Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbugz
The point I was trying to get across was Microsoft reached new grounds - innovative. Yes, the idea has been around, but the thought has NEVER been applied to consoles. The possibilites of what MS can do with this new application is enormous. I just hope they capitalize on this potential thus benefiting the gamers.
Its still something they could have done with Live 2 years ago. But instead another attempt to obsolete my perfectly good Xbox even though I pay the same for Live everybody else does.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I have to second (third) that it would be awesome if i could play a game or something while the demo is downloading. that is a killer...i haven't even tried fight night yet because it takes too long to d/l.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenkaipalm
Not on consoles, though. It's innovative because it could progress console gaming, and it had never been done before. Before, you had to buy console demos. Now, you can download them directly to your console for free. By definition, innovative.
Plus, this is one area where a centralized system provides something you cannot get on a non-centralized system. I like being able to download all the demos in one place, without having to look very hard. I'll definitely make purchase decisions based on the demo downloads.

·
Registered
16,526 Posts
We need more demos of Un-Released games (like Fight Night) to really get people excited about what the future has in store . I mean Fight Night:R3 and Full Auto(OXM) are the only 2 playable demos that have popped up for games that are not already available at retail and we keep hearing about all these games that are coming soon ... well lets have a sample of it :D . Heck even some WMV-HD of all those coming soon games would be cool IMO , show me a glimpse of what I might be playing in 3-6 months ( 'Lost Planet' sounded cool to me at first but after watching the video I am no longer interested ) . I know it does not always make sense to show off an unfinished playable product but certainly they can at least whip up some real time cgi to tempt us with . There is so much 360 gaming footage on the net that is lacking in image quality wouldn't it benefit M$ to get some HD-WMV's on the Marketplace ( heck there is a nice little GoW trailer on the original kiosk disc that was not even playable at the kiosk and I would like to see it in 720p WMV-HD glory ) .

M$ really needs a new Kiosk disc as well , toss Fight Night:R3 on there and watch the crowds gather all over again ;) .

------------- Jason

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver
when I go on I only see 3 demos!?!?

List the demos "By Game". Anything with more than two downloadable items might have a demo attached. So far, I've downloaded:

FN3- awesome

Kameo- beatiful

EA NFL 06- meh

Condemned- pretty good game

Quake 4- not as bad as some people have said, but a bit disappointing nevertheless- I know that Raven/ID are more than capable.

and one more I can't remember

PGR3 just came available for download in the past day or two.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp
We need more demos of Un-Released games (like Fight Night) to really get people excited about what the future has in store . Jason

Yeah, and uh, Gears of War. :)

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Quote:
You must not have read my first sentence when I mentioned downloadable demos have been around for a while. The innovation is from a gaming console perspective. Do you remember being able to download a demo of Mega Man on your Nintendo with your speedy 200 bps analog modem??

The point I was trying to get across was Microsoft reached new grounds - innovative. Yes, the idea has been around, but the thought has NEVER been applied to consoles. The possibilites of what MS can do with this new application is enormous. I just hope they capitalize on this potential thus benefiting the gamers.
Main Entry: in·no·va·tion

Function: noun

1 : the introduction of something new

Is bottled water an innovation? Compared to rain water, or tap water?

Does a derivative product constitute an innovation?

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom
I'd say that having all the demos in one place for easy download qualifies as something new.
I agree with that.

I love that feature, even though I prefer to get them on a disc via mail. (dowloading 500MB over DSL takes a lot of time)

(The devil in me says: " http://www.fileplanet.com/ has had that for years.")

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralt

There's nothing new under the sun :D. As I saw pointed out in an article at FiringSquad (" Seven Things That the Xbox 360 Does Better Than Anyone Else ", page 3, item #3):
Quote:
What makes demos on Xbox 360 better than PC demos is that you don't have to worry about installing or uninstalling the software. When you download a PC demo, you may have to deal with random software being installed on your PC such as StarForce or uninstallers that leave tons of registry entries behind. On Xbox 360, this isn't a problem. I know downloadable game demos have been around on PCs since the BBS era, but Xbox Live is bringing that to the console. You get PC flexibility with console reliability and no one else has that capability yet.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I saw a article today saying Gears of War demo will be coming soon, how soon it didn't say I would just love to have it and a release date.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4ever84
I saw a article today saying Gears of War demo will be coming soon, how soon it didn't say I would just love to have it and a release date.
I hope this is true and I hope this game ends up having a story that goes beyond Holywood's scenarios.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Quote:

I would argue...YES! Companies such as Apple are considered innovative. Why is the iPod innovative? MP3 Players existed before Digital Music for Dummies demographic. Sliced bread was innovative.

To take your argument to an extreme, is the automobile innovative? Cars are a form of transportation, but horse and carriage have been around for years. Derivative?? How about cellular phones. They're merely wireless derivatives of your land line.

Evolution and reinvention of products that lead to enhancements and new feature sets are innovative in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Quote:

Does a derivative product an innovation?
You've said it yourself. Innovation is introduction of something new.

In this case the innovation by Microsoft is in using the hard disk on a console to download playable game demos from a centralized service. Even a derivative thing is innovative until it becomes commonplace.

·
Registered
16,526 Posts
WHO CARES ... just give us more cool demos to drool over :D :D :D !!!

------------ Jason

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
"I hope this is true and I hope this game ends up having a story that goes beyond Holywood's scenarios. "

The fact that your guy's name is the cringe-inducing "Marcus Fenix" doesn't give me much hope for the writing. I wonder if you have squadmates named "Hank Steel" and "Jack Dragon". And maybe there is a bad guy named "Victor Necross".

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Downloadable demos is brilliant. It was brilliant in the PC world and its brilliant in the console world now. As a person who does not buy any of the magazines with demo disks I am very pleased to be able to download and try a game.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Quote:
I would argue...YES! Companies such as Apple are considered innovative. Why is the iPod innovative? MP3 Players existed before Digital Music for Dummies demographic. Sliced bread was innovative.

To take your argument to an extreme, is the automobile innovative? Cars are a form of transportation, but horse and carriage have been around for years. Derivative?? How about cellular phones. They're merely wireless derivatives of your land line.

Evolution and reinvention of products that lead to enhancements and new feature sets are innovative in my opinion.
Well, usage dictates the meaning of words. After all, dictionaries are meant to document common usage.

The meaning of "innovation" has changed with the rise of "marketing".

Foolish as I am, I keep thinking "innovation" should only be used to describe things like the wheel, the printing press, the incandescent light bulb, the telephone, the steam engine, the transistor, etc.

I reckon you guys are wiser to go with the times.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.