AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The concept of downloading demos online (for PC's) or using discs for distribution has been around for a while now. However, I think it's such a great innovation from Microsoft to allow their broadband user community to download game demos from the comfort of the XBOX 360. Sure it has one significant quirk, which is the lack of multitasking when downloading. Hopefully this will be resolved in time.

It's so convenient to simply download games from the Dashboard and try games before you purchase. It's a win for the consumer since it forces game developers/publisher to release better quality games to the public. Through the XBL demo feature, I already have a list of games I want to purchase, and those I care not for.

I foresee an even better use of this feature for developers/publishers....Proof of Concept demos. The current crop of demos are for games that are either already released, or are near the end of their development life cycle. Imagine being able to download a game that has not reached full development. Instead, you have a game that developers want you to test run so they can evaluate whether or not the game is worth going mainstream. Instead of letting the publisher decide the fate of the game, the user community indirectly makes the decision.

Thoughts??

Another great feature: XBL Arcade. This doesn't even take into account how XBL Arcade games affect traditional games.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Downloading demos is a great new addition. I hope they add the ability to do more while downloading as I don't see why I couldn't play a XBL Arcade game while waiting.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree 100%. This is one of those features that really make the 360 feel "next gen". I would have never thought I would like Fight Night, but now I might just have to get it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I predict this is what will distinguish the 360 in the next gen console race. Many of us hardcore gamers are not super impressed with increased poly counts and the latest lighting/shader/etc... effects. This gen is not going to be won or lost due to graphics, its the value-add as an entertainment centerpiece in the AV rack that is going to determine the winner.

Let's look at what Microsoft is doing right:

There is a fully baked online strategy (in its second generation) and Microsoft controls the Live network instead of leaving it to 3rd party publishers like (cough) Sony (cough). The latter "strategy" results in an uneven and uninspired online experience for all but a few games like SOCOM, and pretty much eliminates the opportunity for an Xbox Arcade minigame purchase experience. Live is what makes this console shine, without it we have just another game player.

There is an integration story with other electronics in the home like MP3 players, PC's and Media Center. Yes it can be a bit difficult at the moment to make these pieces communicate together but the fact is they *can* be made to interoperate in a way that extends the usefulness of the game console. My wife was super happy to finally get access to all of the CD's I've ripped to the computer through the 360. She actually picked up the controller for the first time in years, and it wasn't to play a game, it was to play music. Awesome.

Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, I submit in the 360 has the potential to demonstrate this for many people. Is it perfect ? No way but it's severals steps in the right direction towards being a very useful convergence device.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
At heart I'm a bit of a Sony fanboy because I own a few shares SNE. But mainly I'm a gamer and I just love my 360. I expected it to be great, but it has surpassed my highest expectations.

Looking forward to PS3 too, I think this gen the "I own both" fanbase will be huge.

Arcade is wonderful, can't wait to see more of the Live experience brought to arcade titles. Thats the only problem with Hexic, Bejeweled and Zuma, still in the old single player model.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
its a great feature, but at the present could be better. Why only have a couple demos available? and they really need to make a patch which at least lets you play a single player game while downloading.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree. It allowed me to try two games that I was somewhat interested in, Condemned and FN3. The demos showed me that Condemned isn't for me, I didn't realize that it was going to be that much of a flashlight game. I just don't find the fun in fumbling in a dark house with a flashlight. And I found out that FN3 is a lot of fun, even though I'm not a boxing fan and I generally don't play fighting games.

And Live arcade is a great idea also. I didn't think I was going to like anything there, but so far I bought 3 arcade games already.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver
its a great feature, but at the present could be better. Why only have a couple demos available? and they really need to make a patch which at least lets you play a single player game while downloading.
Yes, there could definitely be improvements such as being able to multitask (ie. play XBL Arcade while downloading). However, I think there are plenty of demos available for download. Close to 10 if I'm not mistaken. This is half of the available games on the market.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree downloading demos and trailers is really cool and it's definitely something MS did right! But at the same time, it shows how the system was released with a HD in mind! Core users miss a lot ...

Quote:
Arcade is wonderful, can't wait to see more of the Live experience brought to arcade titles. Thats the only problem with Hexic, Bejeweled and Zuma, still in the old single player model.
I'd love multiplayer games, mostly split/same screen. Live arcade is something that you can easily pick up & play. I just don't think online enabled should be focus on XBLA games. Getting the online part might be a bit too hard and drive prices up for these little games. I just love how you can play these little games for 1/2 hour or so.

·
Registered
16,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbugz
However, I think there are plenty of demos available for download. Close to 10 if I'm not mistaken. This is half of the available games on the market.

Yep , there are 9 demos total on the Marketplace (not including Xbox LIVE Arcade trial games) .

---------- Jason

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb
Downloading demos is a great new addition. I hope they add the ability to do more while downloading as I don't see why I couldn't play a XBL Arcade game while waiting.

This would be the only reason I ahve not downloaded a demo yet. There is rumor that the next dashboard or 'guide' update will allow your to play games while downloading

·
Registered
206 Posts
I haven't had the chance to dl any games yet (360 took a **** on me) but I'm looking forward to trying out a few games such and FN3. I think it would be cool if they had HD tv shows for download kind of like how apple itunes does. I live in a ****** town and we dont' have cable hd tv yet so all I get is 3 channels over the air hd (nbc, abc, and PBS). I would really like to see Smallville in HD (no I'm not gay its a great show), some Fox shows and some Discovery channel shows such as American Chopper in HD but I can't I think having them for dl would also be cool. They could also go do some 5.1 songs like dvd-a cds. Movies would have been reall cool but that would have required a huge hard drive to download a entire movie in hd 5.1 DTS.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Yes to d/l game demos, but also big props to MS for d/l of the full Live Arcade games at a low low price (nice, do more classics with updated graphics :) and the high def movie trailers on demand are also very handy.

The whole marketplace feature is potentially genius and this factor makes the harddrive a very desirable peripheral for the 360. 360 may not have the HDD built-in but it's about as close to being a must have peripheral as you can get...

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Yes, there could definitely be improvements such as being able to multitask (ie. play XBL Arcade while downloading). However, I think there are plenty of demos available for download. Close to 10 if I'm not mistaken. This is half of the available games on the market.

when I go on I only see 3 demos!?!?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Go into the Marketplace. Some are under "new demos and trailers" and the rest are under "other demos and trailers" or something like that.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Quote:
The concept of downloading demos online (for PC's) or using discs for distribution has been around for a while now. However, I think it's such a great innovation from Microsoft to allow their broadband user community to download game demos from the comfort of the XBOX 360. Sure it has one significant quirk, which is the lack of multitasking when downloading. Hopefully this will be resolved in time.

It's so convenient to simply download games from the Dashboard and try games before you purchase. It's a win for the consumer since it forces game developers/publisher to release better quality games to the public. Through the XBL demo feature, I already have a list of games I want to purchase, and those I care not for.

I foresee an even better use of this feature for developers/publishers....Proof of Concept demos. The current crop of demos are for games that are either already released, or are near the end of their development life cycle. Imagine being able to download a game that has not reached full development. Instead, you have a game that developers want you to test run so they can evaluate whether or not the game is worth going mainstream. Instead of letting the publisher decide the fate of the game, the user community indirectly makes the decision.

Thoughts??

Another great feature: XBL Arcade. This doesn't even take into account how XBL Arcade games affect traditional games.
It's such an obvious development, I would not call it an innovation.

Downloadable demos have been online for years.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt

Not on consoles, though. It's innovative because it could progress console gaming, and it had never been done before. Before, you had to buy console demos. Now, you can download them directly to your console for free. By definition, innovative.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
we need more arcade games ... :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I haven't paid for a single piece of content yet and don't really plan on it. Right now I'm playing Hexic more than anything else on the system.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt

You must not have read my first sentence when I mentioned downloadable demos have been around for a while. The innovation is from a gaming console perspective. Do you remember being able to download a demo of Mega Man on your Nintendo with your speedy 200 bps analog modem??

The point I was trying to get across was Microsoft reached new grounds - innovative. Yes, the idea has been around, but the thought has NEVER been applied to consoles. The possibilites of what MS can do with this new application is enormous. I just hope they capitalize on this potential thus benefiting the gamers.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.