burn Disc Image" on my context menu for .ISO files, but I do have:

Open

Open With => PowerISO
.....................Windows Disc Image Burner
.....................WinRAR

I don't remember if I had to go and add the "Windows Image Disc Burner" after installing WinRAR and PowerISO, but there is a possibility depending on what software is installed on OP's PC that it doesn't have the native "Burn Disc Image" on the context menu anymore.

But looking at a clean install of Win7 on my laptop, "Burn Disc Image" is the default action for the file.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd#post_24486029

FWIW, on my workstation, I don't have "Burn Disc Image" on my context menu for .ISO files, but I do have:

Open

Open With => PowerISO
.....................Windows Disc Image Burner
.....................WinRAR

I don't remember if I had to go and add the "Windows Image Disc Burner" after installing WinRAR and PowerISO, but there is a possibility depending on what software is installed on OP's PC that it doesn't have the native "Burn Disc Image" on the context menu anymore.

But looking at a clean install of Win7 on my laptop, "Burn Disc Image" is the default action for the file.

If you change the default back to Windows Disc Image Burner the "Burn Disk Image" should come back to the context menu.

@ Steve: NTI Media Maker sounds like some bloatware preinstalled on your computer. I would uninstall it

·
Banned
5,023 Posts
Last time I downloaded Image burn (decent program ) it came with some male ware ................fortunately I had a clean copy on an older back up although I used the Windows Disc Image Burner the "Burn Disk Image" on my last clean W7 install after replacing a dodgy Hdd recently it worked fine.

Power ISO sounds like something that you might not need I would get rid of it .

I have run into *some * OEM bios that will not allow to set boot from USB option.

·
Banned
2,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister  /t/1522519/downloading-and-burning-a-windows-7-os-to-dvd#post_24486475

Last time I downloaded Image burn (decent program ) it came with some male ware ................fortunately I had a clean copy on an older back up although I used the Windows Disc Image Burner the "Burn Disk Image" on my last clean W7 install after replacing a dodgy Hdd recently it worked fine.

Power ISO sounds like something that you might not need I would get rid of it .

I have run into *some * OEM bios that will not allow to set boot from USB option.

I use PowerISO daily. I wouldn't dream of getting rid of it.

The Windows tool is great for burning images but that's all it can do. When you are changing the contents of those ISOs you need something more.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts